Would you walk away if DCI shows were like in the 80s and 90s

Lance

Would you walk away if DCI looked like it did in the 80s and 90s  

256 members have voted

1. 1. ?

• Yes, I would walk away if DCI reverted to 80s/90s type shows
    • No, I would not walk away if DCI reverted to 80s/90s type shows

ah you laugh. yet i was one of the first to post as close to an actual number on finals attendance as DCi will release.

and if attendance was so great, we'd have heard 08 and 09 numbers by now. after all, when they took over the DCM shows, they couldnt wait to crow about how attendance rose...no, they just had control over shows they didnt before. then the following year, we got attendance rose at "like events".

I'm laughing because you, like everyone else on the planet, find statistics that fit your preexisting opinion. I can find some statistics that support DCI growth, as I'm sure you could find otherwise.

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm laughing because you, like everyone else on the planet, find statistics that fit your preexisting opinion. I can find some statistics that support DCI growth, as I'm sure you could find otherwise.

please, show me growth stats. attendance is down. the number of corps is down. very few corps were full which means number of marchers is down.

so, please, show me some growth, especially since in that DCW interview, the leaders of DCI are even admitting as much.

I marched in the 60s. I have a music background, but not a professional music background. I was away from the activity throughout the 70 - 90s and returned in the 2000s. I have watched shows live 2005 - present. I only listen to shows recorded in the 70s - 90s. The last DCI Finals recording I liked was 1999. And yes, I have purchased CDs from several finals in subsequent years. Not worth the money, or listening to (Spartacus may be the exception, although it was chopped).

It's not the marching that's the problem, it's the music selection (and my favorite music is classical music). Snippets of melody, stand -and - blast chords don't do it for me. I'm saving my money from now on by NOT attending DCI shows. Let me know if and when they go retro (haha). Too bad, DCI; I'm just the kind of fan you'd want in the stands. I loved drum corps and I can afford any reasonable ticket, and could donate to a corps I liked. This is just marching band with dancing.

BD: What a waste of fantastic musicians.

I think I'll watch DCA shows from now on. Did anyone catch Empire Statesmen this year?

I marched in the 60s. I have a music background, but not a professional music background. I was away from the activity throughout the 70 - 90s and returned in the 2000s. I have watched shows live 2005 - present. I only listen to shows recorded in the 70s - 90s. The last DCI Finals recording I liked was 1999. And yes, I have purchased CDs from several finals in subsequent years. Not worth the money, or listening to (Spartacus may be the exception, although it was chopped).

It's not the marching that's the problem, it's the music selection (and my favorite music is classical music). Snippets of melody, stand -and - blast chords don't do it for me. I'm saving my money from now on by NOT attending DCI shows. Let me know if and when they go retro (haha). Too bad, DCI; I'm just the kind of fan you'd want in the stands. I loved drum corps and I can afford any reasonable ticket, and could donate to a corps I liked. This is just marching band with dancing.

BD: What a waste of fantastic musicians.

I think I'll watch DCA shows from now on. Did anyone catch Empire Statesmen this year?

loved em. good observation

I don't believe kids today would want to march a show that "catered to the purist and offered more traditional rules and such". That is why no one has stepped up to the plate with that type of idea. It would be money washed down the drain on unis, equiptment, etc. As it is now the majority of people involved with drum corps don't have the funds to start to many, to barely any, new corps. The initial investment is huge. In these financially hard times, very few people would be willing to take such a potentially suicidal risk IMO.

You make a good point, and that's sad, although I would think (and hope) there would be kids that would jump at the chance to march with a local corps, and not have to go from OK to PA every other weekend, and pay out the wazoo for the privilege, to march a show that makes the people in the stands scratch their heads and say, "huh?".

So, I guess that we'll be left with 15-20 corps in DCI in a few years, marching shows that nobody understands, and looking like some of the BOA bands; no drumline, just pit and a drum machine, with "Yanni," "John Tesh," and "Eric Clapton" on the back sideline playing the music, with the horns and guard flitting around the field doing ballet moves while carrying their horns, playing only every once in a while so they can still be called a "drum corps." :laughing:

Oh, well.

Edited by davidp

This I, too, would like to see.

And please stop generalizing. It's becoming boring to EVERYONE. (See what I did there?)

Edited by garfield

actually, my opinion is based on facts and figures, all of which you try to poo-poo away with more rhetoric

Um...no, it's not. It's just you stating your opinions and masquerading them as 'fact'...Nothing more. I poo-poo them because I disagree with almost all of your opinions regarding junior corps...those are my opinions. Nothing more.

I would love if dci shows were like the 80's and 90's... Maybe some 70s shows too :P

a few people? can i have what you're drinking?

Yes, a few...as always. Not drinking anything.

and yes there was a presentation. per Tim Kviz I believe reception was anywhere from polite, to condescending to quietly mocking.

I was thinking of the presentation of the survey, but OK. His proposal got more of a hearing than it deserved, IMO.

and if fans liked what they see and heard Mike, why are they leaving?

Even if attendance IS down, and that is speculation on your part based on nothing, you have NO way of knowing any of the reasons...IMO the economy is the primary drag on attendance.

I see smaller crowds. and like any change, it takes time for people to see if it's going to be good or not. and gee, look at after 07...wait you can't, they won't release the bad news.

I see good sized crowd, and I read about them from around the country. In this economy, IMO it's pretty decent. Regarding 08 and later...so what? I bet attendance IS down a bit in this economy. I'd be surprised it it wasn't, actually.