Why is DCI so unknown by almost everyone?

Drum corps needs to be able to appeal to any musically inclined person regardless of an association with marching band or drum corps itself, much like the symphony orchestra and opera do.

Edited by Hrothgar15

LOL you think the public knows, or cares, about the difference between the two?

It used to be ridiculously obvious. I could take a neighbor to to a nearby show and get a "holy ####, what the hell was that" response from them when the first mid sized corps came out and ripped their face off. Now I would be more reluctant to take a complete newbie to a show because except for the top 1 or 2 corps at a small show it isn't really much different than marching band to a person that isn't in the know.

It used to be ridiculously obvious. I could take a neighbor to to a nearby show and get a "holy ####, what the hell was that" response from them when the first mid sized corps came out and ripped their face off. Now I would be more reluctant to take a complete newbie to a show because except for the top 1 or 2 corps at a small show it isn't really much different than marching band to a person that isn't in the know.

Oh, it's a "how loud that noise is" thing. Oh well.....

Oh, it's a "how loud that noise is" thing. Oh well.....

Yes, that is part of it. It's not a freakin concert band or symphony. Have you ever heard a kick-### big band live? They're not exactly playing pianissimo the whole time while sipping tea with their pinkies up in the air. Big-loud brass is just as legitimate of a musical sound as a mild mannered concert band.

You need to go back and read up on the history of your corps if you don't think a big brass sound has any place in drum corps.

Edited by DarrenE

Yes, that is part of it. It's not a freakin concert band or symphony. Have you ever heard a kick-### big band live? They're not exactly playing pianissimo the whole time while sipping tea with their pinkies up in the air. Big-loud brass is just as legitimate of a musical sound as a mild mannered concert band.

You need to go back and read up on the history of your corps if you don't think a big brass sound has any place in drum corps.

Like I said, oh well. It's fine if that's important to you, obviously it's not to me. Anyone can play loud. I can play ungodly loud, but so what? It's not impressive to me to blow your brains out, you know?

Edited by WOOHOO