Your ten favorite moments in drum corps history

I FORGIVE the young people on this board for not knowing what the 1983 Garfield Cadets "Z-pull" is. The ancient videos simply do not do it justice.

But for you old folks WHO WERE THERE AND EXPERIENCED IT, there is NO EXCUSE for not having mentioned it before now.

Can I get an "amen?" :smile:

AMEN!!!!!

I saw it live. I know it looks easy to the new crowd, but visually speaking it was one of the most thrilling moments I've ever encountered in drum corps. Seriously - my friends and I sat there with our jaws on the floor. Eventually we snapped out of it and screamed and threw babies. But when it was over we all knew we had just seen the future, and we knew we liked it. A LOT.

I had a similar reaction the first time I saw the "wave" forms (or whatever they are called) that Cavies started to implement in the 90's that led to their brilliant visual offerings of the early 2000's.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In no particular order

84 Cadets tumble, avalanche, pile up in Whitewater

Madison flur de lis & 27 Danny Boy Rotation, Don't know the years

Bridgemen Drum Line 80-82

82 Spirit Drum Solo, Blue Rondo ala Turk, Actaully marching the time signature....beat out 27 who I believe marched it sraight

84 Suncoast Sound, love that show even though 85 gets more love Bomb into a peace sign will beat a bunch of people running around in abstract anyday.

Suncoast Sound forget the year - bass drum run....love it...2 snaps and a twist.

SCV Drum Solo's 79-80-81-82-83-84-87...I wish we had solo's like these insteadof drum breaks.....

SCV Uniform change

Blue Devils 76 to 87...sigh.....I wish.....

1986 watching "lower tier" corps for the first time in Allentown. This should be first really.....

Too many favorite moments in DCI.

But from a performer's side, I'm going to list one, and that was on finals night in 2009. The jazz run in the company front, and seeing the audience jump in the air immediately. I remember looking...that was the most unforgettable moment of my ageout. I nearly lost myself because it never ever happened the entire season until that night.

thought of another to add to my 10: Cavaliers horn line step over the guard - chills, especially with the pause... Bad ###

82 Spirit Drum Solo, Blue Rondo ala Turk, Actaully marching the time signature....beat out 27 who I believe marched it sraight

Ehh...Spirit marched it on the duple/accent, 27 marched it on the triple. 27's arrangement wee-wees all over Spirit's, IMO.

I FORGIVE the young people on this board for not knowing what the 1983 Garfield Cadets "Z-pull" is. The ancient videos simply do not do it justice.

But for you old folks WHO WERE THERE AND EXPERIENCED IT, there is NO EXCUSE for not having mentioned it before now.

Can I get an "amen?" :smile:

...and I'll raise that "amen" to an AMEN!!!!!

To see that unfold and spread across the field with perfect interval and a horn sound that was unique up until that time......not enough words.

In no particular order

84 Cadets tumble, avalanche, pile up in Whitewater

Madison flur de lis & 27 Danny Boy Rotation, Don't know the years

Bridgemen Drum Line 80-82

84 Suncoast Sound, love that show even though 85 gets more love Bomb into a peace sign will beat a bunch of people running around in abstract anyday.

Suncoast Sound forget the year - bass drum run....love it...2 snaps and a twist.

SCV Drum Solo's 79-80-81-82-83-84-87...I wish we had solo's like these insteadof drum breaks.....

SCV Uniform change

Blue Devils 76 to 87...sigh.....I wish.....

1986 watching "lower tier" corps for the first time in Allentown. This should be first really.....

If my memory serves me correctly (I wasn't at the show in 1984...was there another one?), the Garfield pileup was 1983 at Whitewater.

BTW, XmenRam, any year you hear 2-7 playing Danny Boy you can count on a pinwheel :smile:

Thanks. I'm thinking in particular of the one on the Classic Countdown.

I can't list 10 things, it's too hard to whittle my list down to that small of a number.

Having said that, 84 Garfield's company front out of nowhere would be on that list.

I can remember going into the stadium many nights just to see how they did that (we [ BD ] toured with them that year). The flurry of motion across the field, visually overwhelming with that great horn sound, movement, movement, and WHAM company front. No idea it was coming.

That was simply amazing.

Rob