Championships lost to penalties

jras

The Cavaliers received a 2.0 penalty at prelims, and would have been 5th place without it. They didn't get any penalties at finals, and jumped up to 3rd.

The written report on that 1970 VFW performance by the Cavaliers stated that one of the things overheard on the messed-up p.a. system was a radio broadcast of somebody giving the recipe for chicken cacciatore :tongue:

I suppose anything is possible....but all I hear on the recording of that performance is some stray thumps during their OTL. Granted, those could have been distracting....but I don't hear any recipes being given over the stadium PA during their performance.

How about TWO titles lost due to penalties .... and both being for the same thing.

In the prehistoric days of 1971, Blue Rock lost the Shriners International in Toronto, and the infamous Dream in Jersey City due to 2.0 point American Flag violations ...... both shows to 27th Lancers.

As Byline and other have suggested, the ’78 “loss” was not the result of a dropped rifle and we never looked at it that way. Rather, a more direct correlation to the loss could be found in the GE M&M score going from 9.8 in prelims to 9.6 at finals. 3 of the top 5 increased their score in that caption, one stayed the same and the Regiment dropped, from 3rd to 6th. Looking for something to blame, there it is.

• 5 months later...

That is a wild story.

I wonder if that was the biggest prelims-to-finals jump in drum corps history?

I was on staff at Phantom Regiment in 96.

At quarterfinals we were in 4th, 4.3 points out of first.

Two nights later we tied for first.

Re: the "dropped rifle" controversy. I'm glad to see the clarification of a lower score in the M&M analysis. That said, I swear Rondo and the other moderators make mention of the dropped rifle in the 1979 PBS broadcast the following year--of course, Rondo was quick to point out that the rifle drop was the mistake "most people remember" but that there could have been other mistakes not as visible or obvious. Perhaps that on-air discussion added to the myth of Phantom's loss by a dropped rifle?

Re: the "dropped rifle" controversy. I'm glad to see the clarification of a lower score in the M&M analysis. That said, I swear Rondo and the other moderators make mention of the dropped rifle in the 1979 PBS broadcast the following year--of course, Rondo was quick to point out that the rifle drop was the mistake "most people remember" but that there could have been other mistakes not as visible or obvious. Perhaps that on-air discussion added to the myth of Phantom's loss by a dropped rifle?

I used to have a videotape copy of the telecast, but unfortunately it got lost in the shuffle. So, going by my admittedly sketchy memory, I can't remember if Rondo actually brought it up during the '79 telecast. Maybe he did, and if so, it's just one of those unfortunate exchanges that cements things in the minds of people. In Rondo's defense, if your recollection is accurate, then he was actually giving an honest and fair overview of the situation. It is, sadly, one of those things that people remember (partly because of how heart-wrenching it was to see the entire rifle line surround the sobbing girl at retreat, trying to console her). But, in the end, it was just another tick, not any more or less important than the others.

I suppose anything is possible....but all I hear on the recording of that performance is some stray thumps during their OTL. Granted, those could have been distracting....but I don't hear any recipes being given over the stadium PA during their performance.

OT a wee bit.... but a few years ago at the DCA season opener in Wildwood, a radio station intruded on the PA system's frequency. LOL.

At first we were like, "Which corps is warming up? You can hear them here in the stadium"... then we realized it wasn't a corps, it was the radio station!

...though after listening to their show you had this strong urge to have Italian food for dinner! :tongue:

• 2 weeks later...

Obviously, since it was only a tenth of a point loss, and the dropped rifle is a more obvious "tick," that is what most people believe to be the truth. While she took it the hardest because penalties were a part of the process, to a man/woman, no one EVER blamed her.

Edited by Rocketman