Corps Moving back to "G" Horns

Atleast with G-bugles you don't need 84 Hornline members to get a Massive sound 30-60 Bugles will get you the same effect. You go Platinum!!!! G-Bugles all the way..

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Better Projection

2. Darker Tone in the upper voices

3. Better balance in upper register

4. Force them to use their ears to tune rather than trusting the horn.

Do I have to go on ... or is this just going to end up another G vs BbF thread?

Your the winner.

Spoken like a true lead soprano.

Edited by MelloHorn13

Your the winner.

Spoken like a true lead soprano.

You say that like it's a bad thing.

:confused::dontgetit::shutup:

Atleast with G-bugles you don't need 84 Hornline members [AND A SYNTH] to get a Massive sound 30-60 Bugles will get you the same effect.

Fixed that for ya. :dontgetit:

Dunno, Mike- I'm kinda looking for either a King bari like BD used in the early '80's or a Kanstul for myself right now.

IMHO regardless of G or B-Flat or the situation, corps or brass quintet, I never count on the horn to be in tune, always listening intently.

The closest horn I've ever played where I could think of getting away with that kind of thing was a Hirsbrunner Euphonium that had the nicest comensating valve set-up I've ever played on. And there ain't no marching Bari in any key that has that! And really-- I wouldn't want the extra weight.

What is the resale value on G horns?

To tangentially add to your question, and maybe lead to another...what is the average life-span of a G-bugle vs. a Bb horn?

Granted, in DCA we don't put near the wear and tear on horns as in DCI, but my parade contra (2V DEG Dynasty II) was used for around 10 years in DCI and a couple competitive years in DCA, with sporadic use for the past 10 in parades. My competition horn (4V DEG Magnum) was used by Madison for several years, then by me in DCA for the past 5-6. Any 2V horn out there (excepting USMC surplus) is going to be at least 18yrs old and can fetch a decent amount. There are still P/R horns that pop up in the DCP Marketplace and/or ebay that fetch $100 or more - those must be pushing around 30yrs.

I have no idea of the difference in construction or if it was simply a matter of luck, but if it holds for the modern bugles, it would seem that a comparable one-time outlay for a set of horns that you will keep for 10+ years would outweigh a line that lasts for 3-5 years that might have higher resale value.

not for nothing, but The Troopers played G for years, the activity screamed at them to get Bb and they refused and every year they placed in the 17-13 spot. Then they get Bb, they attract more kids, better students, better staff and boom, they make the top 12.

I love G, the WHOLE DCI lanscape does not. Do the math.

Edited by CT-Horn

not for nothing, but The Troopers played G for years, the activity screamed at them to get Bb and they refused and every year they placed in the 17-13 spot. Then they get Bb, they attract more kids, better students, better staff and boom, they make the top 12.

I love G, the WHOLE DCI lanscape does not. Do the math.

Not to cause an issue here ........ but there is no correlation to Bb and a new staff/members. Sorry.

To Boo. I think the aftermarket for G bugles is actually better now than it was 10 years ago ..... in fact, they're getting harder and harder to find, and darn near impossible to find an entire line to purchase. Considering these horns last 15-30 years, I think they're well worth the value compared to Multi Key aftermarket prices when the horns only last a few years.