Smaller Corps that were pretty good

Here's to raising a beverage of your choice, to all of the small corps that persevered and fielded a competition corps....

Weren't the Bleu Raiders smaller?

Bleu Raeders 72 was around 32 horns +/-

Boston Crusaders. I mean, come on. No corps has persevered as much as they have through the years, and have always been the BA corps no matter their numbers on the field.

But from the more modern era, call me crazy, but I still think Open Class has some of the best corps out there. In 07, Memphis Sound won with I think 20 or so horns, and that show was great. Smaller corps are still kicking, and kicking butt.

And just a question for everyone, what was the smallest corps to make DCI Finals?

Bleu Raeders were probably the smallest, with 75-80 total on the field in '72.

Thank you. I was wondering about that, since I'm from the era of 135+ corps sizes, thinking of a corps with 75-80 making Finals just seems so crazy.

Those DCI finalist corps with less than 100 members were pretty few and far between.

You could count them on one hand (and still have a few fingers left over).

True. I'm sure it's rare, but it's crazy to even think that it would happen.

But when they merged to form Regimente Militaire, I believe, they became the largest corps and thus the reason for the 128 member limit. I remember when RM came to North Tonawanda with 4 coaches....and we had 2 school buses. LOL

Bleu Raeders were probably the smallest, with 75-80 total on the field in '72.

True. I'm sure it's rare, but it's crazy to even think that it would happen.

In the case of the Bleu Raeders, they didn't have to be big to make finals. They only had to have a VERY strong percussion line at prelims (7th place) to make it to finals. They weren't in the top 12 any place else on the sheets, but the percussion section was good enough to lead them to the "promised land".