DCA Crowd

It's not like the old days when you waited to hear your favorite corps play itself off the field. Then you might follow the corps to the parking lot to hear it play some more.

yeppers....one of the great parts of the finals weekend has been abandoned. Shame really.

Myself and others would like to know how the placing of the corps are for the Alumni Show. Maybe you can help me out here Tom. Scout House has been doing the show for 8 years now and we still show up first. Are there dues to pay. Besides Cabs, our sister corps. we were the only one to put on a full field show. I am being positive that DCA would like to put us on early to drag a crowd out. What tre the politics.

Also, I was disappointed at DCA`s coverage of the event on their website. They said `The show started with the Optimist Alumni from Toronto, etc. I guess we and others werent`t there.

DCA crowds at Finals is a tough sell.

You have a great many people that saw all the corps on Saturday and are using Sunday as a time to catch up with old friends and get rowdy. Far more socializing and drinking going on. Lots less watching the corps but you can bet when their corps hits the field they are in their seats waiting for it. Usually by the time the top 5 corps come on you find people staggering out of the bars and into their seats.

Then you have the lot watchers. I swear drummers would rather hear drum cadences and warm ups in the lot than buy a ticket and watch the show.

At least that has been my observations over the years.

Ive seen several videos on Facebook of finals and yes the crowd does seem stoic at times and much smaller than in years past.

Of the videos I have seen this year Empire certainly had the best standing ovation and crowd response.

not all drummers. i could really care less who plays clean standing still. I'd rather see em do it on the move. Plus half the time, in the lot they play warmups that are harder than their book

Tom,

I'm sorry...I guess my reply came off a bit more harsh than I intended. I do agree about the DCA and Allentown audiences being more educated and analytical, and yes, that's a big part of why the audiences react differently than at some other DCI regionals and finals. (My dad was very impressed with all of the drum corps knowledge around us at the minicorps show). And honestly, I'm pretty much the same way as you in responding to shows...I usually don't applaud if it will cover up anything I want to hear. I don't make a lot of racket, but if I enjoyed a show, I get up on my feet and clap for a while. If I really enjoyed a show, I get up a lot quicker.

I think what threw me with your post is that there is a misperception in some circles about DCA being a bunch of old fogeys, and I guess it disconcerted me a bit for the DCA PR director to be promulgating the stereotype. Yes, the average age may be 55, but there are still plenty of folks in their 20s, 30s, and 40s, and families with kids from toddler to teen. Where I was, the average age was probably closer to 40. A lot of those 30 and 40 somethings have plenty of drum corps experience themselves.

And Jeff, I'm pretty shy and quiet (except when I'm playing my horn). It seems like I'm always near groups of people who have plenty to talk about themselves, so I tend to keep to myself. I'll try, though...

dude, dive in. I really didnt know a lot of DCA folks til 97 and the summer of love on RAMD. I went to the I&E stuff, and just started talking to some folks. Turned out I fought with them that summer online LOL...some clown named Allen or something from Rachacha :dontgetit:

Very true about the Allentown crowd being a VERY tough sell. Young fellow in Crown a couple of years back said it was regarded as the toughest crowd in DCI, period. If the emperor has no clothes, that crowd will say so and not be polite...

I do know there were some points in some shows that are designed for reactions, and I know I reacted at Reading when some folks sat, I know I bought the product.

And most definiely, there's a good mix of all ages attending in the regular season- can't tell you about Rochester, but I think I'll be there next year in Annapolis! :dontgetit:

Allentown can be brutal regardless of the circuit. I remember stuff I heard there in the 80's. and there are no sacred cows, even the corps that says they from there now

yeppers....one of the great parts of the finals weekend has been abandoned. Shame really.

I know many more people miss playing off the field than the parking lot stuff. I've heard far too many people make fun of the parking lot heroes trying to hit notes they couldn't or wouldn't try on the field

Allentown can be brutal regardless of the circuit. I remember stuff I heard there in the 80's. and there are no sacred cows, even the corps that says they from there now

Sayin what yah said, I appreciate the crowd response we got there even more in '82 and '83 then. They dug us. :dontgetit:

My own experience of the crowd at DCA finals was a great one. Welcoming, supportive and very appreciative, they welcomed us Brits with open arms, and to get that many people on their feet once is an acheivement in itself, but 3 times in one night, I was at a loss for words.

The DCA crowd, both educated and experienced in what we do were an absolute delight, and standing at the back of the field looking at several thousand faces waiting to watch our little show, was really daunting.

Thanks DCA for your hospitality, both on and off the field. I have never been stopped and complimented so many times in one weekend. What a feeling!!

As for the weather, well until you've been to DCUK finals on a wet, cold weekend in October, you've never had to suffer for your art!!!

Lee Court

Kidsgrove Scouts Staff 2009, 2010