2001 Cadets Hornline

I just watched 01 Cadets on the Fan Network and was blown away by their hornline. While i understand why BD took brass that year (BD had a killer hornline that was amazing that year), i thought the Cadets should have been right on their heels at the least. Can someone please explain why the Cadets took 3rd that year in Brass? SCV was awesome but shouldn't have been ahead of the Cadets. IMHO, Cadets had one the best hornline's to not win the Ott trophy.

I've never seen anyone come up with a decent theory on this. I've heard people hint that something faltered in the finals performance after Moondance, though I've never figured out what (I thought the whole performance was golden).

I've always thought they had the hardest book and executed it 2nd best... either way, it shoulda been tight between BD and Cadets for brass

I've never seen anyone come up with a decent theory on this. I've heard people hint that something faltered in the finals performance after Moondance, though I've never figured out what (I thought the whole performance was golden).

I heard something like that as well. I guess the hornline lost some steam and bailed out at the end of the show, or at least thats the rumor. I have listened to the closer over and over and i can't for the life of me hear whats wrong. But i am not a brass guy so my ears aren't trained to pick up stuff like that.

I heard something like that as well. I guess the hornline lost some steam and bailed out at the end of the show, or at least thats the rumor. I have listened to the closer over and over and i can't for the life of me hear whats wrong. But i am not a brass guy so my ears aren't trained to pick up stuff like that.

I can see this in that performance, but it also seemed that Vanguard bit off a little bit more than they could chew with their arrangement of Short Ride that year. It's a really isolated, tough part, but there are a lot of trumpet chips in those attacks. I love both shows. I think I would have given Cadets the technical edge, with SCV getting the advantage in intensity. I don't know...

From what I remember during finals night, there were some minor mistakes throughout the show, a flub in the ballad solo (even though it was not on the DVD), and the end was less than stellar. SCV had a great night especially their low brass. It was close between those two though.