1988 Spirit of Atlanta "Petrouchka"

No information about 88-89 on DrumCorpsWiki. Wikipedia says:

But there's no citation.

You can see the 89 uniforms here on the Spirit website. There's no 88 photo on the site.

Wow, the guy with the sun glasses in the middle of the second row must have filled a hole about 3 minutes before this picture was taken, or he's albino, because I've never seen anyone that Milky White on finals week.... lol

Great Pic!!

~Michael

probably around 34"/36". I don't recall anyone using anything bigger, except for that big 40" drum that Phantom limped up and down the 50 yard line back in the early 80's.

Fred O.

IIRC, it was a 40, at least in 88. They even used the old-timey Slingerland carier for it. I guess they kept it around just in case Mike Back said "Well, gotta use the 40 this year! What can we use to tote it around?"

Wow, the guy with the sun glasses in the middle of the second row must have filled a hole about 3 minutes before this picture was taken, or he's albino, because I've never seen anyone that Milky White on finals week.... lol

Great Pic!!

~Michael

I would guess that those 5 in the middle holding shakos are the cymbal line with the pit to their right (no shakos) and the 4 tenors to their left.

I found my 1989 championships cassette with SoA on it. That was one of my favorite shows of that year.

Two things that stood out to me, the most, were the originality of the music and that huge drumline! I remember sitting in the stands at Arrowhead and wondering how in the heck the bottom two basses could carry those things! I also recall the rearview mirrors! Not forgetting to mention those drums were Ludwigs! Yeeesh! Nothing like marching an anvil on the field!

Although the corps wasn't a finalist unit, you could still hear the talent in the Mike Back led drumline. That guy was another percussion master of that era and produced some amazing drumlines. Oh yeah, and that 1989 drumline was frickin' huge!

The program-Interseller Suite-was such a different departure for the corps. I'm surprised no one has attempted to tackle it since. I'm still partial to 1983 being my all time favorite SoA show; but the '89 program ranks right up there in second.

...and that big ol' drumline! D**n!

that huge drumline! . . . you could still hear the talent in the Mike Back led drumline. That guy was another percussion master of that era and produced some amazing drumlines. . . . . drumline was frickin' huge!. . . and that big ol' drumline! D**n!

Yes. The best part was the backsticking accelerando, and it is mostly missing on the video.

I would guess that those 5 in the middle holding shakos are the cymbal line with the pit to their right (no shakos) and the 4 tenors to their left.

You are correct sir.

PhilHartman.jpg

Great Pic!!

~Michael

My husband is albino. Knowing the vision issues and the dangers of sun exposure, I would be surprised if a "person with albinism" (the PC version - which is too long and annoying to say, so we don't say it in our house) has marched in drum corps. Pit would be plausible, however. In any case, to thwart repeated severe sunburn a person with albinism would not be able to rely on sunscreen. Long sleeves, long pants, hats, etc. would be routine.

IIRC, it was a 40, at least in 88. They even used the old-timey Slingerland carier for it. I guess they kept it around just in case Mike Back said "Well, gotta use the 40 this year! What can we use to tote it around?"

Doesn't look as big as Phantom's 40" drum in the picture, but if you've got inside information, we'll go with that. Thanks for the fyi!

Fred O.

Doesn't look as big as Phantom's 40" drum in the picture, but if you've got inside information, we'll go with that. Thanks for the fyi!

Fred O.

I'm talking about 1988. I never saw Spirit in 1989.