Who do you think has had the best hornline in the last 5 seasons?

When I say best hornline, I mean Tone, Volume, Difficulty/execution of brass book, and overall who just sounds the best. By the last 5 seasons I mean 2006-2010, those hornlines of recent memory. The hornline is my absolute favorite part of and DCI show, so a corps that has a superb "above and beyond" hornline becomes one of my favorite corps.

I personally cant decide between crown and phantom regiment. Phantoms 2006 and 2008 programs had fantasic hornlines, as well as 2010's. But I also love the rich, dark, and amazing volume that Crown has as well.

What are your guy's favorites?

(oh and PS- all time favorite hornlines are acceptable too, I just put the past 5 seasons on there to kinda compare to my thoughts to yours)

When I say best hornline, I mean Tone, Volume, Difficulty/execution of brass book, and overall who just sounds the best. By the last 5 seasons I mean 2006-2010, those hornlines of recent memory. The hornline is my absolute favorite part of and DCI show, so a corps that has a superb "above and beyond" hornline becomes one of my favorite corps.

I personally cant decide between crown and phantom regiment. Phantoms 2006 and 2008 programs had fantasic hornlines, as well as 2010's. But I also love the rich, dark, and amazing volume that Crown has as well.

What are your guy's favorites?

(oh and PS- all time favorite hornlines are acceptable too, I just put the past 5 seasons on there to kinda compare to my thoughts to yours)

Crown 2009

Are you asking for a specific year or overall?

Just which hornline you enjoyed the most in the last few years, or that you thought was just fantastic.

BD easily had the best hornlines in the last 5 seasons. I must say the horn switch this year had definitely made improvements. I just think their books are harder, their balance is always perfect, intonation has been great with the exception of the end of their show in 08. But overall I believe their brass hands down is the best.

Phantom had a great hornline in 08, but other than that I don't think I could rank them the best in the last 5 seasons.

Cav's, I personally don't like their bright sound all that much. They have many beautiful moments that fit that sound, but not my cup of tea personally.

Crown has made huge strides in the last 5 seasons. Last year's brass was much better than this year.

Cadets, always have a great horn sound, I just don't like their arrangements that much to enjoy it.

I'd have to say Phantom for achieving so highly in performance and writing.

Close second would be BD, as they've had a couple blotchy seasons.

Crown deserves an honorable mention, but a couple seasons I have noticed the middle brass disappearing from show to show/season to season.

BD easily had the best hornlines in the last 5 seasons. I must say the horn switch this year had definitely made improvements. I just think their books are harder, their balance is always perfect, intonation has been great with the exception of the end of their show in 08. But overall I believe their brass hands down is the best.

Phantom had a great hornline in 08, but other than that I don't think I could rank them the best in the last 5 seasons.

Cav's, I personally don't like their bright sound all that much. They have many beautiful moments that fit that sound, but not my cup of tea personally.

Crown has made huge strides in the last 5 seasons. Last year's brass was much better than this year.

Cadets, always have a great horn sound, I just don't like their arrangements that much to enjoy it.

Until the switch to the new horns this year BD's hornlines in my opinion had the brightest sound. Very bright and high end oriented. I've even see people post that on here in other threads. To me they had the "brightest horn sound" much brighter than Cavaliers. Cavaliers just haven't brought the power in some of the last few seasons (Mezzo Forte at the loudest in some shows). Crown and Phantom tie for my Favorite hornlines in the last 5 seasons. Very Entertaining and I walk away humming their stuff the most.

Edited by Perry S

1. BD 2010 stands apart from the rest

2. Crown 2009

3. Bluecoats 2010

4. Crown 2008

5. Cadets 2007

6. Bluecoats 2007

7. Cavies 2006

8. BD 2006

those are my favs (regarding performance AND book)

Edited by Catan