some names from the past ; NJ instructors and judges

thinking about NJ corps in the 60's and 70's.....names from the past ; instructors and judges........Walter Kelley, Ralph Fair, Cal Denniston, John Zamorski, Moe Kazazian, Hugo Averelli, Sonny Cantaneo, Frank Kubinak, Larry Scott, Bernie Baggs,

Jim Prime Sr.

I'm sure there are many more that should be mentioned.......these are a few I remember.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thinking about NJ corps in the 60's and 70's.....names from the past ; instructors and judges........Walter Kelley, Ralph Fair, Cal Denniston, John Zamorski, Moe Kazazian, Hugo Averelli, Sonny Cantaneo, Frank Kubinak, Larry Scott, Bernie Baggs,

Jim Prime Sr.

I'm sure there are many more that should be mentioned.......these are a few I remember.

Bobby Thompson, Jim Costello, Al Mura, Bill Hayes......

Edited by Fossil50

Jim Prime Sr.

... and on the drum side there was Danny Raymond, Ed Fitzgerald, Bobby Peterson, Art Mura, Lefty Petrakis, Walter Mullins, George Lopez ... and a slew of others ...

:-)

... and on the drum side there was Danny Raymond, Ed Fitzgerald, Bobby Peterson, Art Mura, Lefty Petrakis, Walter Mullins, George Lopez ... and a slew of others ...

Andy, does this make us "uber Old"?

Jim Prime Sr.

Oh man... Carmine Cilencione (?sp?); Bernie Baggs II; Joan Marie Penny; Glen Eng; Harry Hazlewood; Bucky Swan; Larry Kerchner; Jeff Kievit; Rich DiCarlo; Jimmy Hurley; Jimmy O'Hara; Bobby Thompson (man - never forget Bobby Thompson or nothing means anything!!!); Carl Ruocco; Dennis Delucia; Bobby Hoffman; Dick Burns... where do we stop?

I think some of your guys there are actually Philly guys but there was a lot of overlap.

A genius at drill..and it was all done in his head....Jack Taylor of the Monarchs and King's Regiment.

Drum instructor and judge Ken DeStephens who did a great job with the Cranford Patriots. He and I judged together a lot in the GSC, and I taught the Monarchs/King's Regiment while he was teaching Cranford. A VERY great person.

Jack Pratt...I spent a lot of time at his house in Hawthorne when we worked together with the KR.

Oh man... Carmine Cilencione (?sp?); Bernie Baggs II; Joan Marie Penny; Glen Eng; Harry Hazlewood; Bucky Swan; Larry Kerchner; Jeff Kievit; Rich DiCarlo; Jimmy Hurley; Jimmy O'Hara; Bobby Thompson (man - never forget Bobby Thompson or nothing means anything!!!); Carl Ruocco; Dennis Delucia; Bobby Hoffman; Dick Burns... where do we stop?

I think some of your guys there are actually Philly guys but there was a lot of overlap.

right on the money Ray, two of my first DC instructors on your list. Carmine ( Cirlincione ) & Bucky Swan

"Jersey Giants":

JIM DONNELLY!!!!!! :w00t: THE "Music Man" for the many times National Junior Champion St Vincents Cadets. One of the FIRST "Bugle Instructors" to get the horns to actually MAKE MUSIC!!!

MICKEY PETRONE!!!!! :tongue: St Vincents director and drill instructor. Taught Woodsiders and St Lucys Cadets after St Vinnies folded, Ballantine Brewers, and was "CEO" of DCA right up until his death,

Although hailing from NYC's "Brroklyn" Mt Carmel Cadets, "Jumpin Joe" Genero taught the Hawthorne Caballeros in the late 1950's and early sixties, and NY Skyliners "Main Man" Hy Drietzer had av few seasons with the Garfield Cadets. Delaware's Larry Kerchner wrote for and taught the St Andrews Bridgemen and Muchachos (Among many others). :satisfied:

Some "Jersey Judges" can include the "Mafouse" family, the Demko's, Don Angelica, Jimmy D'Amico, and Frank Pissillo.

Elphaba

Edited by elphaba01

Andy, does this make us "uber Old"?

It sure do Timmy ... it sure do ...