Show order for Alumni Spec.?

How is the order settled evtry year? It was a pain to get going for 10 am. I thought that Scout House had somewhat paid their dues and could go on later in the program. Who decides what? I'd really like to know. I'd like to think that DCA had us on earlier to get more of a crowd in, seeing as that we do a full field show, and have a great following. I try to think posetively.

Thanks

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How is the order settled evtry year? It was a pain to get going for 10 am. I thought that Scout House had somewhat paid their dues and could go on later in the program. Who decides what? I'd really like to know. I'd like to think that DCA had us on earlier to get more of a crowd in, seeing as that we do a full field show, and have a great following. I try to think posetively.

Thanks

I was told this past weekend that originally the alumni of senior corps would go on last, while the alumni of junior corps would go on early.

At this year's show, for example, Sky Alums and Hawthorne would have been on last in some order, while the junior corps alumni (Scout house, Boston, St. Joe's, Optimists, Bridgemen) would have opened the show in some order. I have no idea what would have been done about Park City, since they don't represent any one corps - either junior or senior.

I don't know if what I was told is true, but it certainly isn't in effect any longer - even if that's how it started. Perhaps Tom Peashey can fill us in on this aspect of the show.

Thanks

All I know is... Scout House rocked the place, old-school style, at 10 AM this year. I had an "up close and personal" view from the front sideline..... GREAT show!!!!!

"Waltzing Matilda" is on my list of drum corps classics.

And the march-off to "Colonel Bogey".... it just doesn't get any better. :thumbdown::starwars:

Tom Peashey can't help you... all things Alumni Spectacular are handled by Larry Hershman... I do know that a number of alumni corps drove him nuts as he tried to accommodate their needs due to performance conflicts... the final order was quite different from the first I saw... and it was the alumni directors themselves who changed it.

Other than that - if an alumni corps director has a question... it should be taken up directly with Larry.

I was told this past weekend that originally the alumni of senior corps would go on last, while the alumni of junior corps would go on early.

At this year's show, for example, Sky Alums and Hawthorne would have been on last in some order, while the junior corps alumni (Scout house, Boston, St. Joe's, Optimists, Bridgemen) would have opened the show in some order. I have no idea what would have been done about Park City, since they don't represent any one corps - either junior or senior.

I don't know if what I was told is true, but it certainly isn't in effect any longer - even if that's how it started. Perhaps Tom Peashey can fill us in on this aspect of the show.

The way the draw is done is exactly the way you have mentioned above. DCA corps go on towards the end and the rest of us draw from 1-7.

The only way it can change if a corps asks another corps to switch and if both agree, letters are sent to DCA and the change occurs.

This year there were 2 switches and were both agreed upon by the corps involved and by DCA.

Hope this clears it up for you.

George

Edited by gmanbay41

All I know is that the Alumni Spectacular was the best it has been in years.....top to bottom ALL the Alumni's were on top of their game, ALL were entertaining, and ALL absolutely blew me away!!! :starwars:

I am going to say this, and I really hope I don't get boooed by any of you on this.....

I am normally not a fan of Scout House, and after seeing them in Lewisburg back in July, I wasn't sure I wanted to be there that early to see them.....but I am so glad I did. Their drill was outstanding Sunday morning, and their horn impacts were just incredible. Their entire production was top notch from start to finish. Thank you for making me a believer!!!! :thumbdown:

Next to Hawthorne and Bayonne, I can't wait to see what Scout House does next year!!!!

Edited by FPonzo

Don't know if anyone else caught it but, when the Bridgemen were first announced coming on to the field they were announced......"and from Bridgemen New Jersey"........ :thumbdown:

Don't know if anyone else caught it but, when the Bridgemen were first announced coming on to the field they were announced......"and from Bridgemen New Jersey"........ :thumbdown:

I wasn't sure but some around me caught it..... :starwars:

One of the competing corps sounded like they were from "Wallmart". Can't remember which night...

All I know is that the Alumni Spectacular was the best it has been in years.....top to bottom ALL the Alumni's were on top of their game, ALL were entertaining, and ALL absolutely blew me away!!! :starwars:

I am going to say this, and I really hope I don't get boooed by any of you on this.....

I am normally not a fan of Scout House, and after seeing them in Lewisburg back in July, I wasn't sure I wanted to be there that early to see them.....but I am so glad I did. Their drill was outstanding Sunday morning, and their horn impacts were just incredible. Their entire production was top notch from start to finish. Thank you for making me a believer!!!! :thumbdown:

Next to Hawthorne and Bayonne, I can't wait to see what Scout House does next year!!!!

...I couldn't agree more, Frank! They knocked me down with the opening statement and went on from there...no cobwebs after *THAT* performance! I've done the entire Alumni Spectacular for 8 years now and they just keep getting better! There is a competition of sorts; informal for sure, but competition nonetheless...for me the Mini's are the quintessential performances of DCA weekend, a great gunfight at the OK Corral; next in my hierarchy is the Alumni show; and ironically, the "real" drum corps competition, great as it is, comes in a *very* close 3rd, LOL...but that's just me, lovin' it ALL with minor prioritization! :tongue:

cg

...I couldn't agree more, Frank! They knocked me down with the opening statement and went on from there...no cobwebs after *THAT* performance! I've done the entire Alumni Spectacular for 8 years now and they just keep getting better! There is a competition of sorts; informal for sure, but competition nonetheless...for me the Mini's are the quintessential performances of DCA weekend, a great gunfight at the OK Corral; next in my hierarchy is the Alumni show; and ironically, the "real" drum corps competition, great as it is, comes in a *very* close 3rd, LOL...but that's just me, lovin' it ALL with minor prioritization! :thumbdown:

cg

That makes two of us.