Kidsgrove Scouts got hosed!

honestly, the end zone is the last place to get a feel for music effect.

You're right, Jeff. But based on the other caption scores, I would have expected ME to be higher. I definitely heard and saw the audience reaction to the performance - even from the end zone.

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

NO....not at all.......the point you made was the EXACT point I was trying to make....you just said it better than I did!!! :thumbup:

---------------------

As with Frank and some of the others ---

If KIDSGROVE Scouts, came to Bridgeport and kicked everyone's ###................ then they should have one.

I have seen all of the other shows at least once this year and there is NO WAY, NO HOW that Kidsgrove Scout doesn't slam dunk the entire lot of them at Bridgeport.

What does that tell you - - that the DCA judging which mirrors USSBA............... is NOT fair, NOT accurate and does NOT reflect the actions of the corps on the field.

The concept that you start with a certain score and work your way through the season to a better point - - - is and has been crap. That a judge has to "see" a corps 2-3 times to get a "feel for the show" to be able to capture its merit - - if I could use stronger words without being deleted, I think you all know what they would be - - that whole idea is even MORE CRAP then the first.

So judges - - you messed up.

Crowd - you got it ABSOLUTELY right - - boo away. I have never seen a case where it was more deserved.

DCA - - I hope that our corps brethren Kidsgrove - - leaves knowing that the REST of us believe they were the best and decides that they WILL come back and entertain us.

What a disappointing end to a great night in Bridgeport.

Most of the judges have already seen all the other corps......the judges should comepare the nights performance, and score accordingly......first read BS doesn't cut it for me this late in the season. The question should have been, did the judges have the guts to give them the number they deserved?

I had Kidsgrove POINTS ahead of Bush, and could have easily taken Cabs or Hurcs.....

I agree with Frank...these judges are experienced pros....the argument 'the first time the judges saw them" has never worked for me..it seems like a worn-out rationalization.

In DCI you can get a "first read" at Quarter finals, it has happened almost every year.

it looks as though the brass guys were closer than the percussion guys and a weak pit means all of the upstairs music captions would also be affected.

That being said, I cannot wait to see these guys! It sounds like another Inspires to me.

DA

You're right, Jeff. But based on the other caption scores, I would have expected ME to be higher. I definitely heard and saw the audience reaction to the performance - even from the end zone.

and there is a lot more to that sheet than the crowd's reaction.

I'm not bashing them, I can't wait to see them. But the end zone is the last place to judge anything from.

Not THAT surprised.....didn't see the show but if you take the fact that this is their FIRST DCA, then you factor in just how many miles away they are from the supposed DCA nucleus, and all the "hey, you gotta pay your dues" BS that floats around I'm just not that surprised that people are feeling that they got a little screwed this past weekend.

But now they have one DCA show under their belt, and Semis will NOT be their "first read". We'll see what happens.

Ok - I too was there and very disappointed with the placement of KS, but I will give you my take on it:

1 - They play VERY big. The horn line is very beautiful to listen to for sure, and i liked the book. BUT, I do think, compared to the Hurcs at least, I am not sure the difficulty was there. AS I sat and watched, I thought this might happen a little (lower score), but all because of a demand difference from the top corps.

2 - The drum line is not up to the top corps standards. Difficulty and clen-ness (my new word :thumbup: ) were a little lacking

3 - Moved very well and the feet seemed to be in August/September form for sure!

I do NOT think they are going to push the Cabs or Hurcs or anyone else from the top 5, but they certainly should have been above Bush IMHO. I don't connect with the Bush show, and I have not seen it get significantly cleaner since the first read back in June. (and I have seen that show 4 times this year)

And since I am giving my opinion I will say this about the judging - I do NOT buy that "First Read" crap. You either think they are better than the next corps in all of the defined captions, or they are not. It should make no difference if you have seen the show once or ten times!

I loved the KS score (musical score), and I certainly hope they don't have a bad taste left from the way the judges rank them. They were very good overall, and #### entertaining!!! I cant wait to see them again in Rochester!!!

Mike

Spartans '87

The Foundation Year

Proud Father of a Hurricane Trumpet Player - 2010

edited for clarity

Edited by Spartans87

Not THAT surprised.....didn't see the show but if you take the fact that this is their FIRST DCA, then you factor in just how many miles away they are from the supposed DCA nucleus, and all the "hey, you gotta pay your dues" BS that floats around I'm just not that surprised that people are feeling that they got a little screwed this past weekend.

But now they have one DCA show under their belt, and Semis will NOT be their "first read". We'll see what happens.

all that, plus the fact that they got a DCA read and tapes,............ and they get to rehearse every day this week, (which I'm guessing is a DCA corps directors dream),...............................my guess is that their score improves by at least 6 points at prelims..............which could launch them to top 5 or 6 going into finals,.............

I'm sorry, I know this will get me labeled a hater or a whiner, or BOTH, but I believe this is so, and so do many others:

Corps competing DCA for their first time are NOT adjudicated fairly. There's "dues" to pay, remember???

Here's hoping that appearing in at least ONE show prior to Semis helps mitigate that somewhat.

and they get to rehearse every day this week, (which I'm guessing is a DCA corps directors dream),...............................

Yup. Mostly so I wouldn't have to sit (rather unproductively) in the office on Monday and Tuesday this week! :thumbup: