Historical Corps that quietly survive

Hmmmm. I wasn't sure of the name. Hence the (?)... Wonder who this parade corps is then? They wear green cadet-ish uniforms and are taught by former CMCC Warriors-generally march Asbury Park's 4th of July parade. About 20 brass, 12 or so percussion, can't recall if there was a guard. Any ideas?

The Wynn Center Toppers are an African-American parade corps (that I mentioned above). They wear green cadet uniforms, with shakos. That may very well be the corps talked about.

Edited by Northern Thunder

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

St John's, Brantford, Ontario....still holding events and constantly morphing into something else

Velvet Knights

Kingsmen

The Optimists Alumni Drum & Bugle Corps is around and performing exhibitions. The De La Salle Oaklands have an alumni group that meets for annual reunions and monthly get-togethers, but as far as I know they've never performed any kind of public exhibition.

DOCA Alumni Stage Band performed in Simcoe at a public exhibition 2010. There's no link to their website or facebook anymore :beer: Could you please follow up? Thanks.

The Optimists Alumni Drum & Bugle Corps is around and performing exhibitions. The De La Salle Oaklands have an alumni group that meets for annual reunions and monthly get-togethers, but as far as I know they've never performed any kind of public exhibition.

Sue.......

The De La Salle Oakland Crusader Alumni have performed two years in a row in Simcoe. ON, at the annual indoor concert sponsored by Simcoe United Alumni. We have also played at three different concerts with the school orchetras and at the last two Annual Zack Nites. On October 2 we will be playing in the Vaughan City Playhouse at the "Love of Music" concert sponsored and promoted by DCAT (Drum Corps Alumni Toronto). The concerts's gonna' be great! Check out the details at www.dcatchorus.ca.

Oops, sorry for the Del misinformation, folks! Before posting, I tried fact-checking via the DOCA website, but it appears to be offline at the moment.

Muchachos are from Manchester, NH

NY Lancers had nothing to do with CMCC Warriors. They came in 2nd at the World Open Class B 2 years in a row, 78 and 79. Very strong corps.

They competed in the GSC back then. I judged them many times, and the two corps I taught competed against them.

The Wynn Center Toppers are an African-American parade corps (that I mentioned above). They wear green cadet uniforms, with shakos. That may very well be the corps talked about.

Thanks Brian, You are right. The corps I saw at Asbury Park is indeed the Wynn Center Toppers!!!!

:beer:

To sum-up so far:

Kingsmen

Velvet Knights

St. Johns (ont)

7th Calvary drum & bugle corps

Crimson Kings

Ainad Temple drum and bugle corps

Lambertville Volunteers

De LaSalle Oaklands

Muchachos (NH)

Long Island Blue Jays (website still up, although dated)

Saginaires/Northern Aurora

Queen Village Queens (has an alumni group that did a parade in 2010)

Northernaires (MI)

Americanos

Sacramento Freelancer Aluni & Friends

Auborn Purple Lancers

Optimists

Simcoe

Midlanders

Signals

Scout House

Imperial Knights

General Butler Vagabonds: Parade corps and community functions

PAL Cadets (See this little group of youngsters each year in Bridgeport, Conn)

20th Century Unlimited (parade corps & exhibition unit Middleton, NY)

Manchestor Muchachos, Manchester, NH. (Parade and exhibition unit)

Cambria Cadets (former junior corps turned Alumni from Cambria, PA)

Wynn Center Toppers, Brooklyn

Brooklyn United Drum and Bugle Corps

Florida Brass Alumni drum and bugle corps

Any more????

De LaSalle Oaklands

Technically the De La Salle alumni group also includes the Oakland Crusaders, since Oakland was created through a merger of Del and the Etobicoke Crusaders.

Likewise, the Optimists alumni group also includes two corps: the Toronto Optimists and the corps created by another merger (with the Seneca Princemen), the Seneca Optimists.

So really, thanks to the two alumni groups, you could say that four corps continue on:

De La Salle Oaklands

Oakland Crusaders

Toronto Optimists

Seneca Optimists

St John's, Brantford, Ontario....still holding events and constantly morphing into something else

Velvet Knights

Kingsmen

VK made finals this year in OC in Indy.