Why is DCI so unknown by almost everyone?

IMO, people aren't still going to these shows for the quality of the music.

Considering the prices (gee just like a DC show :laughing: ) to me it comes down to "Am I going to be entertained enough to spend the $$$$". LOL, been staying home a lot when there's a concert nearby (again like DC but no local DC shows). And again like Drum Corps, what I would spend the bucks for someone else would go "Huh!" and vica versa.

Then again a big part of the concert fun for me is watching audience members make ###holes out of themselves. Not including the 5'10" college age guy who also got his butt kicked by the 5'4" shaved head 40ish biker in front of us at Springsteen at Hershey. All I could think of was "Dude make sure the body falls away from us."

Back OT: When DC was in the mainstream eye, a BIG reason was the cost of going to a show was comparible, if not cheaper than other forms of entertainment. As a result corps were more in the public than the "What's a Drum Corps?" mode of today. Have a few items form the 70s/80s where Drum Corps was part of the punch line of two comic strips (irony is both strips are gone) and a mention on "Captain Kangaroo" (he gone too). Plus a few nice local newspaper articles. Some of the corps might not have been that good but that was to be expected for some shows. With costs of running a corps, that asset is gone forever.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

You mention Madison playing recognizable music. Many corps did do that this season.

Examples

Troopers had clips of Bon Jovi

Pacific Crest had "Sams Gone" from the movie "I am Legend"

Cavailers-Mad World

Crossmen-Played some very popular Metheny tunes that had been done before.

Phantom Regiment-Not everyone knows the "Old Moon in the New Moons Arms" but it sure as hell is easily accessible.

Bluecoats-Played "Aha" by Imogean Heap which was used as background music in an Alice in Wonderland Trailer as well as "160bpm" by Hans Zimmer from Angels and Demons

Pioneer-Played "Swing Low Sweet Chariot" which if you have seen Blazzing Saddles would have at least heard of the title.

Anyone else that knows another corps that did that this year please chime in on this.

It's just the interest of the people and not being exposed enough to the activity that is causing DCI not to be noticed. Still think making a movie to be released in theaters would be a great idea.

See my earlier post - coming from a movie score doesn't make it "accessible" - in 2008, soundtrack (movie and Broadway) sales were less than 4% of total album sales. While we as corps fans / music students are predisposed towards orchestral music and movie scores, very few others are.

(And I submit that the Troopers didn't exactly have sustained quotes of Bon Jovi in the music - that might allow a casual listener to latch on. If anything, you kind of had to play hide and seek with it.)

And in my opinion - no, the Phantom stuff from New Moon that isn't a ballad-type song is hardly "easily accessible" - in fact, it meets the criteria of "stabby and discordant" music almost perfectly.

Mike

And guess what...some folks thought the White album and Let it Be were pretty bad.

Yes.... mostly parents. LOL.

My parents to my older brothers, who loved the Beatles' "psychedelic era" albums: "You boys, listening to that weird, long-hair (stuff).. that's not music. What the heck is wrong with you?" :laughing:

Briefly, here's why older America has forgotten about D&BC and why young America isn't familar with the concept:

Before DCI and all its inbred elitism, there were hometown corps across most of America. Indeed the goal all across D&BC was to have as many corps as possible. The feeling was that there is strength in numbers. When a corps was formed anywhere in America, and particularly in areas where the activity was thin, the whole D&BC community celebrated. When those new corps finally appeared on parade or in competition, they were met with widespread cheers and encouragement, even from would-be rivals.

It was understood across the activity that more corps meant more public awareness of D&BC, and more and nearer and better contests, and more healthy hometown rivalries, and just plain more corps members who could eventually move into senior corps and D&BC leadership and instructional positions and who might eventually start corps of their own, thereby continuing the longterm D&BC healthy growth patterns running from 1915 to 1970 ... when the seeds of elitism took root with the infamous Midwest Combine and its not-so-secret "crap corps" dismissive term leveled against every American corps that the Midwest Combine deemed unworthy of by-invitation-only membership in its secret inbred little world.

