Shows that just wouldnt be the same...

BennyASU

Obviously no show would be the same, but i have a few shows that i just absolutely cannot picture without the guard.

SCV 91 - wow, all of the different ideas and props they used to make this show come to life really blew me away (the rattan fans, the bamboo sticks, the giant red lanternish things in the closer), and some cool weapons work too. They really brought this show to life. I loved their uni's too

Cadets 93 - holy ####, this is definitely one of the great guards of all time. their integration into the show was far ahead of its time, the uniforms were awesome, their book was hard and beautifully done!

Blue Devils 1994 - man what a guard. they performed the heck out of this show. I loved their work, especially the all saber opening. Without the guard, this show would be nothing to me, they sold the visual aspect of the show since i didnt feel the hornline drill did...very well done.

Cavies 1995 - come on, the guy climbing the ladder with the gold orb is one of DCI's most used images (along with SCV's "Christine" holding the mask). And aside from that still, was some awesome flagwork in the opener, and great rifle work throughout.

SCV 2000 - to me, the epitome of a guard selling the show concept. there was so much emotion portrayed through their performance. The beauty of Prayers of Kierkegaard, the anger of the Bartok pieces, the sheer intensity of Adagio, and the beautiful resolution in the closer...wow. The uniqueness of the flag and weapons work, as well as the dance work, blew me away. It was a style completely unlike any other corps, and i loved it.

Crown 2001 - I really loved this show from them, in all aspects, but the guard is what gave this show its theme. They sold us the idea of Industry with their intriguing use of wood, rubber, and metal. I thought the wood rifles looked really cool, and the tires in the ballad was very musical and well done. They were definitely a high point of the entire 2001 season for me.

Edited by BennyASU

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll give you the SCV 1991, the Cavies 1995, and Crown 2001... HOWEVER... the cadets 1993 guard was really not that great.. they had several weapon drops and their flag work wasnt all that hard.... they did have a nice concept going on though. 1993 would totally have to go to Star... that guard was HOT and way ahead of their time.

1994, the blue devils guard was good.. sure... but who won the award?? The cadets and they SO deserved it... I hate west side story and the cadets totally sold that show to the crowd and the judges...

and SCV in 2000 was one of the worst guards from them in a long time.... i'd rather watch an old episode of This Old House than watch SCV's 2000 guard.... BORING and their weapon work was too choppy , as was the flag work...

2000 Carolina Crown - that guard was FREAKING AWESOME!!! Listening to the Zoro soundtrack is dull for the most part, but watch crown and you see it all!!

Carolina Crown 1999!! WOW the guard that made 45 tosses the new wave in color guard... they truly brought broadway to life!

I am an SCV fan, obviously.

1991 was awesome. That was my first live Drum Corps show ever. I fell in love with the theatrical beauty that was captured in that show.

1994 SCV - also I thought wouldn't be the same without the beautiful guard.

1993 Star - the guard made that show

1993 Cadets - those costumes made me sweat just looking at them. They were beautiful. It completed the look and the feel of the production.

1995 BD - I was intimidated. Watching that performance, I really wasn't looking at anything else but the guard.

1980 27th Lancers - That show was MADE for the guard!

The 1986 Garfield Cadets tried to do a show without much of a color guard. They started out that season way down the pact. As the season went on, they tried doing more and more with the little color guard they had that year, 12 members. I guesses they then realized how important the color guard was.

B)

The 1986 Garfield Cadets tried to do a show without much of a color guard. They started out that season way down the pact. As the season went on, they tried doing more and more with the little color guard they had that year, 12 members. I guesses they then realized how important the color guard was.

B)

That's really an amazing thing, since they fielded about 36 for the guard in 1987 and Cadets won DCI...

1987's another year that Cadets, Phantom and (my personal fav from that year) SkyRyders couldn't do their show without the guard.

The 1986 Garfield Cadets tried to do a show without much of a color guard.  They started out that season way down the pact.  As the season went on, they tried doing more and more with the little color guard they had that year, 12 members.    I guesses they then realized how important the color guard was.

B)

That's really an amazing thing, since they fielded about 36 for the guard in 1987 and Cadets won DCI...

1987's another year that Cadets, Phantom and (my personal fav from that year) SkyRyders couldn't do their show without the guard.

Yes....I loved Sky's version of West Side Story. Did you noticed the "blonde" and "black" hair effects? I was told if you were in the group with dark hair and you were a blonde, you had to dye your hair, vice versa for the dark haired kids. b**bs