Audience types at Mini Corps competition

KenD

I've watched the attendance at the mini corps show in Rochester continuously rise. There seems to be a split in the type of attendees. One group appears to be there to watch all corps and enjoy/evaluate their performance. The other group appears to watch one or two corps then congregate towards the rear of the hall and actively socialize to the point where it is at times the background din is so loud it becomes disruptive. What group do you fall into? Should we seperate the social area from the performance area? Should they charge a fee (tickets) for attendance?

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've watched the attendance at the mini corps show in Rochester continuously rise. There seems to be a split in the type of attendees. One group appears to be there to watch all corps and enjoy/evaluate their performance. The other group appears to watch one or two corps then congregate towards the rear of the hall and actively socialize to the point where it is at times the background din is so loud it becomes disruptive. What group do you fall into? Should we seperate the social area from the performance area? Should they charge a fee (tickets) for attendance?

I think they should accept donations to be split between the corps ....... I'd also say it's become so popular because you have both the Wild West bar atmosphere and the ultimate fans sitting up close and personal. Do we really need to make things that serious? Maybe. It would be nice if the judges would ask some to step out if it impedes their ability to judge the corps ... otherwise, I'd leave it like it is.

Seriously?

A. How long have you been in / around Drum Corps?

2. Have you never experienced the "catch up" on camaraderie time of DCA weekend for so many folks?

C. Have you no clue about the present day economy?

Oh, I could build on this list... but, why bother.... you didn't seem to put a whole lot of thought into this topic to begin with....

I liked the rock-n-roll atmosphere, but when I was around in 92-94, people were getting rowdy and crazy for the performances, not talking, etc.

They nearly tore the place down for God's sake when Erie went on, LOL. :dontgetit:

Was a pretty cool and unforgettable experience then. I think some of those folks need to chill and watch- the mini-corps scene has some REALLY good groups with unbelieveable talent playing some fantastic charts from top to bottom....

Edited by BigW

2. Have you never experienced the "catch up" on camaraderie time of DCA weekend for so many folks?

Been around since 1977 as a fan, 1979-84 as a performer, done other stuff involved with corps since then off and on, playin' in an alumni corps now, workin' with the HS scene teaching, directing, instructing, judging since 1980. I don't know if it qualifies me more than the next guy, but I hope I got a long enough "stick" to answer. :confused:

Played catch-up for a long time, too. Taken 30 minutes to walk the last 50 feet into a show a couple of times.

That bein' said, when corps are on, I'm into their scene. I wait till it's over before I start catchin' up again.... :dontgetit:

And really I don't care where, cheer, scream, get crazy, but don't be havin' conversations at the back of the room during a performance. If that's what's happening- it's not cool if it can be heard during the performance. Is that the case? I wouldn't know. If it is, it is a problem.

Edited by BigW

Seriously?

Oh, I could build on this list... but, why bother.... you didn't seem to put a whole lot of thought into this topic to begin with....

A. Since 1955

2. Yes

3. Yes, retired and living on SS.

Please explain. Not about A an C, but why it's important for 2 to occur during a corps performance and not for example outside in the hallway?

Exactly. There was way too much noise going on during the performances. The socializing needs to be taken out to the lobby or the street. It's the same situation as Finals in Scranton when the people that went to hang out at the Stadium Club were just plain disruptive. Those mini corps performances are being recorded and are offered as part of the DVD package. Don't know if the mics can pick up on all the noise but it would be the last thing I want to hear on video.

Seriously?

:dontgetit: Uncalled for, IMO. I don't think it matters how long you've been around drum corps.

A. I've been around the activity for about 20 years now and the noice at the back of the room bothers me as well. I'm there to see the mini corps.

2. Like BigW I have had the pleasure of it taking more than 1/2 an hour to get from one side of the stands to the other. However, I agree with him that there is a time and place. Outside the stadium (or during I&E's, out in the street)? Sure - go ahead and whoop it up. But that would be the same as if you were performing on the field and I saw a judge I knew and just walked out there on the field to strike up a conversation in the middle of your show. You wouldn't appreciate it, and if I were competing in the minicorps show, I wouldn't either.

C. Yes, I agree that the economy is in the toilet. However, considering the economy, I don't think asking for $1-2 donations would cramp anyone's pocketbook, but it may help cover the costs of the HOURS OF FREE ENTERTAINMENT being afforded to everyone by DCA and it's members on Friday night. Just something to think about.

I have to agree with most of the above posts. I feel that the mini-corps show should remain "un-ticketed" although I could certainly see where the competing units would benefit from a buck or two in contributions.

More important, however, is the noise level coming from the back of the room. I missed several of the mini-corps because I just had to get away from all that noise for a few minutes.

We'd criticize people openly and severely if they chattered away during a corps' field performance (as was done on another thread regarding some staff members), so should we treat mini-corps with any less respect?

I have to agree with most of the above posts. I feel that the mini-corps show should remain "un-ticketed" although I could certainly see where the competing units would benefit from a buck or two in contributions.

More important, however, is the noise level coming from the back of the room. I missed several of the mini-corps because I just had to get away from all that noise for a few minutes.

We'd criticize people openly and severely if they chattered away during a corps' field performance (as was done on another thread regarding some staff members), so should we treat mini-corps with any less respect?

Move the bar to another location in the Convention Center and you'll remove most of the noise ... when we first went to Roch in 2006, there seemed to be adequate separation from front to back with smaller crowds ... five years later and it seems that the crowds have grown and the separation diminished ... move the bar and you'll solve a lot but, not all of the "social" background noise ... and now is the time to prepare how Annapolis will be set up ...

Andy "BHOF MC who routinely directs 'socializers' to the bar" Lisko