Kidsgrove Scouts got hosed!

Tom,

Perhaps you remember that after the storm passed, Reilly went on....they had a little dance thing during "Fascinatin' Rhythm" where their dancer went down because of a slippery patch. Also later in the show, Les Dips did an entire corps block pivot....first time I ever saw that... to "Sunny Side of the Street."

I confused it with '66 Dream...one of the best.... Casper Troopers came out east and BS prevailed. The Dream Contest brought out the best in everyone. Audubon always performed a notch higher at Roosevelt...... so did SKEK.

Joe

Dips "moving block" was in 64 at the World Open ... and it was indeed stunning ... their first appearance at the Dream was 1971 ... the "lighting stike" during Rochester's show, along with the "stirring dust swirls" during their exit are hard visuals to forget for anyone in the stands that day ...

:-)

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The '65 Dream was interesting. In '66 Cru did a show in, I think it was Binghampton. About half way thru our performance, lightning hit one of the lights and knocked them all out. We finished in the dark.

Crusaders had a history of the lights going out while they were performing. It happened twice in 62, one was in Hornell I believe. It was sort of a joke with us in the Grey Knights, the line was...how much did Vince pay the electrician to pull the switch?

Numbers management.

Frank hits the nail on the head!

What's this crap about "first read?" Come on it's a competition that should be judged that day and that contest and NOT what was seen the week before! If I am judging a kid for an audition and I have never heard him before but I have heard the other kid, I am going to judge each kid as the first time.

Tell that to the judges. Looks at the non-east coast corps, look at the first DCA show they have... they usually jump a bit if its a 2 show weekend and I doubt that it is because they improved that much in one morning rehearsal.

The judges need more than one look at a corps to get it right. I bet all the money in th world that KS will get a score much closer to what they really deserve on finals night bucause they will then have a few looks from the judges.

If the crowd can get it right on it's "First Read", why can't the judges?

Field visual alone they were in their own league. The problem with DCA is that the DCI/ex-DCI members make the vets look bad. Not so with KS. Those guys marched their butts off (and ran a bit as well!). And musically, wow! what a great sound.

Whats good about all this is the drama next week in Rochester.

Good luck Hurcs and good luck KS.

Because the crowd can't get it right all the time. Very few, if anyone is able to accurately listen to battery, front ensemble and brass, while watching all of the visual aspects of the show. Most people are good enough to judge ONE effect caption at a time. This is where the difference falls. That's why we have a multi-person panel.

The '65 Dream was interesting. In '66 Cru did a show in, I think it was Binghampton. About half way thru our performance, lightning hit one of the lights and knocked them all out. We finished in the dark.

And that was the cleanest Cru marched that year. Too bad nobody could see it. :thumbup:

I keed!

Diplomates competed in the 1966 Dream.

Wow ... forgot that one ...

Thanks!

Andy

[...]

The judges need more than one look at a corps to get it right. I bet all the money in th world that KS will get a score much closer to what they really deserve on finals night bucause they will then have a few looks from the judges.

Unless the panel is the same, the judge's are STILL getting their first look at Prelims...

So therefore KS will "get hosed" at Prelims, and then get "what they deserve" at Finals?