Smaller Corps that were pretty good

In that regard they were similar to the Tornadoes from Fairfield, CT. Back in either '82 or '83 they had 10 snares, but their hornline numbered in the 20s.

I read that as...

In that regard they were similar to the Tomatoes from Fairfield, CT.

:tongue:

But when they merged to form Regimente Militaire, I believe, they became the largest corps and thus the reason for the 128 member limit. I remember when RM came to North Tonawanda with 4 coaches....and we had 2 school buses. LOL

I "thought" they traveled with the 2 Silver Eagles from the Raeders and the 3 "dogs" from the Stardusters ?

You might have been low on the bus count

Northmen were cool. I think about 25 brass and ten snares-massive battery.

1985 Northmen had a huge battery 10 snares, 6 bass drums and 5 tenors, and we were A class. Made 5th in finals in A class as well. We did have a small horn line, but still put out a great sound.

I read that as...

In that regard they were similar to the Tomatoes from Fairfield, CT.

:tongue:

Back in the day in those local circuits, I think we competed against some tomato-can corps. LOL.

So I was thinking of all those great small corps we had in the 1970's and how many were pretty darn good. Some of my favorites were....

Oswego Black Knights, Seneca Princemen (especially 1975), Charioteers, Floridians, Black Watch (WA), Precious Blood Cardinals, Belvederes, Fulton Gauchos, Imperial Regiment, Buckeyes and of course my corps The Royal Coachmen.

Who were yours?

do I get any extra points for having founded two of the 11 corps he mentioned in post 1? Oswego and Fulton... and having been co-director of Oswego?

Funny that as a former Rochester Patriot instructor Keith didn't mention them... many good years during my 23 years with the corps, never a large horn line... I'll stack the 2000 Div II winning corps against any small corps in memory...

Honorable mention to some already listed... especially Ken Turner's Appalachian Grenadiers... and Steve Rondinaro's Watkins Glen Squires... had the priviledge to judge both at their best and they might not have had huge numbers but they sure knew what to do with what they had.

I guess I'll pick corps from my era that were in the 20-35 spots.

Northern Aurora

Railmen

Geneseo Knights

Avant Garde

Ventures

St Francis Xavier Sanctions

20th Maine Regiment

L'insolite / Connexion Quebec

Limited Edition

Marauders (Washington)

Canadian Knights

Emerald Knights

Argonauts

Americanos

I was in awe as I rode my bicycle to see where they were going. I may have been low.

I "thought" they traveled with the 2 Silver Eagles from the Raeders and the 3 "dogs" from the Stardusters ?

You might have been low on the bus count

I didn't mean to leave the Patriots off at all. I was thinking 1970's...my time with the Patriots I will treasure as I met a lot of good people there, including you Tom!

do I get any extra points for having founded two of the 11 corps he mentioned in post 1? Oswego and Fulton... and having been co-director of Oswego?

Funny that as a former Rochester Patriot instructor Keith didn't mention them... many good years during my 23 years with the corps, never a large horn line... I'll stack the 2000 Div II winning corps against any small corps in memory...

Honorable mention to some already listed... especially Ken Turner's Appalachian Grenadiers... and Steve Rondinaro's Watkins Glen Squires... had the priviledge to judge both at their best and they might not have had huge numbers but they sure knew what to do with what they had.