Would you walk away if DCI shows were like in the 80s and 90s

Lance

Would you walk away if DCI looked like it did in the 80s and 90s  

256 members have voted

1. 1. ?

• Yes, I would walk away if DCI reverted to 80s/90s type shows
    • No, I would not walk away if DCI reverted to 80s/90s type shows

i'll gladly disagree with you. too many people were just as invested and walked away already because changes to the product lessened their enjoyment

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I assume there are people that have "walked" away. So you say when a change occurred they just suddenly stopped going to shows or watching that year's content? Was it gradual or instant? I am also assuming that people dropped out during different periods. Some when pits were grounded up front, the change to Bb, the amplification, bla bla bla....these people really stopped caring about the "product," because of what was produced in an 11 minute show? That 1 change, or series of changes so drastically ruined the experience for them, that everything previously invested into it, was dropped? Or are we just talking about people attending "live" shows inside a football stadium? The "common" attendee?

Maybe another class of competition... based on shows that target only the elements necessary back in the late 70's, 80's and 90's? And NO, I'm not talking about the "tic" system... but maybe I am. :thumbup:

Maybe giving corps a chance to compete in a class that isn't always "chasing" the metrics of judging today would be a possibility. I know, I know... that's what the difference between World Class and Open Class is SUPPOSED to be, but it isn't always. The scoring system is imbalanced at best... so complex it's mind-numbing. Strip it down, relax it somewhat, return to show concepts that are fan appreciated and the technical requirements aren't so tough to meet, and you may indeed see more corps that are "awesome" but in different approaches ... not so many kids wanting to go to the same 5 corps to march in every year... no need for a "G-7" monopoly... and a lot more happy fans.

Might not happen, though, both because it would be hard to splinter off like that, and most fans IMO would go with the entertainment versus the complexity. Couldn't have that, now, could we??

I assume there are people that have "walked" away. So you say when a change occurred they just suddenly stopped going to shows or watching that year's content? Was it gradual or instant? I am also assuming that people dropped out during different periods. Some when pits were grounded up front, the change to Bb, the amplification, bla bla bla....these people really stopped caring about the "product," because of what was produced in an 11 minute show? That 1 change, or series of changes so drastically ruined the experience for them, that everything previously invested into it, was dropped? Or are we just talking about people attending "live" shows inside a football stadium? The "common" attendee?

it was gradual for years, and has been more pronounced in the last 2-3 years. pits and the change to Bb changed little in terms of fans being around. show design, and more recently the addition of electronics have been the culprits most discussed.

and yes people stopped caring because they paid a lot of money to no longer be entertained.

let me ask you...do you pay a lot of money to see things that don't entertain you?

No, I do not. The people that walk away, do they drop all ties, or do they still maintain relationships through teaching, or even a minor interest in what's going? I guess if they were never previously invested, just casual fans, I could see them turn away. And have you turned away from "DCI?" If so, why? If not, why?

No, I do not. The people that walk away, do they drop all ties, or do they still maintain relationships through teaching, or even a minor interest in what's going? I guess if they were never previously invested, just casual fans, I could see them turn away. And have you turned away from "DCI?" If so, why? If not, why?

For me it was a combination of shows becoming less interesting from what was on the field and changes to my life. Also less shows in the area as I couldn't follow the corps like I used to. LOL, was working 3 weekends a month which killed going to most shows anyway.

Let me put it this way and let me know if you have any questions:

When I was gung ho on corps I was in high school and college, lived at home, no job, no spouse.

When I walked away I was working, married, had a house and just been pegged to be on church council. I left in the middle of a show thinking that corps shows had left me behind as I wasn't thrilled by them like I used to be. Also thought that my priorities in life had changed so time to move on.

I used to think I'd follow DC the rest of the life, then life and Drum Corps changed. I just had to experience it to realize it.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Lets keep in mind that while this forum's member ship might not walk, the same could not be said about high schools.

Band directors in the 80's and 90's were not as supportive of drum corps. Now they bring kids to shows by the bus loads. They may not buy as many t-shirts as Joe Eighties-Fan, but they are the future marching members.

Colleges were also more against the effect the "Drum corps sound" had on their students chops. It was common to see college profs pressuring students to not march.

Sorry if am repeating someone as I didn't read the entire thread but the only differences I see are Marching tempo's, Lack of music development, and story telling.

Combine the two and you have a winning combination.

In order to do this all you have to do is a minute to each show!

1. I would take the music from the 80's all day over today. Snippets of music (IMO) has impacted attendance.

2. The drill from the 80's cannot touch the drill done today.

3. Back in the day only a few corps, Phantom being one, made attempts at telling a story. Today it's common place. That has made DCI better.

All I'm asking for is better music books. Brass books are lame, boring and easy. 80's/90's saw some awesome brass books, and also some great drill that complimented the music. Right now the visual demands are effecting the music way too much... like crown's effort to have a spread 20 to 20 most of the show... they suffered all season with ensemble tears, and the brass score wasn't as good as it should be because you could hear all the dirt between players. (I heard it from the stands... I'm sure on the field they were hearing a lot more). And that is just one example. I feel like drill velocity and demand has been about the same since the early 90's. I just feel like the drill back when was designed to fit the music, not designed at the same time or everything in the music was made to fit a visual idea.

Go back to musically driven shows, keep excellence of today.... and oh yeah.. LET YOUR HORN LINES PLAY! Stop being #######. Let them loose then refine it. Not inflate dynamics each week. It's okay to sound like balls at the beginning of the season.

Oh and I would not walk away, obviously.

Edit: early 90's is where I think drill became awesome... even late 80's it was still kind of dull.

Edited by kickhaltsforlife