Smaller Corps that were pretty good

1973 Auburn Purple Lancers 34 horns trained by Corky Fabrizio in his heyday...looked good coming out the first day of DCI prelims with the high score. But then the second day scores had a number of corps we had been beating over us. Ended up 17th...

DA

Thought you made finals the one year, corps has a very good rep from that finalist appearance- how many horns that season?

Different era, don't you think? 40 horns was a huge horn line from when I started watching corps in 1964-66 through 1972. If I recall correctly, the '68 Kilties, as big as they sounded, didn't have that many in the horn line.

All that being said, spreading the field with 30 horns is pretty impressive.

KILTIE HORNLINES

1959 - 21

1960 - 27

1961 - 30

1962 - 30

1963 - 36

1964 - 30, + 8 alternates

1965 - 31

1966 - 40

1967 - 36

1968 - 38, - 1 plug

1969 - 39, + 1 spare lead sop

1970 - 39

1971 - 44, at the max

1972 - 42

1973 - 45

1974 - 54

1975 - 53

1976 - 48, by DCI

Edited by HornsUp

Probably the (Greenwich CT.) Stateliners circa early 70's. They came to a show one time with only about 20 brass and maybe 11 perc. I don't what their secret was, but they had the crowd throwing babies at them. We were both impressed and depressed at the same time it that's possible. :tongue:

Squires (Watkins Glen) had a very small corps in 1980 and did well in class "A"

Amen Keith! Loved the Squires. First drum corps show I ever went to the Squires were performing with a bunch of bigger corps. While I loved the bigger corps and all of that brass, I was almost more impressed by the Squires. I came from a small HS band and could really relate to the hard work it took for a small unit to sound good. And the Squires were really good. I think seeing them and having tremendous respect for them helped shaped by holistic (big and little corps) taste toward drum corps.

Thought you made finals the one year, corps has a very good rep from that finalist appearance- how many horns that season?

54 the next year...Geneva Applekockers, Utica Yankees, and the Syracuse Marauders all went inactive. Many of those kids came over and were very talented. The book Corky wrote in 1974 was insane!

Mike, the Woodsiders were a fine corps, like so many others from Newark. After the Penn Jersey Championship in 64 at Newark Schools Stadium, Bob Bunce (who also taught the Woodsiders horn line) lined up both our (Selden Cadets/Woodsiders) hornlines in one big arc to play a really loud fanfare we shared that year. Fantasy. Something like 60 horns wailing away. I think all of Newark heard us that day. This was back in the days of the typical 36 man horn lines. What a rush.

I remember the Woodsiders opening with the "Procession of Bacchus" in the late 60's, a great opener...before BS used it in 72 as their opener.

When the Woodsiders died, the Monarchs/King's Regiment inherited a carload of them around 76 and 77.

So I was thinking of all those great small corps we had in the 1970's and how many were pretty darn good. Some of my favorites were....

Oswego Black Knights, Seneca Princemen (especially 1975), Charioteers, Floridians, Black Watch (WA), Precious Blood Cardinals, Belvederes, Fulton Gauchos, Imperial Regiment, Buckeyes and of course my corps The Royal Coachmen.

Who were yours?

Keith Keith Keith...gotta tell ya, we weren't too good in 75! Musically, we were better in 73 and 74 (the guard, however, was very good all years;-) We had approx 25 guard, 25 drumline, 30 horns and 2 dms, me and Dawn in 75. The corps I agree with you and remember are Black Watch (WA), Precious Blood Cardinals and Belvederes.

I do remember a corps who were small in stature, huge in numbers and played loud and proud and good. They were the 1975 Kiwanis Kavaliers.

How could we get this far into this and no one has mentioned The Marquise from Fond Du Lac, WI?

I guess I just did! :tongue:

How could we get this far into this and no one has mentioned The Marquise from Fond Du Lac, WI?

I guess I just did! :tongue:

um, drop the the and e, Fond du Lac Marquis, heck ya they were good...gotta love competition in the 70's ha!

1973 Auburn Purple Lancers 34 horns trained by Corky Fabrizio in his heyday...looked good coming out the first day of DCI prelims with the high score. But then the second day scores had a number of corps we had been beating over us. Ended up 17th...

DA

Corky taught and arranged for us in 79. I still have a score of Fantasy. I went to college with his daughter. I could never get her to go out with me, though.