If DCI were to allow woodwinds, would you continue to support the acti

Woodwinds Poll  

399 members have voted

1. 1. If DCI were to allow woodwinds, would you continue to support the activity (got to shows, donate on a financial level)

• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure, depends on how the rule is written.

As long as they can't be amplified, sure.

Nothing cooler than a hot lick from "Aqualung" on mic'd flute!!!

• Replies 637
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

not a chance!

I'm just ONE guy so it can't be a huge loss. Though this kind of topic can get very argumentative VERY quickly, let me just say that I will always support the marching activity no matter what. But dci will be done for me if woodwinds are even given the chance to march in shows. There are enough smart people out there... just have some directors put their heads together and create a new activity, outside of dci, that will essentially be drum corps with woodwinds - and maybe they can compete at some of the same shows as the dci corps but in their own division, similar to the world/open class we have now. Maybe that's not financially logical at this point in time, but it's the only way I think I would be able to support the idea. If I ever saw Vanguard or BD marching a saxophone line, I think I would walk away from drum corps forever. :worthy:

I barely support the activity now, add woodwinds and I'm gonna take those 2-3 weekends of NorCal drum corps time and find something else to do.

i wouldn't be opposed to an amped solo in the pit, but that's all... NO need for woodwinds on the field. #### no

I wonder how similar the poll results would be if this were asked 10 years before amps, 10 years before the switch to Bb, etc ;)

There are too many positive things about the activity to remove my support bc of WWs. To me, it's actually a little selfish to think you'd stop supporting something that was of value to you when you were young...simply because you don't like the different sound. The activity is more important than a brass only sound vs. combined sound.

but...people won't pay to see that which they don't like.

I have not paid to see a band show in my life. I doubt I will when and if I have kids marching in a band. In fact, I'll find a way into the pit crew so I don't have to pay.

NO! It's Drum & Bugle (oh, wait, & Synth & Amps & Narrative & Props) Corps! :worthy:

Hmmm...Drum & Bugle Corps is now Drum & Bugle & Synth Corps.....but if they (DCI) add WW, not only would I stop going but I would also assume at some point some corps would break away a la CART and INDY.