• 1971-1975
    • 1976-1980
    • 1981-1985
    • 1986-1990
    • 1991-1995
    • 1996-2000
    • 2001-2005
    • 2006-2010

I was hijacked at 14 during a recruiting raid!!!!!!! I had no clue what drum corps was. They showed some vids, we played for them if we were interested in trying out ...... they came back in May and I went to one camp and then was on the road after that. I had no clue. Did I already say that? 3rd greatest summer of my life. That was 1985 fall .. marched 1986-1990 (skipped my last 2 years).

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I became a fan after being exposed to DCI my freshman year of high school (2006), :spitting: where I saw MACHINE by the Cavaliers, and Faust by Phantom Regiment, I thought it was the coolest thing ever and only dreamed of being in a drum corps

Well, dream come true

Blue Stars '10 - Trumpet

:spitting:

haha

Edited by JF154283

I became a fan after being exposed to DCI my freshman year of high school (2006), :spitting: where I saw MACHINE by the Cavaliers, and Faust by Phantom Regiment, I thought it was the coolest thing ever and only dreamed of being in a drum corps

Well, dream come true

Blue Stars '10 - Trumpet

:spitting:

haha

Congrats on a great season.... I hope you still have a few more years to march! How far back have you researched the history of drum corps?

You do realize that DCI didn't exist during your first three choices right? Therefore, the poll is immediately flawed. For those of us who existed before DCI, we didn't join it, it intruded on us.

Nah... that mean you didn't exist Frank. :spitting: Or it really wasn't Drum Corps.... or sumthin'

I was 14 years old in 1969 when I started with the Bridgemen started DCI the first year 1972 to 1976.

First marched 1972...I was 10. Stayed with the neighborhood corps until they folded after a merger in 1981. Marched DCI 1982 and 1983.

Edited by srsadersnare

When did you first march and/or get into DCI

As a kid we lived across the street from Manning Bowl (showing my age here...) and from our 2nd floor porch I could see over the front gate wall so I got to see a LOT of Drum Corps. Watching since I was around 5 and marched since I was 9. (B'day is in Aug so started the 63 season at 9 ended that season at 10)

All of this is in my sig... Local all male Corps from Lynn 63-68, BAC 69 then went to an RCA "Sr. Corps" at 16 (for any that might not know because this was a L O N G time ago...LOL The Red Carpet Association - "RCA" was a smaller (than DCA) Sr Corps circuit) So I never marched in DCI. I still had a few years (from DCI's beginnings in 72) I could have marched before aging out but have no regrets I stayed in Sr (now "All Age") Corps.

Congrats on a great season.... I hope you still have a few more years to march! How far back have you researched the history of drum corps?

not terribly far back, I've seen and heard corps from a lot of different times, but I still have a lot to find out

I generally have heard and seen shows from a few different eras, mainly from the ones I liked

'86-'91

'99-'03

'06-'10

The earliest show being Star, the latest being well, us and other corps

Edited by JF154283

My experience was actually backwards than it should have been. I marched DCI first and THEN got into it. I mean don't get me wrong, I sort of knew what it was (and by sort of knew, I mean "summer marching band", so OK in reality, No, I did not know what it was) from seeing 2001 Finals on PBS. It was something I sort of discounted throughout high school because:

a) I wasn't very good, and

b) I got put on a new instrument, see a), and

c) I thought "I have other stuff I want to do in the summer.

Welp, fast forward 3 years later and I had my first summer with the Crossmen (2004) and never looked back. Best decision I ever made was to suck it up and audition!