Think we'll ever see a Spirit alumni performance?

SF2K4

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With 16 snares (with 2 gok drums each), 8 octets, 13 basses (with rear view mirrors), and silver timps!

Seriously- as a member of the Madison alumni project- if you are a Spirit alum:

Do this. Seriously. Plan it right, get the right people in charge (Paging Freddy Martin and Tom Float...), and do this.

Who wants to be the initiative-taker here and contact some of these people and see if we could make this happen?

Who wants to be the initiative-taker here and contact some of these people and see if we could make this happen?

SOMEONE needs to take the first step. In the case of the BD alum corps in 07, if I hadn't taken the risk of writing David Gibbs it wouldn't've happened. There were others who ended up FAR more involved that I ended up being (Chris Nalls, being one of them), but someone has to take that first step...it doesn;'t really matter who.

SOMEONE needs to take the first step. In the case of the BD alum corps in 07, if I hadn't taken the risk of writing David Gibbs it wouldn't've happened. There were others who ended up FAR more involved that I ended up being (Chris Nalls, being one of them), but someone has to take that first step...it doesn;'t really matter who.

Well I'd be more than happy to send an email to whomever... I'm just not sure who I should contact in this case (the current corps, past administrators, etc.). If someone else doesn't want to do it but could say, "Hey, contact THIS guy!" I'll jump on it.

Well I'd be more than happy to send an email to whomever... I'm just not sure who I should contact in this case (the current corps, past administrators, etc.). If someone else doesn't want to do it but could say, "Hey, contact THIS guy!" I'll jump on it.

Best bet is to contact the exec director, the BOD Chair, and the current corps director...plus an alumni coordinator, if there is one...if nothing else, one of them should point you in the right direction.

They don't list their emails on the Spirit website but they have email forms to send to staff members. I shot a message and mentioned this thread to the people you mentioned sop. Fingers crossed they like the idea, too! :tongue:

You'd absolutely HAVE to get Freddy Martin on board, or it wouldn't be a true Spirit alumni corps. To many of us, he was Spirit (as much if not more than Madison was for so long Scott Stewart). And, by the way, absolutely the best brass instructor I've ever had the chance to work with (with absolutely no disrespect meant to Freddy's brother Dan, or to Scott Boerma, or any of the other great staff at Madison).

You'd absolutely HAVE to get Freddy Martin on board, or it wouldn't be a true Spirit alumni corps. To many of us, he was Spirit (as much if not more than Madison was for so long Scott Stewart). And, by the way, absolutely the best brass instructor I've ever had the chance to work with (with absolutely no disrespect meant to Freddy's brother Dan, or to Scott Boerma, or any of the other great staff at Madison).

Let me add that I had the honor to receive instruction from him this year - I've considered myself incredibly blessed being associated with many quality instructors and performers over many drum corps years, but his knowledge, inspiration, and guidance eclipsed them all. "scary good"!

As far as a Spirit alumni effort, I do believe there are a lot of Spirit alumni frequenting DCP and watching this kind of enthusiasm with great interest. I'm sure the brain cells are firing on this one already.

Other than official Spirit contacts, does anyone have any email addresses for other Spirit people that would be interested? I've seen a few names listed as necessary, like Freddy Martin above. I'd be glad to forward the emails I sent to them if I could get their addresses!