'81 Whitewater - Garfield Cadets

You mean with the number 1 and 2 drums reversed from the normal configuration now? Probably because quads were still a relatively new toy back then, and they were still figuring it all out (I checked FN, and Garfield had them in that position through the mid 80s, at least - everyone else seems to have put the #1 out top right, the way it is now).

It's possible that whoever was their tenor instructor looked at quads like a drum set and thought to try the normal tom configuration, with the smallest ride tom positioned top left. That's the only explanation I could come up with, since nothing else about the positioning makes sense from a player's standpoint. :smile:

I worked with the Garfield tenor line back in the early 80's when they used that configuration... I never liked it honestly, but the players in the line did OK with it. The tenor book back then supposedly tended to support patterns that were supportive of that setup.... but IMHO they just as easily could have used a standard configuration.

I worked with the Garfield tenor line back in the early 80's when they used that configuration... I never liked it honestly, but the players in the line did OK with it. The tenor book back then supposedly tended to support patterns that were supportive of that setup.... but IMHO they just as easily could have used a standard configuration.

Cool, thanks for the info.

Edited by mobrien