What The Fans Don't Want in 2011

SFZFAN

there is a whole segment out there of former memmbers they've already lost that arent even my age. Shame, that's the group to help weather the storm like my era did in the 90's.

I'm sure DCI wants them as well as the younger band crowd. However, with fewer corps in each decade, that available segment shrinks ever smaller. DCI is doing the proper thing in aiming most of it's efforts at the scholastic kids in HS and college.

At least you're honest that bands are the ultimate future replacement of Drum Corps. ( still kinda sad, though)

It's hard to disagree with you after watching the road we're on. Some ( as I'm sure you're aware ) believe we've already arrived at our ultimate destination as " marching band ".

I think it's great...not sad, as many thousands of kids get to march and compete, far more than ever did in drum corps, inc pre-DCI.

still going with whining little brats who hate on corps religiously.

who would've guessed they'd run rampant in this thread. lol.

never had an issue with people in the stands which leads me to believe it's mostly an internet thing.

We, the 9 of us (1 male, 8 females:-) were in the stands finals 2010 and had minimal, miniscule, teeny-weeny issues. The only thing that irked us was when someone asked if we were the Audubon Bon-Bons! oh my! The ladies I was with looked straight ahead with a "Who?" look in their eyes and 'cause the next corps was up and ready to go. It was a blip in time but I did a silent roll-eyes :smile:

Other than that, Debbie's pretzel was under cooked after she waited in a long lineup. If they served Brats on a Bun, I'd be in that lineup too. Good thing I had my granola bar; didn't want to miss a beat :thumbup:

I think it's great...not sad, as many thousands of kids get to march and compete, far more than ever did in drum corps, inc pre-DCI.

You're a good poster, MikeD but you're using " fuzzy math " if you believe that there are more marchers today than in " pre DCI ". For example, with 23 WC Corps today with approx 135 marchers each, plus 16 Open Corps with approx. 100 marchers each on average, this equals approx 4700 marchers in 2010 DCI...... in " pre DCI" ( say 1962, for example ) there were approx .400 Junior Corps nationwide competing in various regional circuits around the country. If we assume that each competing unit had approx. 65 marchers at that time, that's about 20,000 more marchers competing each year in Junior Corps then, than in DCI today each year. The number of young people marching and competing in 2010 DCI Drum Corps is dwarfed by the numbers that marched each year in pre DCI. No amount of spin can change that fact, Mike.

Edited by BRASSO

You're a good poster, MikeD but you're using " fuzzy math " if you believe that there are more marchers today than in " pre DCI ". For example, with 23 WC Corps today with approx 135 marchers each, plus 16 Open Corps with approx. 100 marchers each on average, this equals approx 4700 marchers in 2010 DCI...... in " pre DCI" ( say 1962, for example ) there were approx .400 Junior Corps nationwide competing in various regional circuits around the country. If we assume that each competing unit had approx. 65 marchers at that time, that's about 20,000 more marchers competing in Corps then, than in DCI today. The number of young people marching and competing in DCI Drum Corps is dwarfed by the numbers that marched in pre DCI. No amount of spin can change that fact, Mike.

You've missed his point. There are thousands of competitive marching bands which have essentially taken over the role of "local drum corps". So Mike is right -- there are many,many more kids participating in the activity (competitive marching music) than there were in the past. In just one local circuit this weekend there are more than 110 units competing. Nationwide I'd guess that number exceeds 2000 (x 65 mpu = 130,000 kids competing on football fields) . That number hobbits your 20,000.

Edited by corpsband

still going with whining little brats who hate on corps religiously.

who would've guessed they'd run rampant in this thread. lol.

never had an issue with people in the stands which leads me to believe it's mostly an internet thing.

just out of curiousity, who in this thread is hating on any corps?

I'm sure DCI wants them as well as the younger band crowd. However, with fewer corps in each decade, that available segment shrinks ever smaller. DCI is doing the proper thing in aiming most of it's efforts at the scholastic kids in HS and college.

yet at the expense of fans they could have kept. IMO, it'd be easier to get some of them back than to attract band kids in the midst of their latest fad

just out of curiousity, who in this thread is hating on any corps?

Is it ok if I start NOW ?