A Plea to the Phantom Regiment Organization

To the Legendary members, staff, BoD and alumni of EVERY era within the Regiment organization:

You are, without doubt, one of, if not THE most beloved corps in DCI. Musically, we always know what to expect from you. Your passion is almost always in full gear when you hit the field. Your dedication to staying true to your identity has been unmatched by any corps since 1971. There just aren't enough good things I can say about what you have brought to the drum corps community and the memories you have generated that will last a lifetime.

Going deeper into this post, I'm going to sound critical on a few points. I hope you take them in the context in which they are meant. It's tough LOVE! Because I do love you so very much. Or, maybe it's just utter confusion.

A few years back, you acquired a new corps director from the Santa Clara Vanguard. Mr. Valenzuela seems to be doing a good job of keeping things running smoothly from an administration standpoint. My deepest fear is the loss of top shelf staff that has taken place in the past 3 seasons. Normally, I wouldn't point at the director for such departures but there is a history with Mr. Valenzuela in his tenure at Vanguard as well. There seems to be a rift between the staff and administration (and I'll include the program advisers in with administration).

Since 2007 the following staff has been lost:

Adam Sage - After leaving for Crown there was a distinct drop in the Guards level of performance and overall book. This is still recovering with no end in sight.

Paul Rennick now leaves the staff to head to SCV. After winning 3 percussion trophies in 5 years, there seems to be no explanation of why this extremely talented arranger/caption head would leave a segment of the corps that is reaching legendary status.

These were 2 major losses that seem unsubstantiated at best. The corps continues to struggle from a visual design standpoint, which is hard to believe with a man like Rosander handling this caption. Without knowing any details all we can do as fans is speculate.

At first glance, it seems the Program Advisers who are coming up with the show designs are a direct result of departures. At second glance, a transient staff was also a trademark at Vanguard under Mr. Valenzuela's administration. Thank the drum corps Gods that Mr. Shaw is still in place as arranger and caption head of the brass department. His roots run deep within the PR organization and it is my hope that he will have a tenure as long and successful as the legendary Mr. Wren.

I find myself frustrated and asking the simple question WHY? Why is the staff so transient? Why are you losing top shelf talent immediately following a World Championship in 2008? Why would the drum corps worlds best percussion arranger and caption head leave the organization in the same manner as Mr. Sage?

Was it money? Was it a lack of satisfaction in working with other key staff positions? Was it a lack of direction from the Executive Director in keeping all the different parts working together in harmony? Was it personal differences in philosophy?

From the outside looking in, it seems to be differences of opinion in direction of the corps and an inability to work as a team on the design staff. It also seems to be a pattern with Mr. Valenzuela. This entire scenario scares the crap out of us phans and loyal supporters of your corps.

The next question is HOW? How can the Phantom Regiment organization continue to let these departures happen without a fight. How can an ED maintain his position in the midst of the greatest talents in DCI staff leaving the organization? How can the program coordinators/advisers (while having the longest tenures on staff) continue to maintain their positions within the organization after seeing such a massive swing in product excellence over the course of the past 3 seasons?

Please, someone help us to understand. It's breaking my heart to see things continue down this path. I posed most of this post in the form of questions because they are just that ... questions. I'm not here to point fingers without the facts ... as said, all I/we can do is speculate. You are Beloved Phantom Regiment ...... we just want what's best for you and your continued success. It's just hard to follow the logic of the administrations actions/inactions as things move forward.

Edited for spelling .. and to tie in the subtitle of the post: What we're seeing take place at PR could easily be mistaken for insanity. Something or someone has to be pushing the great talent on staff out the door.

Edited by supersop

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I share your concerns, but an open letter to Rick Valenzuela posted here is not a good use of bandwidth. A corps' executive director can't answer your questions here. He probably can't even discuss them privately, with a phan or alum.

Are you really addressing this to RV? Or are you hoping that somebody else with personal knowledge of the situation will fill you in here? Or are you just hoping that the board rises up and makes a change in leadership? I guess it's option three, given your thread title...

I don't know, open letters like this seem to me to be intended more for dramatic effect or to have another agenda than a genuine, heartfelt plea for open disclosure from the top. That seems disingenuous.

I do understand and sympathize with your frustration, though. It's not a good time for Phantom Phans.

Edited by Peel Paint

I share your concerns, but an open letter to Rick Valenzuela posted here is not a good use of bandwidth. A corps' executive director can't answer your questions here. He probably can't even discuss them privately, with a phan or alum.

Are you really addressing this to RV? Or are you hoping that somebody else with personal knowledge of the situation will fill you in here? Or are you just hoping that the board rises up and makes a change in leadership? I guess it's option three, given your thread title...

I don't know, open letters like this seem to me to be intended more for dramatic effect or to have another agenda than a genuine, heartfelt plea for open disclosure from the top. That seems disingenuous.

I do understand and sympathize with your frustration, though. It's not a good time for Phantom Phans.

I've sent anonymous letters to the BoD in the past. This isn't the first time I've addressed the PR organization in such a manner. I have already received some emails that were both enlightening and partially confirming my fears. After thinking further on this matter, I'm less likely to point the finger at Rick V. and more looking in the direction of Dan Farrell. He has held the position of Program Coordinator since 1993. Throughout that time period, the programs have been hit or miss. Sometimes creating masterpieces .... while most times being mediocre at best. He and his family have deep roots within the PR organization and seem to have a stranglehold on the Design end of things. That must make it very hard for other caption heads to have input with regards to the overall show design.

I guess I look at it this way. If you don't have equal players coming to the table in order to design a show ......... you're strangling the creative juices and handicapping those who are charged with writing the music, drill and guard books (especially, when they have little to no input with regards to design).

Let's not forget, we also lost Jamey Thompson in 2007 and Nick Scotella after the 2008 Championship. So that's 4 major caption heads/designers in 4 years.

To answer your question, I'm addressing this to PR alumni, Rick V, the BoD at PR and everyone within the DCP community. There has to be a logical reason why this much talent has come to and left the PR organization in such a short time frame. The only major players still on staff since the 2008 Championship are Shaw, Valenzuela and Farrell. Shaw is more than doing his job ......... so who does that leave left to question?

Edited by supersop

Let's not forget, we also lost Jamey Thompson in 2007 and Nick Scotella after the 2008 Championship. So that's 4 major caption heads/designers in 4 years.

I just want to mention that Jamey left after 07 for family reasons and Nick was gone after the 09 season, not 08.

I just want to mention that Jamey left after 07 for family reasons and Nick was gone after the 09 season, not 08.

Sorry, I didn't think the departure time of Nick was in question with the addition of Rosander in 2010.

I can and will always respect someone leaving a political office or staff position for family reasons. I'm sure that was the case with Jamey.

I guess the big point is, all of these people are "leaving" ... not being fired or "let go".

To answer your question, I'm addressing this to PR alumni, Rick V, the BoD at PR and everyone within the DCP community. There has to be a logical reason why this much talent has come to and left the PR organization in such a short time frame. The only major players still on staff since the 2008 Championship are Shaw, Valenzuela and Farrell. Shaw is more than doing his job ......... so who does that leave left to question?

I do agree with you. And I feel your pain.

Well, let's see... Jeff Feidler from Cavies went to SCV. Rick Valenzuela from SCV went to PR. Now Paul Rennick from PR went to SCV. Which means that pretty soon....

Aha. Oho. Umhmm: Drum Corp's version of 'musical chairs'.