Crossmen Welcome Chuck Naffier and Jason Buckingham to lead the Brass

Nice !

With Chuck aboard, it's a 1st class ticket back into finals.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yay, Chuck is back! :doh:

Every time I hear about Jason Buckingham I think about Lindsey Buckingham. And then I think "Ooooooo-weeeeeeee. What up with that? What up with that?"

Anyone else have that problem?

There's a lot of excitement displayed here about Chuck Naffier and I know that's a great thing, but I wanted to express what a great asset Jason Buckingham will be as Brass Caption Head:

I marched Bones when Jason was a tech in '94, and had the great opportunity to tech for Blue Knights while Jason was caption head. His understanding of how to produce great brass sounds is unquestioned, and his ability to teach that method is well-proven. More importantly, Jason has the ability to inspire members to follow him into battle. I didn't fully understand it at the time, but he has an outstanding knack for getting members to give everything they have and love doing it. I know that Jason will measure the success of the 2011 brass program with two criteria: how great the line sounds, and how many eligible members come back in 2012. Those will be the goals - they were with BK as a young hornline matured into a performing powerhouse by 1999-2000.

If anyone has doubts about Jason since he didn't march Bones, trust me - this is a guy that gets it. He has a deep reverence for tradition and knows what it means to be a part of something greater than oneself. I remember a classic rant in '94 about how we need to appreciate what we have - not just a drum corps but THIS corps, the Crossmen whose history continues to grow and needs to thrive. This was at a time when many vets worried the staff was trying to dismantle Crossmen tradition and cast it aside in order to excel. Jason stepped in with the exact opposite idea - embrace the tradition AND excel.

As an added bonus, Jason is likely to bring his longtime assistant Amil Muzz to help out the hornline.

This is great news. I'm very excited for Crossmen! Go Bones!!!

Harvey

There's a lot of excitement displayed here about Chuck Naffier and I know that's a great thing, but I wanted to express what a great asset Jason Buckingham will be as Brass Caption Head:

I marched Bones when Jason was a tech in '94, and had the great opportunity to tech for Blue Knights while Jason was caption head. His understanding of how to produce great brass sounds is unquestioned, and his ability to teach that method is well-proven. More importantly, Jason has the ability to inspire members to follow him into battle. I didn't fully understand it at the time, but he has an outstanding knack for getting members to give everything they have and love doing it. I know that Jason will measure the success of the 2011 brass program with two criteria: how great the line sounds, and how many eligible members come back in 2012. Those will be the goals - they were with BK as a young hornline matured into a performing powerhouse by 1999-2000.

If anyone has doubts about Jason since he didn't march Bones, trust me - this is a guy that gets it. He has a deep reverence for tradition and knows what it means to be a part of something greater than oneself. I remember a classic rant in '94 about how we need to appreciate what we have - not just a drum corps but THIS corps, the Crossmen whose history continues to grow and needs to thrive. This was at a time when many vets worried the staff was trying to dismantle Crossmen tradition and cast it aside in order to excel. Jason stepped in with the exact opposite idea - embrace the tradition AND excel.

As an added bonus, Jason is likely to bring his longtime assistant Amil Muzz to help out the hornline.

In my limited opinion (I'm no pro musician), Jason's greatest asset was his ability to motivate. He is a leader of passion and character (to say the least) and when he's in front of you, it's difficult not to be on board with the mission at hand. To stand in his arc was to be at war. Though I remember him talking about how lucky we all were because while we were running around football fields, armed men and women were serving on our behalf - if that doesn't put the relative difficulty of drum corps in perspective, I'm not sure what will.

I learned as much, if not more, with my horn down, as much in the grueling sun as I did in an air conditioned auditorium when he shared with us a tape of Albert Lo (I believe) in tears during our closer. That and he took our line and made us good at drum corps!!

Jason put a 13th place drum corps in Finals. He will do wonderful things at Crossmen!

Edited by DrillmanSop06

I owe alot of my success as a band director and musician to Jason Buckingham. He is a straight shooter who absolutely is a master teacher. His ability to take young unproven talent in a hornline and turn it into a gem is unparalleled. He has great dedication to getting everything out of a musician and along the way he helps them become better men and women. I was in BK in '97 and '98 and watched him take the same 14-18 year olds from my years and turn them into brass beasts by '99 and '00. He loves the activity probably more than anyone I know and HE WILL BE GREAT FOR CROSSMEN!!! I know I will have many students that will be sent to him for many years from my SA area school!!! Great Job Crossmen, this is absolutely the best thing you could do!!! Good Luck Jason and Crossmen look forward to seeing you grow together!!! :doh:

Wes Perkins

BK '97 '98

Jason will be a HUGE asset to the Crossmen, as will Chuck. Now maybe they can get some one with similar creds to fill out the visual, colorguard, percussion and program/staff coordinator positions.