Crossmen 1990 vs. Blue Devils 2010

Poll  

118 members have voted

1. 1. Which show did you enjoy more live?

• Crossmen 1990
    • Blue Devils 2010

I'm not voting, since I didn't see Crossmen '90 until I purchased the VHS, circa 2000. (The only groups I saw live in 1990 were Cavaliers, Phantom Regiment, Dutch Boy, Blue Knights, Boston Crusaders, Magic of Orland, Troopers and Railmen.) When I saw the tape, I really enjoyed the Crossmen show, particularly the tricky rhythms of the catchy "Now or Never". A few years later, I heard a high school choir do an electrifying performance of that piece, and finally sought out the New York Voices CD. Turns out I prefer the Crossmen's arrangement to the original.

However, watching the DVD last night, I think I might even give '90 Bluecoats the edge over '90 Crossmen. Interesting that these two groups, who both played "Caravan", were four tenths apart in 7th and 8th positions, but Crossmen were separated from the 6th place Vanguard by more than four points.

In comparison to the Blue Devils? Well, when considering questions of art and entertainment, I sometimes think of the 1993 Oscars. Two of the Best Picture nominees were Schindler's List and The Fugitive. I have no doubt that Schindler's List is the better film, but I'm likelier to watch The Fugitive again. I don't think Crossmen '90 is even at The Fugitive level --more like the Dave or El Mariachi of its year-- but I'm certainly likelier to listen to their show, if not watch it, more often than Blue Devils '10.

Simple poll. Which show did you find more enjoyable? If you could choose to watch either of these shows live one more time, which one would it be?

(Please only vote if you saw both shows live.)

1990 Crossmen without a doubt.....

starting cheering for the Crossmen in 1987....I always liked them....and when they brought a strong full corps out in 1990...it was a great day.

I have a cassette recording of their Montclair NJ performance...started raining (hard) about 1/2 way in to their opener....I listen to it sometimes.....lol

For those newer fans...in the older days...you could record a local drum corps show.......big boom box radios were popular and that's what recorded the Montclair show....

Just watched it again ... without a doubt, Now or Never is DA BOMB! On a Godly plane!!!!!!

Intro = Corpsgams

Drum Feature = Writing Genius

Ability to focus the featured segments and have great staging for all elements = Lost Artform

Guard wedge in the closer going into the Contra/Bassline feature = sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeetness!

Last 2:00 of the show is untouchable.

Were they dirty? Sure. Is the visual on par with today's requirements? No. Does it matter? HECK NO!

Sop intonation really didn't bother me as much back then when a corps was crankin it out .. and they did.

Crossmen wins easily in this poll.

Wait, do you also have the recording of us singing the show under the bleachers in the rain? I don't know anyone that has that but it is one of those days that one never forgets...

1990 Crossmen without a doubt.....

starting cheering for the Crossmen in 1987....I always liked them....and when they brought a strong full corps out in 1990...it was a great day.

I have a cassette recording of their Montclair NJ performance...started raining (hard) about 1/2 way in to their opener....I listen to it sometimes.....lol

For those newer fans...in the older days...you could record a local drum corps show.......big boom box radios were popular and that's what recorded the Montclair show....

cause one had melody you could follow and one was 11 minutes of white noise