Why doesn't anybody like the 8" tenor drum?

LuvsPAisTe

Why do most tenor clusters go from a 6" (sometimes two 6" drums) right to the 10"? I've even seen some tenors sets with two 10" or two 12" but forego the 8" drum? What gives? I like the sound of 8" drums. Am I alone?

Why do most tenor clusters go from a 6" (sometimes two 6" drums) right to the 10"? I've even seen some tenors sets with two 10" or two 12" but forego the 8" drum? What gives? I like the sound of 8" drums. Am I alone?

At the Bushwackers, our tenors are 6, 8, 10, 12, 12, 13 with the 6 and 8 as spocks. might be 2 10s instead of 2 12's. what do i know, i'm a bass drummer!

Related discussion here. The consensus seems to be that the 8" drum is ineffective as a 'spock' per se due to lack of projection, but if used as a tonal extension to the 10-12-13-14 etc. it can be put to good use. I believe BAC and BD are using the 6"-8" spock setups this year. It was also pointed out that dual 6" spocks can be used for heavy, double stop accents for high volume.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm not sure why but I never really liked the sound of the 8" drum on a set of tenors.I dont like the way the 8" looks either. Kind of a "baby tenor" thing going on. But you never know there might be some wacky tuning scheme that fits the 8" drum. I also like using the dual 6" "shots" as two diffrent voices.(one high one low) :huh:

LuvsPAisTe

Posted on Jun 16 2003, 05:58 PM

Why do most tenor clusters go from a 6" (sometimes two 6" drums) right to the 10"?

Personally, I am not sure why no one marches a Timbales Line. Talk about projection!

And I'm with you Bro, I love paisties as well. They remind me of this "dancer" I knew, and whew, talk about projection!

Oh, wait, cymbals? Well they're OK too, I guess.

:huh:

Jeff Banyots

(I didn't want to demean this discussion, I just couldn't resist the chance at levity)

Apart from the tinny sound, the 8" drum is a difficult target (in the drum one position) for more advanced passages. It also throws the symmetry of the set off. I suspect that most marching bands use it to lessen the weight of the drums and to allow the drums to be closer to the performer's body, thereby lessening the torque on the lower back. 'Cause them high school kids is small, ya know?