Cavaliers vs Blue Devils

Cadets get talent, but not individual talent at the level say BD does. what the Cadets excel at is getting that talent to go above and beyond what they thought possible, and buying into the team concept.

some of their championship corps were not the most per person talented in DCI. But they were the smartest, hardest working corps out there.

and yes, design and staff helps a lot. if you look at BD's run, many of those guys have been working together for 15 years as a team. that helps a lot

I could not agree more with this statement, and I think what is really hurting PR right now is the staff fluidity at the top. It is very difficult for the staff to work on the same page when it is new every year, and, IMO, has caused some real design weakness in PR's shows in the last 2 years.

But, to finish on the OP, Cavaliers and Blue Devils, as far as preference, is apples and oranges. I have made it clear how I feel about my preference, but they both do what they do very well.

Edited by WOOHOO

I'd definitely include The Cadets in getting the best of the best auditioning for them- and has been stated, more design staff and the product that's created the successes for the corps- really, for years I've felt the Cadets design and conceptual people with a couple of exceptions have been given the parts to build an AMG Mercedes Black Edition (the kids!) and come out of the garage with a Yugo (design staff!)

Also guessing Crown might be pulling in better kids too as of late with their recent finishes. Success draws everyone to you.

[/quote

the thing about crown and cadets is i dont think their pool is completely up there with cavaliers and bd

i think its the approach of the brass staff that makes them sound like they have amazing players. if that makes any sense?

Bluecoats- im not sure id put them up there just because they broke into the top 3. Remember, i said most consistant corps.

• Like 1

I think it depends on staff and what exactly the members are looking for.I'm sure there were plenty of percussion players in Phantom that could make the cut in any corps but they chose to be mentored by Paul Rennick. I know of the same thing happening back in the 90s when Hardimon headed for BK.People left other corps just to be instructed by him.I think it was the same situation with Star as well in 93 with their notable drum staff.

Some kids want medals and awards but some just want to excel at what they love to do and could care less about accolades.

Tier 1- Blue Devils

Tier 2- The Cavaliers, The Cadets

Tier 3- Carolina Crown, Bluecoats

Tier 4- Phantom Regiment, Santa Clara Vanguard

"the thing about crown and cadets is i dont think their pool is completely up there with cavaliers and bd"

Serious Question- in the case of the Cadets- do you believe it's because they haven't won recently? Also- I know that usually their talent pool has been thought of as top end- has this changed over the last season or two?

I understand the whole thing about buying into the team- but I'd say that in every top corps, everyone's buying into the corps, otherwise they'd not get where they are at the end.

Also noted that people going where certain instructors are- I think from observations over the years, that seems to be more a percussion trend, people hooking up with a corps to study under certain well-respected percussion gurus. Not sure of horn line people are as quite so choosy in that manner.

I do NOT think that blue devils are in a tier of their own. Just because they have completely excelled these last two years doesnt mean they are the absolute best in the activity, nor does the fact that they have the most championships. The difference in how good the percussion, brass, and colorguard in the top 5 corps is almost non existant.

The top 5 each year perform shows that are so unbelieveably good, that it is extremely difficult for judges to even say which sections of corps are better than others. Just because Blue Devils win, does not mean they are "that much better" than the other 5 corps.

I do NOT think that blue devils are in a tier of their own. Just because they have completely excelled these last two years doesnt mean they are the absolute best in the activity, nor does the fact that they have the most championships. The difference in how good the percussion, brass, and colorguard in the top 5 corps is almost non existant.

The top 5 each year perform shows that are so unbelieveably good, that it is extremely difficult for judges to even say which sections of corps are better than others. Just because Blue Devils win, does not mean they are "that much better" than the other 5 corps.

LOL... No it is because of the 2nd gunman on the grassy knoll that they win... It has nothing to do with being better consistantly! LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

"the thing about crown and cadets is i dont think their pool is completely up there with cavaliers and bd"

Serious Question- in the case of the Cadets- do you believe it's because they haven't won recently? Also- I know that usually their talent pool has been thought of as top end- has this changed over the last season or two?

Yes, I know plenty of people that have tried out and Blue Devils and Crown, got cut and made Cadets.