Corps names that wouldn't work today

Seeing Hatters reminded me that my old corps used to be called the Longshoremen.

Then they won VFW in 1952 and that OTHER group called the Longshoremen (Union) noticed, and were NOT happy about it..... :rolleyes:

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Some more I found:

The Buzzards

The Mercy Mounts (ugly girls?)

The Alamo Marksmen

The Mouchiors

The Pacemakers

The Who

The Ambassadoes (not a typo)

E Pluribus Unum

The Huskateers

The Granite Chips

There's lots more!

Amazing the sheer NUMBER of corps that used to exist...

The Ambassa"Does" were the feeder corps for the Ambassa"Dears." Both were All-Girl corps and both were from Racine, WI. In the fall of 1972 they merged with the Citations Color Guard, also from Racine, and became the New Day All-Girl Drum and Bugle Corps and their feeder corps then became the New Dawn. The New Dawn no longer exists, however, the New Day still exists as a co-ed parade corps with a competing winter guard.

• 2 weeks later...
I like to look through Corpsreps and its interesting to see some of the names of older corps. i understand the times were different but I wonder who much of a chance corps with certain names would attract kids today.

Albacores (San Diego)- Reminds me of Charlie the Tuna....

It didn't attract kids then - the ones who joined did so in spite of the name (I was there)....and we never got a dime from the US Tuna fleet or canneries, the Portugese community or the Italian community. A loss all around...

Edited by GuyW

"Ramblers":

They got it down to "O.L.C.H" to save time and bumbling... :smile:

Elphaba

I think they stayed the OLC Ramblers...and then there was the OLPH Ridgemen (Our Lady of Perpetual Help). I believe both corps were from Brooklyn parishes.

My first corps was the St Joe's "Peanuts"...

A few more from NYS...

Shawnee Indians

Cataract Cavaliers

Suburban Knights

Hose#4

Mark Twain Cadets

Miraculous Medal Orbits

And one from Massachsetts that I will never forget...St Cosmo's Don Juans!

Donny

Shawnee Indians...forever a parade corps.

Suburban Knights weren't a bad little Senior corps in the 1970's.

I think they stayed the OLC Ramblers...and then there was the OLPH Ridgemen (Our Lady of Perpetual Help). I believe both corps were from Brooklyn parishes.

My first corps was the St Joe's "Peanuts"...

A few more from NYS...

Shawnee Indians

Cataract Cavaliers

Suburban Knights

Hose#4

Mark Twain Cadets

Miraculous Medal Orbits

And one from Massachsetts that I will never forget...St Cosmo's Don Juans!

Donny

Cataract Cavaliers

I would imagine that this corps had trouble doing drill. :smile:

Not that type of cataracts...they were from Niagara Falls! A lot of those guys came to St Joes in the late 60's. Some very good talent even though they couldnt see very well.

DA

As I was placing a Ty-D-Bol cake in my toilet tank tonight, I was reminded of a corps named the Bluewater Buccaneers.

• 3 weeks later...
Hamm's Indians, Skokie Indians, pretty much any "Indian" thang would be out today.

The Gay Blades might also have a tough time of it.

Same with the Purple Lancers. :tongue:

York, PA White Roses.....

York is the "White Rose City" and Lancaster, PA is the "Red Rose City" which goes with the English War of the Roses fought between the families trying to get on the English throne way back when. Been told that it wasn't that easy to recruit in the 60s with that name. Especially since York is kind of in a depressed area and it can get nasty there.

Real note is YWR started as a Senior corps, then went Junior, then back to Senior :tongue: