Drum Majors

Decide!  

116 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think a corps drum major should be a vet, selected by the staff? Or an open audition and allow non members to have that roll?

• Veteran Member
    • Audition. Best one gets the job regardless

There seem to be 2 different ways of selecting a drum major. Some corps appoint veteran members to the positions, while others hold open auditions thus allowing the possibility of a rookie member of the corps to be a drum major.

I've always found it much easier to respect someone in a leadership position whom I've worked well with in the past.

But, considering it's off season and we've got not much to talk about, I think this will be a powder-keg issue to rival G7, woodwinds and electronics COMBINED!

So have at it. May the strongest and mostly loudly voiced opinion win! (in your eyes).

• Like 1

I picked Veteran Member.

A Drum Major is a leader in an organization, and when leadership has already been exhibited by a veteran member who is looked up to and commands respect, that person is in a much better position to command the respect of an entire corps as opposed to a rookie that is going thru for the first time what life in that organization is like. I'd expect that to be an awkward position from which to provide leadership to members who have had more years as a part of the organization.

How about a combination of the 2? Need to be a veteran, but let all who are interested audition.

Drum Major is much more than a conductor, its a leadership position. You are part instructor, part disciplinarian and always lead by example. REALLY needs to be someone the rest of the corps will respect.

I've seen a lot of DM's picked by staff because they're relatives of someone on staff. Bad idea. Sometimes it works out, but more often than not a better choice has been overlooked.

I think it depends on how each organization defines the role. If they are to be a leader of the corps, then I would say veteran. If they are just a conductor with no other leadership responsibilities, then prior experience is less important.

I think it depends on how each organization defines the role. If they are to be a leader of the corps, then I would say veteran. If they are just a conductor with no other leadership responsibilities, then prior experience is less important.

I agree with this... I would say in general it is better for a veteran. Someone who knows what drum corps and touring is all about.

Bingo. At least at Crown, the drum major(s) are as much leaders as they are conductors, if not more so. I find it hard to imagine someone being effective at that kind of leadership role without any experience with the corps before.

I too agree with this. Although I was chosen as a "proven elder" with a sort of face for the drum corps community (the year before, my mug was all over the promo shots DCI sent out for us, plus I had written an article for DCW), the DM prior to me was a rookie with strong band presence in the community, and he was appreciated by the members right away. Then again, the Knights were a small corps by that time, and perhaps the difference in mission of a small corps vs. a big corps like Crown, say, might have something to do with it.

I too agree with this. Although I was chosen as a "proven elder" with a sort of face for the drum corps community (the year before, my mug was all over the promo shots DCI sent out for us, plus I had written an article for DCW), the DM prior to me was a rookie with strong band presence in the community, and he was appreciated by the members right away. Then again, the Knights were a small corps by that time, and perhaps the difference in mission of a small corps vs. a big corps like Crown, say, might have something to do with it.

That's a good point. I guess what's really important is not being a vet, per se, but having all the current members know you and trust you. What ends up happening with bigger/less local corps is that the only way for that to happen in the first place is to be a vet.

I picked Veteran Member.

A Drum Major is a leader in an organization, and when leadership has already been exhibited by a veteran member who is looked up to and commands respect, that person is in a much better position to command the respect of an entire corps as opposed to a rookie that is going thru for the first time what life in that organization is like. I'd expect that to be an awkward position from which to provide leadership to members who have had more years as a part of the organization.

:beer:

At first thought I wanted to say promote from within the corps but Madison's drum major came from the Blue Devils and apparently did a great job.