Audience types at Mini Corps competition

KenD

I have to agree with most of the above posts. I feel that the mini-corps show should remain "un-ticketed" although I could certainly see where the competing units would benefit from a buck or two in contributions.

More important, however, is the noise level coming from the back of the room. I missed several of the mini-corps because I just had to get away from all that noise for a few minutes.

We'd criticize people openly and severely if they chattered away during a corps' field performance (as was done on another thread regarding some staff members), so should we treat mini-corps with any less respect?

I mentioned the ticket with 2 thoughts in mind:

1. With an attendance in the thousands the money from a nominal ticket fee (say $5.00) would go a long way to helping these minicorps with their limited resources.

2. We would probably loose a percentage of the audience who just come to socialize in the back. A good thing IMHO, and those folks would probably very quickly find a new venue for their reunion.

My flame suit is on..

however I hope that everyone realizes I mean no ill will towards anyone.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the idea of voluntary donations. The I&E pin idea was cool too. I ended up buying one to commemorate my trip this year.

Alrighty then, I've been marching in drum corps for 52 years, been to many many shows, people talking during performances are usually politely, first, asked to be quiet, then it gets worse. I have been attending i and e since its beginning. When it is outside, the problem is solved, inside at the mini corps venue, people in the back are not there to watch but to socialize like tailgating. The din is very noticable, and should be dealt with, close the doors and have people stand outside to "reconnect" with their friends. I have asked people to quiet down and most of them just look at you like they speak a different language. Time to act and SHUT THEM UP!!! The money thing is unimportant, in a couple of years the venue will be in a stadium no drinking inside, just people that want to listen will come in, problem solved. I and E and FREE go together.

Edited by bariman50

I think if people stayed downstairs and/or outside in the street, we wouldn't notice the noise sitting in the audience. One big hiccup this year, however, was Mother Nature and the fact that due to the rain, practically everyone was inside just prior to the mini corps starting. I have attended the mini corps for many years, I have never seen it that crowded inside before at Rochester. As for the $, whomever came up with the I & E pin, it was a brilliant idea and I don't how many they made/sold, but they should make a different one for every year to help offset the costs...I would gladly buy two (one for myself and one for my Mrs.) as I did this year. We collect drum corps pins. Although the numbers may have been down slightly in the number of units performing this year, the mini corps have absolutely stepped up their performances. A big thank you to all the units who performed!

I like the idea of voluntary donations. The I&E pin idea was cool too. I ended up buying one to commemorate my trip this year.

Pass the bucket, like they do at the "free" jazz fest in Hartford. Even if the money doesn't go back to the corps, at least DCA will have some help in paying for facilities, etc.

Move the bar to another location in the Convention Center and you'll remove most of the noise ... when we first went to Roch in 2006, there seemed to be adequate separation from front to back with smaller crowds ... five years later and it seems that the crowds have grown and the separation diminished ... move the bar and you'll solve a lot but, not all of the "social" background noise ... and now is the time to prepare how Annapolis will be set up ...

Andy "BHOF MC who routinely directs 'socializers' to the bar" Lisko

Good point Andy.... I'm pretty sure that in 2006, the viewing audience was farther away from the "socializing audience."

That separation is a good thing, as far as I'm concerned....it allows for the best of both worlds: a quieter environment for the folks watching the corps, and a relaxed environment for those wanting to chat and catch up with some old friends.

Seriously?

A. How long have you been in / around Drum Corps?

2. Have you never experienced the "catch up" on camaraderie time of DCA weekend for so many folks?

C. Have you no clue about the present day economy?

Oh, I could build on this list... but, why bother.... you didn't seem to put a whole lot of thought into this topic to begin with....

I haven't been to mini corps for a few years, but to be honest, the socializing at times reminds me of the walkway and tunnels in Scranton....so loud you can't hear the corps

We don't notice it on stage...maybe if the announcer could remind the crowd just before asking if the judges are ready that might be enough to keep it to a dull roar.

Thank you! That's a good suggestion that I will file for next year.

And to those of you who bought one of the 354,855 pins manufactured for the event, I know DCA is thankful for your support!