Audience types at Mini Corps competition

KenD

So, let's recap the good suggestions:

-Dim the lights

-Have the announcer remind the audience regarding refreshments and keeping it down to a dull roar when corps are performing

-How about vendors in the audience between corps, you know, "cold beer here!!!" as well as the regular stations

-Having Lisko coach the announcer

-NO AMPLIFICATION

no offense...we made announcements and had the brown shirts at Scranton get after people along the lower level railing and tunnels. we always have people make announcements about not getting up during a corps performance ( medical emergencies like at prelims are a different story).

yet every year it happens. Hell I still get ###### off thinking about the Legion guys trooping down the stands during Bucs finals show in 05.

you can try and coach people about stupidity all you want...they will still be rude and stupid. so really, the best thing to do is move whatever you can so you give people less opportunity to be rude and stupid

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Before you read, know this: mine is a party-goers perspective :) ...and DCA invites everybody to the mini-corps party...no VIP passes, no reserved seats, nobody screened for drum corps pedigree... :)

First things first: a cover charge? no way. spoils the fun. "come to my party....that'll be $5"...yuck....that's when it goes from a party to a performance and I dont think thats the point :)

Its the one thing in drum corps that doesnt take itself too seriously and IMHO, thats what keeps it fun.

Quick...what place did Freelancers take? What did they score? Who'd they beat? No idea.

Now try this one: Were Freelancers AWESOME? Absolutely! Everybody went bananas!

I'm not sure that Freelancers showed up to accomplish much more than that: showcase their talent and turn people on. Score!

Anyway,

Frank, I sat behind you in the fourth row...and we both got to hear things loud and clear (I have both our reactions on vid...we LOVED IT to the point of laughing out loud and clapping at some of the ridiculousness coming from the Star ensemble:). Great view, great seats. When i did get up to get a beverage, i waded into the social and thought about how cool it was that both things were happening simultaneously. Then I went back to my great seat. I could literally go from a "catch up" conversation to engagement in a performance in a few seconds.

I admit that I did both...because i could :) Where the imaginary line between performance and social was, I guess I couldnt tell you. Here's the thing: I guess I wasnt paying too much attention to all the other party goers at this-or-that instant because, in the atmosphere, it felt like we were all on the same page.

i look at Mini kind of like a wedding or bar mitzvah or family reunion...we're all there for sort of the same reason (call it fun? a celebration?)...the band is gonna play... GREAT! ...while they are, you can either dance or have a drink, make a request for a favorite or socialize...you almost get to choose the type of fun you have and when you are going to have it during the party. The band is either the focus or the backdrop..and you get to pick when you dance and when you dont....no disrespect if you dont like the tune or just need a minute to catch your breath....you take a break, chill, talk, whatever... and then come back....and everybody is there to celebrate the same thing so, if someone "has a little too much" or talks a little too loud, they get a pass...because they are family :)

It's so cool that we are having this discussion about MiniCorps :). Its so cool that mini corps went from a few corps in one of the I&E rooms to this monster we call Mini Corps Championships. Its so cool that 17 years of laying the foundation has gotten us to this point where we want to max it out for everyone. I hope we dont overdo it by overanalyzing it (whoops, I think I just did that).

B I N G O!!! :blink::ph34r::tongue::wub::tongue::wub::devil::wub:

Just like there are two different trains of thought on retreat, be it play off or just leave, apparently there are two different trains of thought of spectators and players for mini corps/

Just like there are two different trains of thought on retreat, be it play off or just leave, apparently there are two different trains of thought of spectators and players for mini corps/

Yeah- sad that one of the trains seems to have decided that the performers on stage can be ran over by their train, too. :blink:

Lack of respect to peers. Enough said. No excuses for it. Sorry. Don't care if it's a mini-corps or an alumni corps, or a competing corps, or a guy representing the Belchville Surfmen in I and E. Have respect!

I agree about not charging to get in to the Mini Corps venue.

Big Picture, Mini Corps is the same as any other I&E competition.

If you don't have to pay to watch the Baritone Individuals, for example, why pay for Mini Corps?

Or why not move the Mini Corps outside?

There are lots of other I&Es on the street...

(Shrug)

Or better yet, why not make the Mini Corps Championship separate from I&Es?

Then you can have any venue you want - and charge whatever you want...

But as long as it's part of the I&E (the E = Ensemble, correct?), it should play by the same rules, IMO...

And when you put the venue's biggest bar in the Mini Corps room, what do you expect!?

Heh...

Well maybe they should reconsider the bar then? No I am not kidding. I say this because a very intoxicated person almost knocked a friend of mine over the balcony.

balcony? Isn't that outside.... overlooking the river? The smoking area? I'm a so confused.

Yes, across from the entrance into mini-corps and that is where the guy went right back into while I ran to find security.

People if they want to will drink elsewhere. And yes, I realize the profits from what is sold is paying for the use of the convention center. But really, people need not be stupid drunk and ruin it for others.

folks... we deal with the reality of each venue... while Mr. Pronti is listening and will ALWAYS try and hone in the suggestions and improvements - there is just so much each venue will allow.

I might say that you guys have beat this to death and that he has the message and I'm sure will work to make it better next year, but I remind you that in 2012, we have a completely different venue and the circumstances and facilities will change radically. Hopefully, for the better. However, the one thing I can guarantee is that it will be completely different.

Thanks for all your comments and suggestions...