Who is REALLY boycotting DCI?

BX5CM

I'm not sure what you mean by your last sentence, but I'm one who has put DCI completely, totally, and utterly out of my mind - no shows, no DVD's, no CD's, no souvies, no support of any kind.

I haven't been to a DCI show in seven or eight years; don't even know who won this year (or last).

There is no one item that caused me to defect. I simply don't care at all for what DCI has become and what it has done to the activity I grew up in.

This is my first post (I believe) on the DCI section of DCP - and will more than likely be my last. I only posted this because I thought your question was intriguing.

Andy

If you are posting on this forum, you have certainly not "put DCI completely, totally, and utterly" out of your mind!

My question for those who "hate" the current direction of the activity: Why do you waste your time posting on here? It's not like electronics are going to be repealed, drill will go back to symmetrical patterns, or the horns will go back to the key of G.

In my opinion: either embrace the changes or occupy your time with something you enjoy.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I generally watch battery warm ups in the lot. That is the one area they can't mess up too much. It's still kids with sticks and a drum.

As far as synths go..... It will (and is) cripple the creativity of the arrangers and eventually dumb the activity down to the point of being comical. 1991 SCV is a perfect example. HOW COOL was the helicopter effect?!?!?! I can only imagine how hard it must've been to clean that given the fact that they were in different areas of the field..... NOW, would I still remember that or even care about it if it were some kid holding a button? NO. Arrangers used to have to BE CREATIVE and find ways to makes brass, drums and keyboards make the desired sound. Now they don't think. If the wanted sound doesn't sound like brass, drums or a keyboard, sample it and move on.

Edited by seinphan

I'm not sure what you mean by your last sentence, but I'm one who has put DCI completely, totally, and utterly out of my mind - no shows, no DVD's, no CD's, no souvies, no support of any kind.

I haven't been to a DCI show in seven or eight years; don't even know who won this year (or last).

There is no one item that caused me to defect. I simply don't care at all for what DCI has become and what it has done to the activity I grew up in.

This is my first post (I believe) on the DCI section of DCP - and will more than likely be my last. I only posted this because I thought your question was intriguing.

Andy

I haven't paid for a show since "Yowza". What I developed a passion for is no longer what DCI is. Trust me it sucks, I dream about a 70 person G hornline all the time. I went to the Blue Knights booth to check if they had some alumni stuff and all they had were Clarinet and Trombone shirts.

My wife and I still attend a few shows during the summer. Nothing near what we used to do. I will not go into that building in Indy to watch drum corps. I have not purchased a DVD or CD in years. B flats, elecs are whatever to me. DCI lost me with the ticket deal for finals week and by putting what used to be the highlight of the summer in that echo chamber.

Can we say we miss it in this thread? I agree however that the lot is still the lot.

MIKE

I generally watch battery warm ups in the lot. That is the one area they can't mess up too much. It's still kids with sticks and a drum.

As far as synths go..... It will (and is) cripple the creativity of the arrangers and eventually dumb the activity down to the point of being comical. 1991 SCV is a perfect example. HOW COOL was the helicopter effect?!?!?! I can only imagine how hard it must've been to clean that given the fact that they were in different areas of the field..... NOW, would I still remember that or even care about it if it were some kid holding a button? NO. Arrangers used to have to BE CREATIVE and find ways to makes brass, drums and keyboards make the desired sound. Now they don't think. If the wanted sound doesn't sound like brass, drums or a keyboard, sample it and move on.

Is that a 3-mA watch battery? Does your wrist get hot as the watch battery warms? Does the battery eat their "ups" when they're sufficiently warmed?

($1 to Boo)

:angel1:

How many kids can they fit on a drum? Can't they afford more than one drum? Do they pass the drum around so every kid can play on it?

(another $1 to Boo)

"It is crippling, and will continue to cripple, the creativity..."

Fixed. And another $1 to Boo.

Geesh, this thread alone has boosted Boo's retirement plan considerably.

But I did love the helicopter effect in SCV's '91 show, and I still love the memory of that effect to this day!

(Hint: Read Boo's Barney Fife badge; it DOES say "Grammar Police" ) :tongue:

EDIT: Oh, and yes, I am Sheriff Sentence Structure. Boo deputized me. It's official.

Edited by garfield

You are asking about people boycotting DCI......on DCP? You won't find many, but they are here.

Your question might be better posed to an alumni group that can't find former marching members, a group of people at a DCA show, the few people that show up at to the Allentown park to see old friends then go home before the show starts.

I never thought I would stop going to DCI, but I sure as heck stopped even looking at 7 corps souvie booths. I don't by DVDs or CDs, but then again I never did. I look at DCP all the time. I average one show every year or two. What really saddens me is that I have friends that I marched with the have no desire to ever support or watch DCI again. Some have moved on in life, some don't have time, but a few have said they don't like where the activity is going. Sad.

There is one scenario where I could see not totally boycotting DCI if a WW rule is passed, and this would be if a number of corps simply chose not to include them. I would then continue to be interested in what those corps are doing and would simply leave the stadium for the corps that used them, regardless of who they are. I would hope that corps would approach them more like narration, with several opting out of using them yearly, as opposed to amps/electronics, which corps feel they must have every year to remain competitive. We'll see.

However if woodwinds are added to DCI I would no longer find shows entertaining. I hate marching bands. if I wanted to see one I would go to a USSBA competition, and I don't do that so why would I want to do it year-round?

Magic word for me is entertaining. If it isn't worth my money and time to go why bother? Amps I could ignore but hearing the electonic stuff gets in the way of hearing what I came for. Haven't gone for a few years but only 1-2 shows within 2 hour drive anyway. Not boycotting, just don't wanna go...

Don't hate MB but even less inclined to go to a show. DC has spolied me, if a band has 200+ members, where's the volume? :angel1:

Edited by JimF-LowBari