Would you walk away if DCI shows were like in the 80s and 90s

Lance

Would you walk away if DCI looked like it did in the 80s and 90s  

256 members have voted

1. 1. ?

• Yes, I would walk away if DCI reverted to 80s/90s type shows
    • No, I would not walk away if DCI reverted to 80s/90s type shows

I know what the names of the tunes are. but there is so much wind ensemble stuff, and to be honest, the real issue is arranging style.

It's fine if you don't like the music, but to say that there is not much variety is a factually based statement, and a false one.

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not saying that there was a time period where drum corps were identical in style, I'm saying that certain traditionalists (not you, since I didn't say you were) would want that. They do exist, maybe you just haven't met them.

I've been around a long time. I 've met thousands of fans, marchers, people with dfferent points of view, etc but you are the first person that has told me that they've met "traditionalists" that want all their Corps styles, to be " identical ". Again, we've never had an ea such as this, ie where all the shows, Corps styles, etc are " identical ", so anybody that claims they want all their Corps to be "identical ", is not a " traditionalist " as we've never had such an era since the end of WW 1 ( 1920's ) at least.

Since this topic is about shows from " the 80's and 90's " anybody that was around for the shows back then, knows that the Corps styles, shows were anything but " identical ".... and the 70's shows and styles were even MORE diverse in styles, ie Kingsmen, Muchachos, Kilties, Troopers, Bridgemen, Velvet Knights, 27th Lancers, Boston, CMCC Warriors, Les Chapelaines, etc than the era of 2000. There is no true " traditionalist " alive that thinks these Corps fom these eras were all " identical ". They were far from it.

Edited by BRASSO

I've been around a long time. I 've met thousands of fans, marchers, people with dfferent points of view, etc but you are the first person that has told me that they've met "traditionalists" that want all their Corps styles, to be " identical ". Again, we've never had an ea such as this, ie where all the shows, Corps styles, etc are " identical ", so anybody that claims they want all their Corps to be "identical ", is not a " traditionalist " as we've never had such an era since the end of WW 2 at least.

I never said there was an era where the corps were "identical" in style. Homogenized, maybe, but that's not my point. Maybe identical is not the word I want to use, and we seem stuck on that for some reason, but you're smart. You know what I'm getting at.

I never said there was an era where the corps were "identical" in style. Homogenized, maybe, but that's not my point. Maybe identical is not the word I want to use, and we seem stuck on that for some reason, but you're smart. You know what I'm getting at.

Words mean something. I can't possibly be expected to understand what you think, if your words don't match your belief. If you made a mistake, and want to retrack your thinking, then simply do so. Then we'll know what you think more precisely without any confusion for either yourself or the reader.

Corps were not " homogenized " in the 60's, 70's, either. The CMCC Warriors would never be confused with the Garfield Cadets, nor the De LaSalle Oaklands with the Hawthorne Muchachos, or the the Caspar Troopers, with the Velvet Knights, Blessed Sacrament, Bronx Kingsmen, SC Vanguard,, Boston, Kilties, St. Ignatius All Girl, or Madison Scouts,,and so forth. There was much " diversity ". Nothing was " homogenized " or " identical " in style, scope, shows, etc....... AT ALL. These Corps were VASTLY different from one another in style.

Edited by BRASSO

How come we keep having these polls that are susposed to tell us how much we are susposed to like woodwinds, and not want to go back to the way things were before all the PA advantages, yet the numbers keep saying otherwise? By very large margins. Then the minority come on saying that the numbers can't be right? Interesting observations.

How come we keep having these polls that are susposed to tell us how much we are susposed to like woodwinds, and not want to go back to the way things were before all the PA advantages, yet the numbers keep saying otherwise? By very large margins. Then the minority come on saying that the numbers can't be right? Interesting observations.

Win +1

These are the same people that have a zillion posts espousing their supposedly superior intelligence regarding music on how much they think they know vs you. The funny thing about art is that it's pretty #### subjective (psst successful art is usually just liked by most for no other reason than they like it or don't). These people, of course, are the same people that failed to read or glean any wisdom from "The Emperors New Clothes" from grade school.

once again, you are saying things no one wants to happen...No one wants all drum corps to be identical in style. Drum corps styles in the new decade have been way more similar than it was in the 80's.

name a top 20 corps in the 80's that was the same in style as another corps. Bd=SCV? nope. Phantom with anyone? nope. Garfield? Suncoast? Star? Madison? VK? 27? Bridgemen? Spirit? Crossmen?

I would argue that SCV=BD this year was way more similar stylistically then ever before...

Bluecoats stylistically were trying to be like BD...they just did it with a more entertaining style. (yes, before you blow a gasket...imho)

Both Colts and Cadets had an annoying child personae running around the field.

The one corp that was stylistically different from everyone this year?

that's right...the crowd-pleasing, dino appeasing show....the Madison Scouts.

Were all the people in the audiance dino era too? NO! They were simply entertained and showed their appreciation by standing ovations. Performances which invoke these types of reactions from the fans will increase fan attendence.

I think that if you look at your own quote in your signature, you'll be able to conclude that it's possible to like both 80s/90s and today's shows at the same time.

Win +1

These are the same people that have a zillion posts espousing their supposedly superior intelligence regarding music on how much they think they know vs you. The funny thing about art is that it's pretty #### subjective (psst successful art is usually just liked by most for no other reason than they like it or don't). These people, of course, are the same people that failed to read or glean any wisdom from "The Emperors New Clothes" from grade school.

It's funny that you should say that.