Audience types at Mini Corps competition

KenD

the social is the beauty of mini corps. remember that the origin of mini corps awesomeness was the Erie Thunderbirds and their style was like over-the-top entertainment at a party.

the party is the key.

mini corps is the exclamation point on the party...a party that started when everyone got on the bus on Friday morning and finally had a chance to get together around 8pm at dca.

the "gathering" is still the draw.... and LOOK! everybody shows up :) that was a 3,000 person hoo-hah and all you had to bring was a pulse and a smile. Thank you, Dick Pronti :)

"toning it down", "dimming the lights", and all that misses the point....

its loose, its fun, its unique the way it is....and is absolutely true to its origin as a party and a happening.

please, DCA, dont change a thing

But some of us want the relaxed hanging with friends attitude WITHOUT having it affect hearing the corps. When I'm in the middle of the audience and can still hear a roar coming from the bar side while a corps is on the stage, something needs to be done. It would not be acceptible any other day of the weekend and crowds have been asked to tone it down during the I&E portion of the evening. Why treat the Minis differently?

Edited by JimF-LowBari

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree on the party being moved outside. Last year I got stuck in an area where I couldn't hear a thing. I had to see Star on the web because I couldn't actually hear any parts less than ff live.

I also am ready with my flamesuit on, but I'd almost love to see mini-corps get the lights down to nothing but stage lights, and perhaps even have the opportunity to work lighting effects in to their show.

I AM NOT SAYING USE ANY ELECTRONIC INSTRUMENT OR ELECTRONIC SOUND ENHANCEMENT!

What I am saying is that it would be cool to add the lighting ellement to the mini corps show. Just my opinion.

EDIT: I know all the "cons" already, not the least of which being $$$. Regardless, I just think it would be awesome.

Edited by ahquad

Amen Frank, thanks for the "voice of reason"!!!!!

I have discussed the noise level with the Convention Center a couple of times. We could go back to playing the other way in the room and put the refreshments in the back, which would be farthur, but when we did that, the Corps and spectators complained about the line of view. You may have noticed this year, that there were curtains surrounding the back of the judges stand, that did help that area . I think we can curtain some of the side of the audiennce and that will push partiers farthuer away.

Before someone mentions it there will be no podium on stage next year. I wanted it moved when I saw it this year but becuase of the extra Video equipement and improved sound system, there wasn't enough time.

Obviously the Convention center would be against moving the refreshments outside. This pays for the crew that they need to run the place for us.

One more year in Rochester so I doubt, we will make too many changes, but I will do as I and DCA always do, work with Corps and fans. I am all ready working on a new set of problems that come with a new Championshp location in two years.

I have discussed the noise level with the Convention Center a couple of times. We could go back to playing the other way in the room and put the refreshments in the back, which would be farthur, but when we did that, the Corps and spectators complained about the line of view. You may have noticed this year, that there were curtains surrounding the back of the judges stand, that did help that area . I think we can curtain some of the side of the audiennce and that will push partiers farthuer away.

Before someone mentions it there will be no podium on stage next year. I wanted it moved when I saw it this year but becuase of the extra Video equipement and improved sound system, there wasn't enough time.

Obviously the Convention center would be against moving the refreshments outside. This pays for the crew that they need to run the place for us.

One more year in Rochester so I doubt, we will make too many changes, but I will do as I and DCA always do, work with Corps and fans. I am all ready working on a new set of problems that come with a new Championshp location in two years.

So, let's recap the good suggestions:

-Dim the lights

-Have the announcer remind the audience regarding refreshments and keeping it down to a dull roar when corps are performing

-How about vendors in the audience between corps, you know, "cold beer here!!!" as well as the regular stations

-Having Lisko coach the announcer

-NO AMPLIFICATION

I don't see charging a few dollars admission fee as a bad thing. I see interrupting any corps' performances, unless in case of an emergency, as rude, and frankly I am amazed at how many others do not.

One more year in Rochester so I doubt, we will make too many changes, but I will do as I and DCA always do, work with Corps and fans. I am all ready working on a new set of problems that come with a new Championship location in two years.

Dick,

I love playing in the venue the way it is set up now, and believe the acoustics are far better than when we played the "long room" as in 2006. What if the refreshments were simply moved out into the lobby area behind the judges? That would at least provide some physical separation between the crowd that's engaged in the show, and those that are more interested in catching up with each other.