At first no one could imagine the damage that would be done by the policies that then emerged, but with all VFW/AL restrictions rescinded, after 1970 D&BC became an expensive and fragile toy upon which the anointed few could experiment their gold-plated show-biz fantasies. The disintegration began slowly when the weaker corps couldn't keep up with the new standards set by the powerbrokers. As the hometown corps faded, so did the hometown contests and eventually so did the public awareness of what's left of the D&BC activity itself which once was such a major part of American life.

wow. never soundtrack sales were THAt low.

and as for Troop, well you could say that strong recognition of Jovi from the Troop was...WANTED

See my earlier post - coming from a movie score doesn't make it "accessible" - in 2008, soundtrack (movie and Broadway) sales were less than 4% of total album sales. While we as corps fans / music students are predisposed towards orchestral music and movie scores, very few others are.

(And I submit that the Troopers didn't exactly have sustained quotes of Bon Jovi in the music - that might allow a casual listener to latch on. If anything, you kind of had to play hide and seek with it.)

And in my opinion - no, the Phantom stuff from New Moon that isn't a ballad-type song is hardly "easily accessible" - in fact, it meets the criteria of "stabby and discordant" music almost perfectly.

Mike

Mike

Ok, I agree on the Bon Jovi in troopers. But take for example two people that I know and have never had an interest in drum corps that I convinced to go to world champs (mainly cuz they would be in AC). They of course liked Madison, but a few groups that caught their attention besides the one I was in that they found accessible with out me giving them any info on them were Phantom, Blue Stars, Pacific Crest(Specifically the ballad cuz it sounded familiar....hmmm), Teal Sound, Pioneer, Cavaliers, and Bluecoats(160bpm and Aha). Oh and neither of them were musicians or music majors at anytime in their lives.

Also, Teal Sound was another one that had familiar, accessible and entertaining music. I mean "Dream Theater" was extremely recognizable to people who had never seen, heard or been to a drum corps show.

P.S On the topic film soundtracks being sold, there's a lack of availability on them so most people just download them illegally rather than go on a search and destroy mission.

Briefly, here's why older America has forgotten about D&BC and why young America isn't familar with the concept:

Before DCI and all its inbred elitism, there were hometown corps across most of America. Indeed the goal all across D&BC was to have as many corps as possible. The feeling was that there is strength in numbers. When a corps was formed anywhere in America, and particularly in areas where the activity was thin, the whole D&BC community celebrated. When those new corps finally appeared on parade or in competition, they were met with widespread cheers and encouragement, even from would-be rivals.

It was understood across the activity that more corps meant more public awareness of D&BC, and more and nearer and better contests, and more healthy hometown rivalries, and just plain more corps members who could eventually move into senior corps and D&BC leadership and instructional positions and who might eventually start corps of their own, thereby continuing the longterm D&BC healthy growth patterns running from 1915 to 1970 ... when the seeds of elitism took root with the infamous Midwest Combine and its not-so-secret "crap corps" dismissive term leveled against every American corps that the Midwest Combine deemed unworthy of by-invitation-only membership in its secret inbred little world.

At first no one could imagine the damage that would be done by the policies that then emerged, but with all VFW/AL restrictions rescinded, after 1970 D&BC became an expensive and fragile toy upon which the anointed few could experiment their gold-plated show-biz fantasies. The disintegration began slowly when the weaker corps couldn't keep up with the new standards set by the powerbrokers. As the hometown corps faded, so did the hometown contests and eventually so did the public awareness of what's left of the D&BC activity itself which once was such a major part of American life.

Wish I'd said this.

One of the most truthful and to the point posts I've read on DCP.

Some may see this as cynical but sometimes the truth hurts.

I admire the manner in which you state what I could not put into words.

Once upon a time it was an activity for the kids, ALL the kids.