Mark Petrash

He has been convicted, so the judging has happened. Now we find out if he is still welcomed by the activity. Some will have no problem with this.

Oh, you don't think...

Do you?

Please tell me this couldn't happen.

Isn't registering as a sex-offender a lifetime sentence?

This is a bigger issue than many folks want to admit; here is how I weighed in after other such incidents in marching pageantry.

This is a bigger issue than many folks want to admit; here is how I weighed in after other such incidents in marching pageantry.

This is a good point, and . . .aside from the personality referenced in this thread . . .brings up a larger issue: should DCI (and other music orgs) look at a "code of ethics" similar to what's in place with the NEA and elsewhere?

Let's expand the scope of the thread beyond this isolated incident for a while: what are the pros (and cons) of creating a educator code of ethics in regards to our activity?

This is a good point, and . . .aside from the personality referenced in this thread . . .brings up a larger issue: should DCI (and other music orgs) look at a "code of ethics" similar to what's in place with the NEA and elsewhere?

Let's expand the scope of the thread beyond this isolated incident for a while: what are the pros (and cons) of creating a educator code of ethics in regards to our activity?

Well, I think doing so is a good idea, as long as there isn't the impression it will work as a screening tool. At best it would give clear policy guidlines for how to deal with something after the fact, and let people know from the get go what DCI's expectations of do's and dont's are. I guess I don't really see any cons at all to having a code of ethics in any situation.

Edited by BozzlyB

I'm pretty sure they do, to an extent. Do we know for a fact that DCI has previously allowed recently convicted sex offenders to judge events? There are always plenty of rumors about various staff, administrators, and judges in the drum corps activity: many of them without proof or conviction. But to the best of my knowledge I can't recall DCI hiring a judge who had been convicted of a sex offense. I could be wrong, of course, but I'd be surprised. It's not good PR for a youth oriented activity to knowingly employ sex offenders.

I'm pretty sure they do, to an extent. Do we know for a fact that DCI has previously allowed recently convicted sex offenders to judge events? There are always plenty of rumors about various staff, administrators, and judges in the drum corps activity: many of them without proof or conviction. But to the best of my knowledge I can't recall DCI hiring a judge who had been convicted of a sex offense. I could be wrong, of course, but I'd be surprised. It's not good PR for a youth oriented activity to knowingly employ sex offenders.

LOL you can say that again, it's like suicide for a youth activity to go there.

From a different angle, a robust screening mechanism for such proclivities and past-actions that is well-promoted and advertised might also go a long way to address any fears that potential MM's parents might have.

And, IMO, NOT using it as a screening tool for convictions that a felon might try to cover up would be a waste of effort. What the activity does to a guilty party after the fact is of little concern to a parent whose child has been violated.

From a different angle, a robust screening mechanism for such proclivities and past-actions that is well-promoted and advertised might also go a long way to address any fears that potential MM's parents might have.

And, IMO, NOT using it as a screening tool for convictions that a felon might try to cover up would be a waste of effort. What the activity does to a guilty party after the fact is of little concern to a parent whose child has been violated.

Deciding not to hire someone based on past convictions is vastly different than trying to identify the potential for this kind of behavior, which is why I was pointing out its faults as a screening tool. You don't need an ethics code to do background checks. I guess my point is that in this particular case, having the ethics code in place would have done nothing to screen out Mark P, and would only serve as a guidline for how to deal with things now after the conviction if he tries to continue working in DCI.

Edited by BozzlyB