George Parks

that is exactly what I was just thinking Glen,............that high toss/grand pause,............is one of the finest moments of drum corps history, and will never be replicated,..................RIP George

Few years back I bought late 70s DCA on CD. Heard that pause and the crowd going ape and tried to figure out why. Then I remembered the mace toss and it was "Oh yeah" :tongue:

Will have to watch 79/80 shows this weekend on the Buccs 50th DVD...... :tongue:

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Best drum major ever, and one of the nicest people I ever had the pleasure to meet.

I was fortunate enough to meet George when I was a clueless young first time DM at 15, and the afternoon I got to spend at his clinic made a huge impression on me. When I ran into him a few years later, both as DM of the Bridgemen and then of Star, I was so startled that he remembered me each time. When I confessed that to him, he slyly added that he was"...always watching the progress of his students." Always an educator; always a gentleman.

I was in awe of him, I adored him, and he touched so many, many people in such a positive way over the span of decades.

Too soon. Yet another one too soon.

Rest peacefully. My very deepest sympathies to his family and his many, many friends and students.

Karen

Jeff Weir of the US Naval Academy D&B Corps just posted on Facebook:

"Deepest condolences to the UMass Power and Class, past and present... RIP George Parks"

I asked what happened; he replied:

"Details still coming in... died suddenly while on the road with the band to Michigan... UMass-Michigan tomorrow at noon... unbelievable..."

RIP, George. Condolences to the entire Parks family.

Some details are on the web:

UMass band director dies in Ohio

Updated: Friday, 17 Sep 2010, 9:01 AM EDT

Published : Friday, 17 Sep 2010, 8:53 AM EDT

Jackie Brousseau

AMHERST, Mass. (WWLP) - The band director of the UMass Minutemen Marching Band has died suddenly while on a school trip to Ohio.

57-year-old George Parks died of a heart attack late last night.

According to Chief Paul Mocedor of the Cuyahoga Falls Fire Department, EMTs were called to the high school for a patient in cardiac arrest around 10:30 last night.

Bystanders were performing CPR on the patient when paramedics got there.

The patient was taken to a local hospital where he died.

Parks was the band director for 33 years at UMass.

I am stunned to read this news.

What a great drum major, leader, and man he was. Taken from us at way too young an age.

This is a huge loss for the marching music activity.

RIP, George.

This is quite shocking news, and I extend my condolences to his family, the UMASS family, and the Buccaneers family on the loss of George Parks.

I attended his drum major academy as a know-it-all high school DM in 1994. Of all the things I took from that experience, the one thing that resonated with me the most was the concept of intensity: putting it all on the line, no fear, throw down, and drag the corps or band along with you if need be. YOU had to be the rock. Through his example I learned this lesson and I employed what I learned as a high school drum major and then for 10 years as a drum major for the Bushwackers.

This is a sad day for the activity. He impacted thousands of drum majors, inspired generations of performers, and made doing what he loves his life...and for that I thank you.

Edited by DMCK

Deepest sympathies goes out to George's family and the Buccaneers. He is an great icon of DCA.

Way too soon!

All my hopes to the Bucs family and all members of the marching arts community who have lost a true leader and supporter of the activity.

Flash

We've updated the Buccaneers web site to include news of George's passing, and we will update that story with details of arrangements once we know them. We'll also post them here. In addition, we are establishing a section our "BucsBoards" message forum for people to post remembrances of George. If you have access to BucsBoards, please feel free to post a remembrance or post one on the corps' Facebook page. We'll certainly do something appropriate with the messages to honor George.

This is truly a sad day for the Buccaneers family and the entire drum corps and marching arts community. It's probably impossible to quantify the impact that George had on so many people, but we know greatness when we see it, and he had that in spades.

We appreciate everyone's condolences, thoughts and best wishes and we will pass those along to George's family.

George Parks was just one of a handful of amazing performers that I remember watching as a kid. I'm extremely thankful to have had the opportunity to play under him (just once) for the Bucs 50th Anniversary year with the alumni corps. He's is but one of a very short list of people who I, as a drum major, am inspired by and wish to emulate, though I know I never could live up to.

The great drum corps in the sky is getting a bit overloaded with talent these days.