G8

DC Guy

Full Article

Excerpt:

"New Experimental Events

Being planned separately from the traditional format of the 2011 tour will be a handful of experimental drum corps events, also produced by Drum Corps International. The top eight finishing corps from 2010 have been invited to participate in this series, which will feature additional competitive and non-competitive performance material developed beyond the corps’ standard 11.5 minute production.

“This series will give us the opportunity to explore several new elements in the production of our events using a number of our very best ensembles,” said Mark Arnold, Chairman of the Board of Drum Corps International and Executive Director of the Blue Knights Drum and Bugle Corps. “By creating these unique opportunities for our corps and our fans, we hope to develop exciting new features for future DCI events, helping us to expand our audience while providing a thrilling and engaging experience for everyone.”

A unique competitive environment is also being developed for the experimental series which may include judging techniques not currently utilized under current DCI rules. Further details are in the preliminary stages of development, with additional information expected following the annual meeting in January. "

Your thoughts?

Had to know the Grey Stars would join the

greedy 7.

Remember the old Peter Sellers Movie "Suppose They Gave A War... and Nobody Came" ???

Substitute the term G8 Tour for War and you have my feelings, and my intentions.

Had to know the Grey Stars would join the

greedy 7.

Without knowing facts, that's an unfair statement. The G7 proposed a G8 series from the beginning ........ with the 8th corps to be determined by competitive finish at DCI finals. This also meant that G7 corps did not have a guaranteed spot in the G8 in the future. There were clear provisions on what qualified you for the series and what disqualified you from the series.

I would suggest reading more on the original G7 proposal and the World Series of Drum Corps proposal that came after. That might just clear some things up for those who wish to be upset with the corps who came in 8th place in 2010.

I still think the series sucks ....... but it was a bargaining chip that in some respect, the G7 is getting in the wash. Don't expect to see me at any of these events. I don't want to hurt these corps, but I would encourage others to sit their butts at home and make a statement to the Greedy 7 that you can't have your cake and eat it too.

Further, what I really want to see happen is Madison finish in the top 8 for the next 3 years and then decline to be involved in the G8 series events. That would make this alum supremely happy. Should they choose to partake ...... I would have a serious bone to pick with Mr. Mason after going on the record with his opposition to the format.

It appears that there will be some "special events" in 2011 that feature the 7 corps that were behind the infamous proposal. Having their own events was indeed one of the many ideas in that proposal. There were also many, many other aspects to that proposal that have not happened.

Having the 8th place corps from 2010 (who were also in the top 8 in 2009 and 2008) participating in those 2011 special events does not mean anything beyond the fact that they are participating in those events. I do not believe their participation means that the Blue Stars are now somehow supporting any of the other ideas, philosophies or assertions wrapped up in the May proposal.

Until we see any actions to the contrary, you should take this at face value, IMO.

Without knowing facts, that's an unfair statement. The G7 proposed a G8 series from the beginning ........ with the 8th corps to be determined by competitive finish at DCI finals. This also meant that G7 corps did not have a guaranteed spot in the G8 in the future. There were clear provisions on what qualified you for the series and what disqualified you from the series.

I would suggest reading more on the original G7 proposal and the World Series of Drum Corps proposal that came after. That might just clear some things up for those who wish to be upset with the corps who came in 8th place in 2010.

I still think the series sucks ....... but it was a bargaining chip that in some respect, the G7 is getting in the wash. Don't expect to see me at any of these events. I don't want to hurt these corps, but I would encourage others to sit their butts at home and make a statement to the Greedy 7 that you can't have your cake and eat it too.

If it means more money, Madison, like any other corps, would join the group in a second.

A unique competitive environment is also being developed for the experimental series which may include judging techniques not currently utilized under current DCI rules. Further details are in the preliminary stages of development, with additional information expected following the annual meeting in January. "

How about this for an experimental judging panel?

Paula Abdoul

David Hasselhoff

A Russian figure skating judge

Judge Joe Brown

Judge Dredd

Judge Reinhold

Doyle Gammill

If it means more money, Madison, like any other corps, would join the group in a second.

Maybe... maybe not. I know a Corps Director that has turned down gigs in the past out of principle, even though in the short term it costs the Corps some money. I know it's hard to believe, but I 'd like to THINK that not all current DCI Corps Directors make all their decisions based upon how much money it will make for them ( while not discounting the need for adequate revenues to properly run their Corps ). But I guess we'll find out in time if money trumps all other considerations now won't we ?

Edited by BRASSO

I'm reserving judgement until we know more information. I will bet tho, that woodwinds be allowed in in some fashion to these shows