Smaller Corps that were pretty good

I guess I'll pick corps from my era that were in the 20-35 spots.

Northern Aurora

Railmen

Geneseo Knights

Avant Garde

Ventures

St Francis Xavier Sanctions

20th Maine Regiment

L'insolite / Connexion Quebec

Limited Edition

Marauders (Washington)

Canadian Knights

Emerald Knights

Argonauts

Americanos

Wow- I was just 14 years old when I marched a small Class A 60 corps The Arizona Musketeers. although we were not very good, I remeber sitting in Badger Stadium and watching all these corps - many in their last year. Venutres were all female and won Class A right? Avante Guard went away after 1985 right? Argonauts were from Oregon correct? geneseo Knights did Jesus Christ Superstar correct? Man I miss those days!

In the case of the Bleu Raeders, they didn't have to be big to make finals. They only had to have a VERY strong percussion line at prelims (7th place) to make it to finals. They weren't in the top 12 any place else on the sheets, but the percussion section was good enough to lead them to the "promised land".

Marty Hurley's first DCI finalist drum line, before Belleville or Phantom.

Wow- I was just 14 years old when I marched a small Class A 60 corps The Arizona Musketeers. although we were not very good, I remeber sitting in Badger Stadium and watching all these corps - many in their last year. Venutres were all female and won Class A right? Avante Guard went away after 1985 right? Argonauts were from Oregon correct? geneseo Knights did Jesus Christ Superstar correct? Man I miss those days!

I remember waiting to get on the shuttle bus to the stadium in Madison in 1985.

We visited with parents from the AZ Musketeers.

Your memories of the other corps were spot on.

So I was thinking of all those great small corps we had in the 1970's and how many were pretty darn good. Some of my favorites were....

Oswego Black Knights, Seneca Princemen (especially 1975), Charioteers, Floridians, Black Watch (WA), Precious Blood Cardinals, Belvederes, Fulton Gauchos, Imperial Regiment, Buckeyes and of course my corps The Royal Coachmen.

Who were yours?

75 Princemen? Ugh ... we were TERRIBLE that year! I'd say 74 followed by 73. Thanks for the compliment though.

Not sure if they qualify as "smaller", but I really enjoyed the Polish Falcon Cadets, the Squires and the Woodbridge/Edison Saints...

Oh..and those PAL Philadelphia Police Cadets...man they were the bomb!

I loved Polish Falcons from 73 - 75.

They had some really good corps in the 1970s.

In 1971, myself and the rest of the members of my junior corps stayed at the homes of members of the Imperials for the World Open that year. And we returned the favor when the Imperials came to our home show in NJ that summer.

Mid-1970s....'74-76, basically... we saw the Imperials at a few shows, and I remember they had a relatively small baritone line (nine, 10 people or so).... but man, could that bari line flat-out bring it. Great sound.

I thought they were really good in 73.

54 the next year...Geneva Applekockers, Utica Yankees, and the Syracuse Marauders all went inactive. Many of those kids came over and were very talented. The book Corky wrote in 1974 was insane!

That was a really good year for the corps. From what I remember, brass was the corps strength.

But when they merged to form Regimente Militaire, I believe, they became the largest corps and thus the reason for the 128 member limit. I remember when RM came to North Tonawanda with 4 coaches....and we had 2 school buses. LOL

That might have been 74. They were good that year.

No one has mentioned the Keystone Regiment yet. I'm glad to see Squires, Belvedears (sp?), Southern Tier, Black Watch, Marquis and the Charioteers on this list though.

Edited by A Cavalier TDY

• 2 months later...

I see a video of the Emerald Knights playing their closer in 1977 has hit Youtube. I will not link it for fear of getting yelled at, but I don't think a dissolved corps playing a 200 or so year old tune 33 years ago is infringing any copyrights. Particularly considering no recording of the Emerald Knights was ever released by DCI. EK placed 30th in 1977.

geneseo Knights did Jesus Christ Superstar correct? Man I miss those days!

Yes. Yes, we did. In 1985. In my completely biased opinion, the best small corps show of its time. (Maybe of any time.)