You know you're a "Fossil"...

You're a fossil if you know these names and you can name the corps they taught, both junior and senior. Many of them were state, and National Champions when those titles meant something (and a bunch of DCA titles as well): Dreitzer, Perriloux, Thompson, Angelica, Parks, Costello, DeLucia, Kubinak, Kerchner, Genero, Cluna, Bunce, Freising, Shellmar, Poole, Denon . . .

You're a fossil if you know these names and you can name the corps they taught, both junior and senior. Many of them were state, and National Champions when those titles meant something (and a bunch of DCA titles as well): Dreitzer, Perriloux, Thompson, Angelica, Parks, Costello, DeLucia, Kubinak, Kerchner, Genero, Cluna, Bunce, Freising, Shellmar, Poole, Denon . . .

Wow!! I must be a super-fossil!! I not only knew many of those men, but I competed against several of them when they were in junior corps - before their instructing careers even began. Angelica from Holy Name; Shellmar from Boston; etc., etc. And some of those whom I didn't know from junior corps were instructors corps against which I competed regularly - Ed Denon, for example.

Andy, you and I must qualify as 'super-fossils!' We both know these men and their accomplishments, yet thousands marching today know little or nothing about them. :sad:

I remember going to the first show of the season and doing drill up to the exit......and standing still for the rest of the time on the field.How about sleeping in the over head luggage compartments in the bus? Kool Aid in a huge container in the front of the bus.Chaperones walking the aisles on late night trips.Hanging uniform bags around the seats so you could 'neck".Eating ..or trying to eat the 'hard as a rock " pretzels in NY at the Columbus Day or St.Pattys Day parades.Pushing the bus to get it started !!!!!!!!!!!

Some GREAT names there, who produced some wonderful corps and shows. Les Parks wrote BS 1970 drum book, taught by the great Bobby Thompson...Frank Kubinak on the drill. Gerry Shellmer produced some great percussion lines, with BAC and the Sunrisers in 69 both using bells, well...for as long as they were allowed to, anyway.

Don Angelica was able to teach this percussion major how to play the baritone in 72, so he MUST have been a great teacher! :tongue:

Of course there are lots of other names as well...such as Danny Raymond and George Tuthill (my own vote for unsung genius) on drums, among others.

Of course there are lots of other names as well...such as Danny Raymond and George Tuthill (my own vote for unsung genius) on drums, among others.

Two more greats, to be sure -- and how in the world could I have forgotten to include George Tuthill?? :doh: That man was a musical genius, to put it mildly, and one heck of a nice guy as well. We still play some of his charts in the Alumni, including his drum arrangement for 'Cha-Cha Flamenco!'

Two more greats, to be sure -- and how in the world could I have forgotten to include George Tuthill?? :doh: That man was a musical genius, to put it mildly, and one heck of a nice guy as well. We still play some of his charts in the Alumni, including his drum arrangement for 'Cha-Cha Flamenco!'

So ... let's throw a few more names out there like George Lopez and Wes Myers ... lots of great drum guys from the 50's, 60's 70's and beyond ... how about Ed Fitzgerald, Art Mura, Bobby Peterson, Lefty Petrakis, Joe Mallen, Billy Kaufman ... and the list goes on and on ...

:-)

Which, of course, referred to The Cavaliers now infamous "Circus" show. Looking back, that show ( along with Madison's "Alice In Wonderland" ) charted the course that led us to today's Theme shows.

Don't forget good old spartacus from phantom. The original that is. Which really kicked off into the themed shows.

• Like 1

...when your corps jacket's were your "colors"...and NO ONE disrespected your colors...OR ELSE!!! :rock:

So ... let's throw a few more names out there like George Lopez and Wes Myers ... lots of great drum guys from the 50's, 60's 70's and beyond ... how about Ed Fitzgerald, Art Mura, Bobby Peterson, Lefty Petrakis, Joe Mallen, Billy Kaufman ... and the list goes on and on ...

:-)

Ah, the first competitive corps I marched with, the Livingston NJ Imperial Guardsmen, had George Lopez as our drum instructor. A heck of a nice guy, and a great teacher of us young kids...I was 14 and 15 the two years he was my instructor.