Who is REALLY boycotting DCI?

BX5CM

QUOTE (Lance @ Sep 17 2010, 11:03 PM)

Some of the funniest reviews come from people who hate DCI but continue going to shows.

Sounds like Oakland Raiders football fans, NJ Nets basketball fans, Pittsburgh Pirates baseball fans, Washington State Cougars football fans -- to use Boo's analogy, their teams keep hitting them in the head with a hammer, but they still go with hopes that it will stop someday and they'll feel better.

Precisely.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Many drum corps fans have their "if DCI adds X, I'm pulling my support" statement. It's different for various people... but I wonder how many people are REALLY going to give up this activity so easily?

In my opinion, I think most people on here make a lot of noise about WW's, Amps, and Bb horns...but I wonder how many people are REALLY boycotting DCI completely?? That means no merchandise, no shows, no DVDs, no CDs, no Fan Network, no downloads, no donations to ANY DCI corps, and no tuition sponsorships since your "X" was added to DCI?

Fess up now... and keep in mind that I'm not looking to ridicule anyone, just curious. I think the number is very low. I believe that it speaks to the true power of the activity, that no matter what form it takes and no matter how peeved a certain vocal minority gets about the evolution of the activity, I think 99.9% of the fans stick with it because their love is that deep.

So I put it to you now...who's for real? And please keep in mind that I WILL be looking for anyone who speaks up at every DCI show in the country. :angel1:

I like how you seem to be able to speak for everyone and say their is a vocal MINORITY, yet the poll on adding woodwinds had a tangible number saying almost 4-1 people woulod leave if they add woodwinds. I for one am not a blow hard. I gave amps, bass guitars and the ilk a chance and saw it as an epic fail. I never saw a show this year, didn't buy a souvie and have no plans to buy dvds of corps using 20 tubas with a synth overlaying the same hornline. I left, FOR REAL. I am actually planning on leaving this site as a contributor too. That ones hard to do. I will do it when I get the willpower. But don't think for one minute that people aren't doing it. My question to you is where are all the new people coming from? I don't see an increase in attendance, so people must be walking away.

I really don't think the majority of the audience are dinos, though. Not from what I've seen at the shows I attend.

Uh what does a "dino" look like???

....or C) realize the drum corps are 'mere' marching bands and always have been

This is one of the mantras you like to repeat and repeat and repeat and repeat....... I don't know why, maybe because you think you'll convince someone.

If drum corps are and always were marching bands.....there really would be no point or reason for dci to exist. I just went and watched a pretty good marching band yesterday, the Wisconsin band. They do a "pre show" outside the engineering building an hour before game time. They're good, and fun, and their arrangements are typically tight. Mike Leckrone has been there since the Model T, and he knows his audience and how to give them what they want. And he also gives the band good arrangements that challenge them and give them what they want too.

DCI, to me, has become 100 percent introverted, self conscious, self centered. Art for Arts sake. Ars Gratia Artis and all that. The kind of stuff that in time can only be sustained by public funding, because it doesn't generate sufficient appeal to be self sustaining.

Sounds like Oakland Raiders football fans, NJ Nets basketball fans, Pittsburgh Pirates baseball fans, Washington State Cougars football fans -- to use Boo's analogy, their teams keep hitting them in the head with a hammer, but they still go with hopes that it will stop someday and they'll feel better.

Precisely.

actually not many Pirates fans do go. look at their crowds some days. often times if the opponent is a local team, you will see more of their colors in the stands. When the phils come to town, you see more Red than Black and Gold. A lot more.

Good-I haven't seen any of those at drum corps shows. :tongue: Only veterans and fans....

I would hope that most people who do walk away would have very little to say in DCP's forum devoted to DCI World Class Corps.

What a boredom fest this forum would become if that did happen.

actually not many Pirates fans do go. look at their crowds some days. often times if the opponent is a local team, you will see more of their colors in the stands. When the phils come to town, you see more Red than Black and Gold. A lot more.

Cleveland is last (30th) in pure numbers and percent capacity.

Pittsburg is 25th, and still 20% better than Cleveland.

And with LeBron gone, and the Browns horrible...wow...dark ages for me again.

Yes, I boycott when the product is bad. I've been to one Indians game this year, but only because Stephen Strasburg was pitching against them, lol.

DCI has been "OK" since 2007. Before that, I might have gone to about 5 shows from 1997 - 2005, finals only once, 2004.

I wouldn't boycott over WWs though...In fact, I'd be more likely to go, to hear something different and still so excellent.

Sorry MikeD but I have to fundmaentally disagree with you on this one... The very definition of what differntiates drum corps and marching band IS the instrumentation (read... Drum and BUGLE Corps... not Drum and Bugle/Trombone/Saxaphone/Flute/Clarinet and Bass Guitar Corps)... I have seen many a marching band that wpuld be able to hold their own perfectly well in a DCI or DCA contest. The likes of Avon HS, Broken Arrow HS, Marion Catholic etc etc would all fare perfectly well in a DCI contest if judged like for like. So sorry Mike, I dont buy into all this rubbish about "performance levels" being the difference.

Now I would not have a problem with DCI and MBA merging or for DCI to have a "Marching Band Division" per se, but to call a marching band a drum corps or vice versa is simply wrong. Apples and oranges are both fruit, I love them both, they are both good for me and provide me plenty of vitamins and nutrients, but they are also completely different to each other.

Nope..they are not 'completely different' at all, at least the competitive corps-style bands and DCI drum corps. Outside of the things mentioned, they are exactly the same.

Drum and BUGLE corps? There are more than 'drums' in the percussion; brass hasn't been true bugles in decades. Guards don't guard anything. They are just historic names. Those top BOA bands would hold their own at some DCI shows, but there are thousands of competitive bands that range from BOA finalist to just dabbling in competition. Performance levels are very different for the reasons posted.