What the fans want...2011

Bbs are fine

Hard drill is fine, good even. It just can't get in the way.

I wanna hear good music, like, with connected phrases. It doesn't have to be a tune I already know, or something easily recognlizable, but it has to be something with more than one short phrase at a time separated by long pit and drum doodles. Drum features are cool, but they shouldn't be mixed in evenly with stuff. I wanna hear complete phrases connected together musically with loud moments where needed, but not forced. I want to hear less synth being used as a crutch, but sound effects, I have no problem with. I wanna see demanding drill AND demanding music. It is indeed possible to make it engaging at the same time! There are elements of old era and new era in there... Basically

Old:

Pros-

complete music. No broken up sliced and diced arrangements. Much appreciated.

shows that may have connected themes, or things the music has in common, it doesnt have to have a complicated story. Though, I have no problem with complicated stories if I can enjoy the program with or without it.

cons-

tone quality sacrificed for volume. Only play as loud as you can with a good sound, which is pretty dang loud, you just have to inch it up and work on it instead of blowing your chops out.'

intonation was pretty terrible usually

Balance.... tons of stickouts in the days of old

I know we can blame technology and recordings for some of this, but you old timers know it happened more than you want to say.

drill wasn't engaging. The point of drum corps is engaging music AND visual. If you don't have both, go borrow some of BD's chairs and hang out in a concert hall.

Way too many "forced" loud moments. like they just tried to stick as many impacts in as they could. I feel like they're desperately begging for crowd reaction rather than earning it with their program.

New:

Pros-

Generally better music education. You hear tone quality, balance, and generally good ensemble practices. They're teaching you to be brass players

Better drill (with some corps)

Better attention to detail in technique uniformity

Much more demand placed on the performers

performed at a higher level

84 man hornlines? I think yes.

Cons-

over narration. Like, one or two words here or there is okay, but I don't wanna hear your lifes story... or a talk show... or YOWZA

electronic crutches. No need for low end synth. I understand if it is like a drone for mood, and the hornline isn't playing or something, or it is while they are playing pp and build and you can tell it is a low end synth, but at an impact, I want a natural horn sound. Please. BD seemed like the were doubling the whole chord sometimes this past year.

Chopped up arrangements. Nothing makes me angrier, than chopped up musical arrangement. There are some people who don't do this, but the majority of DCI are often culprits of this.

too many props. I understand one or two things, but Blue Stars 09's entire half field full of sewing machines, or BD's chairs and mirrors, just makes the field look dirty.

Get rid of all those cons, and combine the pros, and you have what I would like to see in 2011.

• 3 weeks later...
I think what he was alluding to is there is just not a high volume of spectators like there have been in the past.

Usual arguments apply.

I think this last year made a move for the better. I saw more people this last year than I had in awhile. Finals I predict in 2011 will have more people than ever in Indy. Exactly what I think that DCI needs is alot more support from us the fans, especially Finals weekend. The kids I am sure would love to see us all at Finals also.

Chopped up arrangements. Nothing makes me angrier, than chopped up musical arrangement. There are some people who don't do this, but the majority of DCI are often culprits of this.

PHEW. Sometimes I think, by how positively people react to certain shows, that they actually enjoy this kind of musical arrangement. I won't point any fingers2009troopers, but this was quite a refreshing read, especially as an aspiring marching music arranger/composer.

Here we go, let it all out and maybe someone will pick up on this. We all pay to see this, hopefully the powers that be will listen.

I would like to see somebody do a show to honer George Bonfiglio. An icon in our activity.

MORE CYMBAL LINES

MORE CYMBAL LINES

I can tell you that I feel your pain. I really do. Your thread is almost the exact same one that was brought up a few years ago when another Corps dropped there plate line and it shook up a whole bunch of alums in that Corps. Keep pushing your agenda, never give up and just be glad that at least there are Corps out there keeping the cymbal line tradition alive and kicking. The powers that be DO read these threads and if you want something to happen then make a stand and get on it. Plate lines are a special breed, keep pushing for what you want. Never give up, you never know what can happen in Drum Corps.

Edited by thirdcoast

-all synths, amps, mikes, and electronics of any sort to spontaneously combust

-shows that make sense

-less props

-focus on pleasing fans, not judges

-cymbal lines!

-at least semi-recognizable arrangements

That's about all I can think of at the moment.........

-all synths, amps, mikes, and electronics of any sort to spontaneously combust

-shows that make sense

-less props

-focus on pleasing fans, not judges

-cymbal lines!

-at least semi-recognizable arrangements

That's about all I can think of at the moment.........

I have to agree with you here except your first point.

shows that make sence, some do some dont thats just Drum Corps

less props- there are some Corps that are just making a mockery out of our activity with all the stuff on the field, maybe they are trying to hide behind them. Way to much stuff. IMOH

I think most Corps want to please the fans, some just dont get it though. Out of 23 Corps most are at least trying to be pleasing to the fans and some just are trying to prove a point, this I think will change next season. I hope.

Cymbal lines, seems like an issue to some. I just am glad that they are still on the field in some Corps. They sure give Corps that have them an advantage in this fans eyes.

Arrangements I am with you here, I as a paying customer to an activity I love ,dont want to have to think or struggle to get the idea of certain songs. Just give it to me straight and to the point, make me love it so much that I will pay to see it agian not struggle to find the tune I paid to here and see live. It seems arrangers are trying to mask the songs in some Corps thinking that that is what I want, dont know about anybody else but if I pay to here Danny Boy thats what I want to here not just a blip of it. Alot of arrangers need to know that I as a fan do not want to work at things I do on my free time, and I really do not want to pay for something that I have to work to enjoy.

Now to your first point- I am cool with all of it. I just cant wait till someone goes full tilt with it, over the top. Thats what I want to see. Its coming and I will be there when it does ,full blown in your face to a point that others are just annoyed and cant believe that it was taken to that point. Thats what I want , a must see product.

Edited by thirdcoast

First, none of us know what "the fans" want.

We know perhaps, what each of us and a few friends and acquaintances want.

We more than likely know more about what we don't want.

Here's what I want. On Thursday, at finals...with the entire day of drum corps competitions...I want an empty stadium except for me.

That's what I want. Is it practical? Is it affordable? Nope. But, in 2011, that's what I want.

And it's no more crazy than some of the other thoughts on this topic.