What the fans want...2011

I want a Plan10 for DCP and a PlanB for DCI.

"You can't handle Plan10! The truth is...you want me on that wall....you need me on that wall!!! (parden me, I seem to be channeling Nicholson and Reiner)......nevermind!

P.S. BTW, DCI already has a PlanBD! :devil:

Edited by Plan9

I'd like for people to chill about the whole woodwind thing. I don't think it's gonna happen.

On the (separate) subject of orchestral volume, the difference in acoustics of the performance venues between drum corps and orchestra is just night and day. Physics people. Didn't you pay attention in school? Also, if you've ever heard a corps in an auditorium or gym, you know that it is MUCH louder than when they are outside.

Now for the actual thread.

I'd love to hear BD play some music. They are being experimental in their approach, which is cool, but I like music. A lot of people like music. Please play something maybe a little more accessible than last year. You guys are champions, celebrate with a cool show.

I'd like to see cool stuff like what Madison did this year. Keepin it real. Just tidy it up around the edges.

Wouldn't it be cool if the Crossmen could come back to Finalist status? I hope they can find a staff set that can click enough to get the corps back up there. I'd like that.

And what I'd like most to happen next summer is to have a fun age out. It's been a long run, and I'd like to go out with a killer summer. :devil:

I want BD to keep making haters cry, and to rock next year.

I want The Cadets to come out with a bold, new approach to their show design, and take risks even if they don't happen to work out.

I want Crown to go for an aggressive visual design to complement their amazing brass.

I want Jim Prime to arrange a lot.

"What the fans want" will NEVER become a relevant factor until/when/if "the fans" play ANY significant part in the adjudication of a corps contest.........and frankly, I don't see how that could happen.

I want any & all show ideas, designs and/or concepts to be PERSONALLY CLEARED by Tony Signorelli.

"What the fans want" will NEVER become a relevant factor until/when/if "the fans" play ANY significant part in the adjudication of a corps contest.........and frankly, I don't see how that could happen.

lol Las Vegas 2009 had fan voting. Not exactly what I think you have in mind, but it certainly implemented the fans into some sort of ranking process.

And essentially you're right. The fans don't have an obviously direct impact on any contest outcome. Though indirectly, I believe that fans and their general opinions do impact the activity indirectly in many ways. Is it quantifiable? maybe not... but I still believe that fans have some impact.

I want any & all show ideas, designs and/or concepts to be PERSONALLY CLEARED by Tony Signorelli.

THIS!!! :devil::lol::lol::lol::thumbup::shutup::laughing:

Thanks Rich! LOL

Hope you are having a great day! Call me bud! :laughing:

Edited by Big Bad Bari

I think you mistook a rehearsal for a show. I've never been to a drum corps show with "empty" stands. Heck the one all OC show I went to a few years ago had a crowd that filled at least 80% of the seating area.

I think what he was alluding to is there is just not a high volume of spectators like there have been in the past.

Usual arguments apply.

Bbs are fine

Hard drill is fine, good even. It just can't get in the way.

I wanna hear good music, like, with connected phrases. It doesn't have to be a tune I already know, or something easily recognlizable, but it has to be something with more than one short phrase at a time separated by long pit and drum doodles. Drum features are cool, but they shouldn't be mixed in evenly with stuff. I wanna hear complete phrases connected together musically with loud moments where needed, but not forced. I want to hear less synth being used as a crutch, but sound effects, I have no problem with. I wanna see demanding drill AND demanding music. It is indeed possible to make it engaging at the same time! There are elements of old era and new era in there... Basically

Old:

Pros-

complete music. No broken up sliced and diced arrangements. Much appreciated.

shows that may have connected themes, or things the music has in common, it doesnt have to have a complicated story. Though, I have no problem with complicated stories if I can enjoy the program with or without it.

cons-

tone quality sacrificed for volume. Only play as loud as you can with a good sound, which is pretty dang loud, you just have to inch it up and work on it instead of blowing your chops out.'

intonation was pretty terrible usually

Balance.... tons of stickouts in the days of old

I know we can blame technology and recordings for some of this, but you old timers know it happened more than you want to say.

drill wasn't engaging. The point of drum corps is engaging music AND visual. If you don't have both, go borrow some of BD's chairs and hang out in a concert hall.

Way too many "forced" loud moments. like they just tried to stick as many impacts in as they could. I feel like they're desperately begging for crowd reaction rather than earning it with their program.

New:

Pros-

Generally better music education. You hear tone quality, balance, and generally good ensemble practices. They're teaching you to be brass players

Better drill (with some corps)

Better attention to detail in technique uniformity

Much more demand placed on the performers

performed at a higher level

84 man hornlines? I think yes.

Cons-

over narration. Like, one or two words here or there is okay, but I don't wanna hear your lifes story... or a talk show... or YOWZA

electronic crutches. No need for low end synth. I understand if it is like a drone for mood, and the hornline isn't playing or something, or it is while they are playing pp and build and you can tell it is a low end synth, but at an impact, I want a natural horn sound. Please. BD seemed like the were doubling the whole chord sometimes this past year.

Chopped up arrangements. Nothing makes me angrier, than chopped up musical arrangement. There are some people who don't do this, but the majority of DCI are often culprits of this.

too many props. I understand one or two things, but Blue Stars 09's entire half field full of sewing machines, or BD's chairs and mirrors, just makes the field look dirty.

Get rid of all those cons, and combine the pros, and you have what I would like to see in 2011.