……………………………….`=-,……………….,%`>–==“

…………………………………._\……….._,-%…….`\

……………………………..,< `.._|_,-&“…………….

Boo, what in God's name is that?

• Replies 423
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DCI has certainly lost it's way. It used to provide a musical experience that touched many, many American or Canadian communities either through sponsoring a corps or show. DCI used to be affordable so that working-class kids or poor kids could have that experience. DCI corps taught vast amounts of kids-now it is mainly for music majors. DCI is no longer relevent through actions of its own and some of the larger society.

DCA still retains a better connection to drum corp's traditions. Let us hope it can continue along that distinctive path.

nah, DCA is getting more expensive too.

DCI used to be "anti-HS Marching Band. Now, it has become pro-HS marching band because its instructors are no longer part time VFW or AL members. DCI's instructors are for more connected to the HS Marching Band scene.

Now, you might contend this was bad. I see it as neither bad or good. It's just a natural evolution. Drum corps need members. They need members MORE than they need fans. A drum corps can still exist even if no one comes to see them. It cannot exist without members.

Here's my challenge...get a group together and get those kids...you know...those corner standers, those bored youths standing around all summer and give them some horns and drums and uniforms and teach them 1 1-2 1 O 1 1 2 0 on the bugles and see what happens.

I don't see it becoming successful. I know two guys in Madison...one who posts here all the time...they tried this a little more than a year ago. A quite honest effort...worked their butts off....IN MADISON...a mecca of drum corps. I hope the guy posts on here...but kids weren't flocking.

Sir, I appreciate your passion, but if it was as easy as setting up shop in the local community center and getting kids to come...it would have been done. People have tried. Times change. The soul is not lost. The soul moved forward. So, must all of us. Move forward.

Drum corps is dead and it has lost its soul. Therefore drum corps is a zombie.

My thread got closed because cabal members can lack a sense of humor sometimes.

Drum corps is neither. It's just not the same as the day YOU left the field. And it won't be.

What I really love is the compromise artists on here. We need to take drum corps back to the shows from the 90s. I was very active in the 1990s. You know what they were saying then? Yeah, we weren't all that thrilled by some of the shows back then and wanted some of the classic 1980s shows to re-emerge.

I dig the passion, but it's misdirected in many ways.

I equate it with some of the current discussions regarding the country right now..."we want to take our country back." I want to take our country forward. ($1 to Bill Maher).

It is absolutely not just music majors, I don't know where you get this impression

What corps do/did you march with WOOHOO?

When I was drum corps age THEY TAUGHT you how to read music, how to play an instrument of your choice (then changed it if you didnt catch on) and how to march.

While doing this you became a member of a corps and showed off your skills in local shows.

NOW try to make it thru tryouts if you cant read music or play an instrument!

There's no time to teach.

Drum corps, as a few posters have reminded us, no longer teaches beginners music.

Maybe not every corps member is a 'music major' but every corps member is music literate.....and probably music educated in some form!

Drum corps might not have lost its soul, but the soul sure has changed or been relocated.......

Edited by rkfdPRphan

What corps do/did you march with WOOHOO?

When I was drum corps age THEY TAUGHT you how to read music, how to play an instrument of your choice (then changed it if you didnt catch on) and how to march.

While doing this you became a member of a corps and showed off your skills in local shows.

NOW try to make it thru tryouts if you cant read music or play an instrument!

There's no time to teach.

Drum corps, as a few posters have reminded us, no longer teaches beginners music.

Maybe not every corps member is a 'music major' but every corps member is music literate.....and probably music educated in some form!

Drum corps might not have lost its soul, but the soul sure has changed or been relocated.......

1. It's in my signature where and when I marched

2. You don't have to be a music major to know how to read music going into it; just have to finish middle school band

3. You seem to imply that the only way to teach is to teach the absolute rudiments of music, and the fact that you think that is more noble is unfortunate. You would think you would want drum corps to be at a higher level than that.