Just Say'n

But some of us want the relaxed hanging with friends attitude WITHOUT having it affect hearing the corps. When I'm in the middle of the audience and can still hear a roar coming from the bar side while a corps is on the stage, something needs to be done. It would not be acceptible any other day of the weekend and crowds have been asked to tone it down during the I&E portion of the evening. Why treat the Minis differently?

AMEN. Crowd respect for the performers is essential. Going back to what I said- cheer, get crazy, but to have in performance intteruptions flat out stinks. :blink:

Before you read, know this: mine is a party-goers perspective :) ...and DCA invites everybody to the mini-corps party...no VIP passes, no reserved seats, nobody screened for drum corps pedigree... :)

First things first: a cover charge? no way. spoils the fun. "come to my party....that'll be $5"...yuck....that's when it goes from a party to a performance and I dont think thats the point :)

Its the one thing in drum corps that doesnt take itself too seriously and IMHO, thats what keeps it fun.

Quick...what place did Freelancers take? What did they score? Who'd they beat? No idea.

Now try this one: Were Freelancers AWESOME? Absolutely! Everybody went bananas!

I'm not sure that Freelancers showed up to accomplish much more than that: showcase their talent and turn people on. Score!

Anyway,

Frank, I sat behind you in the fourth row...and we both got to hear things loud and clear (I have both our reactions on vid...we LOVED IT to the point of laughing out loud and clapping at some of the ridiculousness coming from the Star ensemble:). Great view, great seats. When i did get up to get a beverage, i waded into the social and thought about how cool it was that both things were happening simultaneously. Then I went back to my great seat. I could literally go from a "catch up" conversation to engagement in a performance in a few seconds.

I admit that I did both...because i could :) Where the imaginary line between performance and social was, I guess I couldnt tell you. Here's the thing: I guess I wasnt paying too much attention to all the other party goers at this-or-that instant because, in the atmosphere, it felt like we were all on the same page.

i look at Mini kind of like a wedding or bar mitzvah or family reunion...we're all there for sort of the same reason (call it fun? a celebration?)...the band is gonna play... GREAT! ...while they are, you can either dance or have a drink, make a request for a favorite or socialize...you almost get to choose the type of fun you have and when you are going to have it during the party. The band is either the focus or the backdrop..and you get to pick when you dance and when you dont....no disrespect if you dont like the tune or just need a minute to catch your breath....you take a break, chill, talk, whatever... and then come back....and everybody is there to celebrate the same thing so, if someone "has a little too much" or talks a little too loud, they get a pass...because they are family :)

It's so cool that we are having this discussion about MiniCorps :). Its so cool that mini corps went from a few corps in one of the I&E rooms to this monster we call Mini Corps Championships. Its so cool that 17 years of laying the foundation has gotten us to this point where we want to max it out for everyone. I hope we dont overdo it by overanalyzing it (whoops, I think I just did that).

Edited by wishbonecav

Joey,

Usually I agree with everything you say here on DCP. You are 99.99% spot on with everything and I really respect that about you.....BUT...

...Here is the 00.01% where I disagree with you.

To all of the mini corps, this is OUR championship. Just like the Open Class and Class A DCA corps have their days/nights competing for a championship. This is OUR night! The ONLY night each year that we have to compete! I honestly feel that all the 'partyers' or 'gatherers' are showing a lack of respect for what they are watching by all of the noise they are creating. At one time yes.....this was the big party of the weekend. But as most of the drum corps circuit has done over the past years, things evolve. The Mini Corps are no different. We have ALL evolved into what we are doing today. Each one of the corps performing are taking this night very seriously, and the winner of the show can proudly display themselves as the DCA Mini Corps CHAMPION. This may not mean anything to the people 'partying' or 'gathering', but to the performers it means EVERYTHING!!To some, this is a chance for thier corps to grow and possibly even evolve into a DCA Class A corps, or as MCL has done, evolve into a DCA Open Class Corps. (Watch them in 2004....brand new mini corps, and came out in 2005 as an Open class corps)!

It's time to change things up with this portion of the weekend. Things DO need to change!!! You can still have your party....move it outside, or into the lobby area. It's big enough. (And admit it.....the party starts the minute you arrive in Rochester...not when the mini corps start!) Move the beer cart, and food cart out there. You want to party? Great....go for it...but do it outside. If you want to watch a serious competition between the top mini corps in the country, come inside...but keep the noise down, and then cheer as loudly as you want, and talk as loudly as you want after a particular corps has finished their portion of the competition! But once the next corps comes on, show the respect to that corps and quiet down!

Sorry....just my $ .02. Flame away.....

:blink::tongue::tongue::devil::ph34r: