Would you walk away if DCI shows were like in the 80s and 90s

Lance

Would you walk away if DCI looked like it did in the 80s and 90s  

256 members have voted

1. 1. ?

• Yes, I would walk away if DCI reverted to 80s/90s type shows
    • No, I would not walk away if DCI reverted to 80s/90s type shows

You make a good point, and that's sad, although I would think (and hope) there would be kids that would jump at the chance to march with a local corps, and not have to go from OK to PA every other weekend, and pay out the wazoo for the privilege, to march a show that makes the people in the stands scratch their heads and say, "huh?".

Kids from OK don't go to PA 'every other weekend'. There are a few camps through the winter and then move in for the spring/summer. As for the cost...it's a great value for the dollar, as compared to just about any activity of a similar level and duration. Look at the costs of a music camp like Interlochen...it is 3 or 4 times the cost of marching a WC corps.

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Um...no, it's not. It's just you stating your opinions and masquerading them as 'fact'...Nothing more. I poo-poo them because I disagree with almost all of your opinions regarding junior corps...those are my opinions. Nothing more.

ok Mike. the number of corps is down. the number of fans is down. the directors themselves say they aren't making money.

so where's the growth?

Yes, a few...as always. Not drinking anything.

I was thinking of the presentation of the survey, but OK. His proposal got more of a hearing than it deserved, IMO.

Even if attendance IS down, and that is speculation on your part based on nothing, you have NO way of knowing any of the reasons...IMO the economy is the primary drag on attendance.

maybe it wasn't Tim back in 04...I may have his confused with the one that was spawned from the online version several of us did. I did hear he was pretty much ignored...some politely, some less polite. was it Steph or Lancerlady maybe?

and while I agree the economy is a factor, the economy wasn't in the dumps in 2008 Mike.

I see good sized crowd, and I read about them from around the country. In this economy, IMO it's pretty decent. Regarding 08 and later...so what? I bet attendance IS down a bit in this economy. I'd be surprised it it wasn't, actually.

I see a local show this year smaller than last and Allentown smaller than last. finals up a touch...maybe.

but even you can't dent fan satisfaction is and has been growing with the product. Well you'll try, but you'll be ignoring a large fact

Bottom line, when it comes down to it, I think a show like, say, Troopers 1989 is a better show than most that I've seen live the past 5 years.

Which is kinda sad.

loved em. good observation

Agreed on ES show (and I don't like props) and observation.

As an aside, my wife never did corps but does enjoy having the muisc on in house. Hell the radio and stereo gets more use than the TV with it's way too many channels. So what does the not too knowledgable but still a music fan enjoy on the field? If not something she knows, then at least something she can at least follow the melody. LOL, Empires show she was really enjoying but at times I could see the "Huh" look. Then I'd chime in "That's from The Wiz". :laughing: Important thing was she was enjoying what ever it was.

Just an not so off-topic from the general publics side of things. Corps playing non-snippets like 80s/90s did help enjoyment of the show for many.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

I keep hearing it is the economy. Really. That is the only reason? Most of us dinos still have money and have chosen to use it elswhere. I gave new drum corps synths a chance and hated every horn doubling show, so my attedance was zero last year, yet my personal economy was up. RESPUTE that please. Tell me how I must be mistaken.

I would COME BACK if shows were 80's/90's type shows. I left awhile back.

If you have to have a premise, complete with "liner notes", it doesn't need to go on the field.

I take NOTHING away from the kids today. What they do is absolutely amazing. What I have issue with are the adults who have led the kids down this path.