Fan Phases?

Are there such things as "fan phases?" The question kinda came to me yesterday (Fri) when my friends and I had a usual Marching band/incorporated Drum Corps talk, and somehow we got on the subject of how Pioneer "sucks" and for once I didn't bash them, I somewhat denounced the "sucking" statement. Furthermore, when Madison & Cavies were called a "Sausage Fest" and I got really p'od.

So I looked at people I know who have been DCI fans for around 6 months to a year and they are hard corps (that was a pun) in saying that "Bluecoats" or "Crown" had the best show and should have won, or it's their fav corps is amazing and all other corps utterly suck no matter what. I thought a little bit after that observation, and realized, "hey I went through the same "phase"" Just my own personal opinion. I used to be really hard core Crown is the best in everything, no one desearves to beat them. Now I'm pretty much a hard core Cavaliers fan, yet I can appreciate and understand other corps from a different view. After all looks who's marching professionally and who isn't.

Anyways, take what you wish from this, off to the Docs. See ya later DCP.

Are there such things as "fan phases?" The question kinda came to me yesterday (Fri) when my friends and I had a usual Marching band/incorporated Drum Corps talk, and somehow we got on the subject of how Pioneer "sucks" and for once I didn't bash them, I somewhat denounced the "sucking" statement. Furthermore, when Madison & Cavies were called a "Sausage Fest" and I got really p'od.

So I looked at people I know who have been DCI fans for around 6 months to a year and they are hard corps (that was a pun) in saying that "Bluecoats" or "Crown" had the best show and should have won, or it's their fav corps is amazing and all other corps utterly suck no matter what. I thought a little bit after that observation, and realized, "hey I went through the same "phase"" Just my own personal opinion. I used to be really hard core Crown is the best in everything, no one desearves to beat them. Now I'm pretty much a hard core Cavaliers fan, yet I can appreciate and understand other corps from a different view. After all looks who's marching professionally and who isn't.

Anyways, take what you wish from this, off to the Docs. See ya later DCP.

The transition from bando to drum corps fan is certainly a phase. :tongue:

When I was in high school, everyone loved Cavaliers. Now the trend has shifted to Crown. It's just a matter of exposure, fan-friendliness, and competitive outcomes. Before you know very much about the activity, you'll likely assume that only the top-tier corps are amazing. I know that it took marching in a 13th place drum corps for me to finally appreciate how amazing each organization is top to bottom and that, in fact, it's possible for lower placing corps to receive larger ovations and responses than their more competitive counterparts.

You need to march! :doh:

I think everyone goes through that when they first start because the first corps they see is probably a top 6 show. I know the first two shows I ever saw were 1996 and 2003 Blue Devils. After that, I only really saw/heard shows from the top 8 or so. When I was working a band camp this summer, I would regularly get into drum corps discussions with a couple of mellophone players and the overwhelming opinion is that good pretty much stopped at 12th place. They were saying the Academy sucked. I heard that and kinda made a :doh: face. About the only top 12 show that neither of them liked was Phantom Regiment (kids these days! lol). For me, it took a few non-finalist shows that caught my attention (2006 Colts and Capital Regiment come to mind). Your friends will come around. Hopefully.

Without any empirical evidence, my gut feeling is that this is common. Many people go through a "star struck" phase with the top tier corps. I know I certainly did and many of my friends in my low tier corps in the mid 1980's seemed to have similar feelings. After marching with the Troopers in 1985 and beyond I found myself having much more appreciation for the whole field. As the year pass by, that sense of appreciation has stuck and continued to grow.

I always find the lower corps' shows more intertaining than the top 5. Maybe it's phase, but 20 years is a long phase.

Very strange, indeed.

In general, I've been seeing phases in both fans and judges. For fans, corps that make great leaps in placements (Troopers, Bluecoats, Crown) start being seen as "underdogs" and become favorites. Once everyone gives them a couple years of shows, the fans usually settle down on a favorite.

For judges, what's hip for a couple years (music based on drill) goes out of fashion and something else replaces it.

Maybe I'm weird but the only corps I hated when marching was the corps that kept beating us at Nationals :P Darn Canadian girls and their fleshtone stockings and shoes! :smile:

I was star struck by EVERY corps I saw when I marched and had a great deal of appreciation for every one of them. I had a problem with 86 BD winning, but at the time I knew NOTHING about jazz ......... that changed over time and is now one of my absolute favorites to listen to. Sky Ryders were Awesome ... same said for Troopers, VK ... you name it .. all the way down to the Railmen, Linsolite, Ventures and even my corps. The quality was extremely impressive even at the bottom bottom end of DCI. One lower tier corps really knocked my socks off ....... Marauders from Longview Washington. Friggin spectacular corps that got raped in Quarterfinals. That show was definitely ahead of it's time and extremely underscored.

Maybe I'm just the weird one :devil: