Historical Corps that quietly survive

On another thread, I got to wondering about how many former DCI (or DCA) corps that no longer compete still exist in one form or another. Do you know of any corps that are still in existence, whether as a street corps, Alumni unit, preparing for a return to DCA or DCI? This could also include corps that may be newer, but unaligned with DCI or DCA. These are a couple I've seen or heard about to get the list started.

General Butler Vagabonds: Parade corps and community functions

PAL Cadets (See this little group of youngsters each year in Bridgeport, Conn)

20th Century Unlimited (parade corps & exhibition unit Middleton, NY)

Manchestor Muchachos, Manchester, RI. (Parade and exhibition unit)

Cambria Cadets (former junior corps turned Alumni from Cambria, PA)

New York Lancers (?) I would see these guys every 4th of July in Asbury Park-staff former CMCC Warriors.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wynn Center Toppers (NY) were a popular junior corps back in the 1960s and early 1970s. They have had a parade corps now for the past decade or so. The Northernaires (MI) and Americanos are part of the indoor circuit, and both had long histories as jr. corps.

Up until a few years ago the Long Island Blue Jays and Queens Village Queens were both junior parade corps that had been field competition corps decades back. I think both have gone inactive. New Day (Racine, WI) was also active as a junior parade corps until a few years ago. They were on the field quite a few years back a couple decades.

Edited by Northern Thunder

On another thread, I got to wondering about how many former DCI (or DCA) corps that no longer compete still exist in one form or another. Do you know of any corps that are still in existence, whether as a street corps, Alumni unit, preparing for a return to DCA or DCI? This could also include corps that may be newer, but unaligned with DCI or DCA. These are a couple I've seen or heard about to get the list started.

General Butler Vagabonds: Parade corps and community functions

PAL Cadets (See this little group of youngsters each year in Bridgeport, Conn)

20th Century Unlimited (parade corps & exhibition unit Middleton, NY)

Manchestor Muchachos, Manchester, RI. (Parade and exhibition unit)

Cambria Cadets (former junior corps turned Alumni from Cambria, PA)

New York Lancers (?) I would see these guys every 4th of July in Asbury Park-staff former CMCC Warriors.

The Sacramento Freelancers Alumni & Friends. We have north and south parts to this group. We get together for camps and performances. Part of the group went out to DCA this weekend. It's nice to have groups like these around. I never got a chance to march the group while they were an active junior corps. But now I have a chance to perform with some great folks, mainly alums of the group, and play some killer charts! :tongue:

Auburn Purple Lancers, 1974 NYS A.L. champs and DCI finalist have reformed as an all age corps currently performing at the parade corps level.

Muchachos are from Manchester, NH

NY Lancers had nothing to do with CMCC Warriors. They came in 2nd at the World Open Class B 2 years in a row, 78 and 79. Very strong corps.

Hmmmm. I wasn't sure of the name. Hence the (?)... Wonder who this parade corps is then? They wear green cadet-ish uniforms and are taught by former CMCC Warriors-generally march Asbury Park's 4th of July parade. About 20 brass, 12 or so percussion, can't recall if there was a guard. Any ideas?

Saginaires / Northern Aurora are still functioning in the WGI percussion deal. North Coast Academy is funded and operated by the Saginaires Youth Organization (SYO). it's a shame that we can't get a corps together again, but under the current conditions of DCI, the founder is not willing to jump back into that mess.

While looking for New Day who I had heard still exists-trying to confirm, found this group.

The 7th Cavalry Drum and Bugle Corps

http://drumandbuglecorps.org/

Also, a pretty cool drum, bugle and fife corps

http://crimsonkings.com/

Ainad Temple Drum and Bugle Corps

http://ainadshriners.org/drumcorps/

Lambertville Volunteers

http://lambertvillevolunteers.org/

Edited by pearlsnaredrummer77

The Optimists Alumni Drum & Bugle Corps is around and performing exhibitions. The De La Salle Oaklands have an alumni group that meets for annual reunions and monthly get-togethers, but as far as I know they've never performed any kind of public exhibition.

Edited by byline